2023 KI shows announced

BoddaH1994

1 hour ago, brenthodge said:

Not impressed-the 50th is seeming less and less special now in hindsight. Maybe PTE I get, but the others seem like a total rehash. Oh well, at least they will taste good reheated. 

In the past, most shows would go on a 2 year run so I'm not surprised to see shows like Off the rails, Phantom Theater Encore, and 70s on Demand. 

• Like 5

Yea figured most of the new shows would be back since they rarely only last a single season. I did wonder about PTE as I could see it having been made exclusively for the 50th/ But as you said most of the shows do a 2 year run. Plus it was a very popular and well received show, so it makes sense to bring it back.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, purdude86 said:

Yea figured most of the new shows would be back since they rarely only last a single season. I did wonder about PTE as I could see it having been made exclusively for the 50th/ But as you said most of the shows do a 2 year run. Plus it was a very popular and well received show, so it makes sense to bring it back.

You really think they’d only use all the development cost they put into that show in one year? 

Off The Rails was the questionable one. Huge cast, outside contractors, speciality skills. Probably a pretty expensive show. Of course, terribly under-recognized too. I’m glad it’s back. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

You really think they’d only use all the development cost they put into that show in one year? 

Off The Rails was the questionable one. Huge cast, outside contractors, speciality skills. Probably a pretty expensive show. Of course, terribly under-recognized too. I’m glad it’s back. 

I went to see Off The Rails once and it was like 15 minutes long?

I am glad that the shows have finally been announced. That being said, I was surprised the 70's show was coming back as I thought that was a 50th-specific show

Spoiler

as it talks about Kings Island's early days

. However, I'm still looking forward to seeing it and glad to see Phantom (and Larry!) and Off The Rails are coming back.

• Like 1

Absolutely fine with the line up.  Reminds me of the old days when shows would get 2-year runs.  However, back in the day the shows were staggered so every year there was a new show or two.  Made it easier for creative to come up with one or two new shows a year rather than all of them at once.  Maybe they'll get back to that rotation, it gave the regulars something new to look forward to show-wise every year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stoan said:

I went to see Off The Rails once and it was like 15 minutes long?

They have a heat protocol for days that are over 90 or so degrees that cuts out some elements of the show. That’s probably what you saw. Fifteen minutes seems generous, I think it was more like 10. Regardless, give the show another shot!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JimParker85 said:

I wonder if any serious thought has been given to renovation at Boo Blasters back into Phantom Theater. I know guests talk about it a lot, but the park has to be impressed with the great reception to the show. 

Ik Mike did hint at potentially redoing Boo Blasters at Coasterstock last year with better technology. He mainly referenced Toy Story as an idea for what type of dark ride he is looking at. However I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Phantom Theater is what they would want to do theme wise as it would be aknowledging their past and would be very nostalgic to those who today have families and kids of their own to relive those memories. Knott's did something similar back in 2020/21 with Berry Tales. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Ik Mike did hint at potentially redoing Boo Blasters at Coasterstock last year with better technology. He mainly referenced Toy Story as an idea for what type of dark ride he is looking at. However I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Phantom Theater is what they would want to do theme wise as it would be aknowledging their past and would be very nostalgic to those who today have families and kids of their own to relive those memories. Knott's did something similar back in 2020/21 with Berry Tales. 

I went to Disney a few months back and rode Mickey and Minnie Run Away Train. Phenomenal dark ride, very few mechanics mostly projectors and music. The ride car itself adds a lot to the experience. Almost nothing to break down without the car itself just being broken

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I’d certainly hope it wouldn’t be as screen heavy as Berry Tales. A lot of the charm of the original ride was due to the nature of its physicality. Real sets, real props, real characters. 

Toy Story Mania tech is already dated. The shooter style dark ride is even more dated. The majority of the most popular dark rides lack any kind of shooting element. It’s not necessary. 

(I agree with you, though. That would be the most likely scenario. That said… I hope not)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, beastfan11 said:

The majority of the most popular dark rides lack any kind of shooting element.

I never really got the point of “shooting” rides. Sure the overall goal is to earn points but I personally I like to ride rides to well…. RIDE. If I wanted to look at a screen and shoot at things I’d be at home. I understand wanting to appeal to the “gaming” audience with all these high tech rides but the novelty wears off quick. As you said, most popular dark rides are just that: dark rides.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 great shooters out there, IMO. Cupfusion at Hershey and MIB at Universal. Both of these have a potential max score. Both are great rides. Cardboard blacklight cutouts are certainly dated.  I like Toy Story and have it in tier 2. 

Both hold a good line and keep people occupied. Once you're hooked, you have to keep riding until you max out. 

Reese's Cupfusion might be the worst dark ride I have ever ridden. It's pretty much all video screens and anything physical is two-dimensional. There's no dimensionality at all to any of the set pieces. No real animatronics. I rode it last year when I worked at Hersheypark and was not impressed whatsoever. I sure hope any new dark ride wouldn't be like that one.

I can see that point of view.  I like the teamwork it takes to unlock things, etc.  I like the leaderboard outside and shooting for maxing it out. 

But yes, it's a glorified video game.  Just well done for a park shooter, has personality, and is bright.  It's also fun for a group of people together. 

Curious what this walking Minions thing ends up being at Universal.  Guessing it's strictly screens and more Cupfusion like than MIB.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jimlaheyscar said:

I can see that point of view.  I like the teamwork it takes to unlock things, etc.  I like the leaderboard outside and shooting for maxing it out. 

But yes, it's a glorified video game.  Just well done for a park shooter, has personality, and is bright.  It's also fun for a group of people together. 

Curious what this walking Minions thing ends up being at Universal.  Guessing it's strictly screens and more Cupfusion like than MIB.

We are going to be at Universal the first 1/2 of June.  Hoping the Minions shooter will be open.

• Like 2

I personally really enjoyed the dark ride shooter Ghostwood Estate at Kennywood. The shooting tech was more similar to Men in Black at Universal but the amount of animatronics and sets was absolutely amazing. I also really enjoyed the Houdini themed mad house at Six Flags Great Adventure and I wouldn't be opposed to a phantom theater mad house attraction. I boo blaster needs to go ASAP but if they want to bring Phantom Theater back, they need to do it right which is no screens and preferably no shooting (in my opinion) just make a really really solid story ride with really good sets and animatronics. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think a Phantom Theater revival would be huge for the park and the area. I just hope they could mix technology and physical effects. It is worth a true budget.

Seriously, people who've never been to Disney or have only been once are even obsessed with some of their rides like the Haunted Mansion. They're just super special and people love them. 

People would talk about a PT revival more than they talked about Orion, at least locally. 

If they want to keep the guns just turn them into "cameras" and act like you're there as a ghost hunter. lol Although I think the whole gun thing is really a dated distraction, and it's better without them. Once you put that interactive element in you're going to be compared to rides like TS Mania. But you can have a great creative ride without them that stands on it's own.

It's amazing to me that a child can be expelled from school for drawing a crude gun or holding their hand in the shape of a gun, but shooting dark rides are still in parks. Being the safe, family oriented chain, Cedar Fair should remove this aspect of their dark rides. 

• Confused 3

33 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

It's amazing to me that a child can be expelled from school for drawing a crude gun or holding their hand in the shape of a gun, but shooting dark rides are still in parks. Being the safe, family oriented chain, Cedar Fair should remove this aspect of their dark rides. 

And stay off my lawn ;)

But yeah you make a good point of where society is as it relates to shooting things...