2023 Live Entertainment Discussions

IndyGuy4KI

I know it’s an unpopular opinion. But phantom encore was a disappointment.

Maybe they could tweak it this year and the magician could actually do a magic show… or the stunt man could do acrobatic feats or actual stunts.

But compared to cirque shows, it was pretty meh. Especially if you had no nostalgic tie to phantom theater. (Ie kids)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chuck norris said:

Maybe they could tweak it this year and the magician could actually do a magic show… or the stunt man could do acrobatic feats or actual stunts.

But compared to cirque shows, it was pretty meh. Especially if you had no nostalgic tie to phantom theater. (Ie kids)

Blasphemy!  I hope Hilda Bovine taunts you in your sleep! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, chuck norris said:

I haven't seen it in person and don't know how the show comes across live, but watching through a video... It was kinda cringe at some parts. Does it come off that way in person?

5 hours ago, chuck norris said:

Cirque Imagine was amazing.   It had moving music and great stunts timed to the music.    It went downhill from there though with the following two shows.

They still had a cirque show at Canadas Wonderland last year called Tundra.   It was almost horrible.   

I found Phantom Theater corny.   It’s definitely not material were the performers can showcase vocals, choreography skills etc.   But it’s a show that can keep the attention of kids along with adults.  

The Kings Island theater is such a great venue. It would be nice to see a full production  vocal and choreographed show there again some day.     

12 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

I haven't seen it in person and don't know how the show comes across live, but watching through a video... It was kinda cringe at some parts. Does it come off that way in person?

The show by FAR had the longest lines for the last 2 shows of ANY show at Kings Island.  The lines streached to Delerium on one side and the Main gate on the other.  Looking forward to seeing again.  (Plus it was 4th in the Golden Ticket for Shows last year.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, robintodd said:

The show by FAR had the longest lines for the last 2 shows of ANY show at Kings Island.  The lines streached to Delerium on one side and the Main gate on the other.  Looking forward to seeing again.  (Plus it was 4th in the Golden Ticket for Shows last year.

Cirque Imagine had similar lines for the last few shows as well....

22 hours ago, Cedar Fair Fanboy said:

Some Mascot news.

Marcie is at Kings Island.jpgHello pal.jpg

Marcie is now at Kings Island

Snoopy's new look.jpgHugs.jpg

Snoopy got a new look.

19 hours ago, Snowball said:

I love that they have Marcie now!

Peanuts Worldwide have updated the designs of a lot of their mascots this year. Snoopy’s collar is made from a different material and the fur is noticeably different, softer. Marcie and Pigpen are new to KI (or at least were not present last season as far as I can tell) and have very cute portraits on the side of the Great Pumpkin coaster. KI seems to have nearly all of them on rotation in the Meet and Greet area. Nice amount of backgrounds and cutouts for photos. At different times on Saturday there were Charlie, Lucy, Linus, Patty, Marcie, Pigpen, Schroder, Franklin, Woodstock and Snoopy! I did not see Sally anytime but I could’ve easily missed it. It was pretty busy each time I went in. Next time I hope things are a bit slower in order to get some clearer pictures of everything.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2023 at 6:18 PM, chuck norris said:

love your screenname, buddy!

no kids here - but I loved the Phantom show  & that feeling definitely wouldn't have been there  without the nostalgia factor. 

I have heard drones are coming back from internet chatter but I wouldn't be disappointed if they don't as the 50th was a special occasion. 

I think they announced it last year as part of their 50th hype, but other than generic marketing references and pa announcements, I don't recall an announcement about the show.

It drones come back, I want them to have cameras. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Showtimes have been posted on the official site. The schedules appear to shift a bit during Grand Carnivale:

Phantom Theater Encore

May 27 - 29 | June 1 - July 21: 2:00 PM, 3:00 PM, 4:30 PM & 5:30 PM
July 22 - August 6: 2:00 PM, 3:00 PM & 4:00 PM
August 7 - 13: 2:00 PM, 3:00 PM, 4:30 PM & 5:30 PM

No shows Mondays.

