2023 Live Entertainment Discussions

IndyGuy4KI

I'm ashamed to admit it but I never did see the Phantom Theater Encore show last year so I will definitely make it a point to see it this year. I keep watching the POV of the ride and I still can't fathom why or how they destroyed such a masterpiece of a dark ride for Scooby Doo or the awful cardboard cutout ghosts known as boo blaster...

• Like 4

12 hours ago, johnjniehaus said:

I'm ashamed to admit it but I never did see the Phantom Theater Encore show last year so I will definitely make it a point to see it this year. I keep watching the POV of the ride and I still can't fathom why or how they destroyed such a masterpiece of a dark ride for Scooby Doo or the awful cardboard cutout ghosts known as boo blaster...

PT was in bad shape when they removed it. Scooby was soldto us as an interactive dark ride where no two rides would ever be the same.

….then we got to ride it. 

IMG_6041.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Something that has bugged me for decades about scooby and interactive shooters is that they aren't 100% ada friendly.

If you're not able to hit the targets for some reason you literally miss out on a majority of the fun effects of the ride. I think this is better with the Disney ones that have the guns hard mounted (plus they break less from not being banged around) but it's still a matter of being able to hit the targets. But a lot of the big effects are even triggered in boo blasters instead of inconsequential things.

If you don't have any hands or even the ability to hold your hand/arm steady, you literally can't experience Boo Blasters in it's intended way. I'd also argue the guns take away from story element, but I also recognize that kids love shooting the targets. I just don't feel they should be anything other than just a mini-side part of the ride and it's effects.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, johnjniehaus said:

Am I the only one on tjhe forums who would much rather see the return of Cirque to the Theater in some form?  PTE was and is a one and done for me, last year was enough.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IBEW_Sparky said:

Am I the only one on tjhe forums who would much rather see the return of Cirque to the Theater in some form?  PTE was and is a one and done for me, last year was enough.

Nope. I saw it 3 maybe 4 times. First to get pics for KIC, 2 to actually pay attention and watch, and third to see it with the kids. Even having ridden PT as a kid, it was not all the WOW for me. Every time I was going to see a show I watched the Off The Rails Show. That was way more entertaining, at least for me anyway.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, IBEW_Sparky said:

I haven't seen it in person only clips from YouTube. Some parts were cringe but I hope that's just because shows translate differently when you're there in person rather than seeing it through the lens of a video. 

I think the phantom theater idea is fantastic as a show, But it kind of missed the mark on many of the acts.

40 minutes ago, IBEW_Sparky said:

I don’t know about cirque (I think that had run its course as well) but yes. It was cool last year as a nostalgia piece for the anniversary (but even that was odd since it was in no way an original attraction to reference) but it’s lost all uniqueness by running it again. People jump me and say “but the development costs for one year!!” Ummm can you say “Haunt show?” Or pull it out the year that the Phantom rises again