The 70s on Demand

May 27 - 29 | June 1 - July 21 1:00 PM, 2:30 PM, 3:30 PM & 5:00 PM
July 22 - August 6: 2:00 PM, 3:00 PM & 4:30 PM
August 7 - 13: 1:00 PM, 2:30 PM, 3:30 PM & 5:00 PM

No shows Wednesdays.

RetroSpect 

May 27 - 29 | June 1 - July 21: 7:15 PM, 8:00 PM, 8:30 PM, 9:15 PM & 9:45 PM
July 22 - August 6: 6:15 PM, 8:00 PM, 8:30 PM, 9:15 PM & 9:45 PM
August 7 - 13: 7:15 PM, 8:00 PM, 8:30 PM, 9:15 PM & 9:45 PM

No shows Tuesdays.

Off the Rails

June 10 - July 21: 1:30 PM, 3:00 PM, 4:30 PM & 6:00 PM
July 22 - August 6: 2:30 PM, 3:30 PM & 5:00 PM
August 7 - 13: 1:30 PM, 3:00 PM, 4:30 PM & 6:00 PM

No shows Thursdays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Timchat2 said:

Showtimes have been posted on the official site. The schedules appear to shift a bit during Grand Carnivale:

Phantom Theater Encore

May 27 - 29 | June 1 - July 21: 2:00 PM, 3:00 PM, 4:30 PM & 5:30 PM
July 22 - August 6: 2:00 PM, 3:00 PM & 4:00 PM
August 7 - 13: 2:00 PM, 3:00 PM, 4:30 PM & 5:30 PM

No shows Mondays.

The 70s on Demand

May 27 - 29 | June 1 - July 21 1:00 PM, 2:30 PM, 3:30 PM & 5:00 PM
July 22 - August 6: 2:00 PM, 3:00 PM & 4:30 PM
August 7 - 13: 1:00 PM, 2:30 PM, 3:30 PM & 5:00 PM

No shows Wednesdays.

RetroSpect 

May 27 - 29 | June 1 - July 21: 7:15 PM, 8:00 PM, 8:30 PM, 9:15 PM & 9:45 PM
July 22 - August 6: 6:15 PM, 8:00 PM, 8:30 PM, 9:15 PM & 9:45 PM
August 7 - 13: 7:15 PM, 8:00 PM, 8:30 PM, 9:15 PM & 9:45 PM

No shows Tuesdays.

Off the Rails

June 10 - July 21: 1:30 PM, 3:00 PM, 4:30 PM & 6:00 PM
July 22 - August 6: 2:30 PM, 3:30 PM & 5:00 PM
August 7 - 13: 1:30 PM, 3:00 PM, 4:30 PM & 6:00 PM

No shows Thursdays.

They usually shift to allow performers to move over to parade roles. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Wonder if there will be a “preview night” of Phantom like last year.  Would love to go Fri to park for first night fireworks AND a show. 

I was wondering/hoping for the same thing as I'll be in the park Friday.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Diamondback2112 said:

I haven't seen this talked about much in the forums this season, but did Kings Island abandon the idea of having concerts at Timberwolf? All that has been announced is spirit song.

Would imagine if they were doing concerts this season  they would have already been announced.

Last year at Coasterstock, Mike mentioned that doing concerts again was dependent on how successful they were. From what I was able to see, most of the concerts weren't even half full so Idk if they were successful enough. The problem is the acts that would fill Timberwolf (10,000 seats) go to Riverbend which is right down the road and a much larger and nicer venue. Also most if not all those acts have a contract with Live Nation which means they can't play at a non live nation venue that is in close proximity to one. Honestly I think a good way to make TW more sustainable is to downsize the venue to like half the seats (like 5,000 seats).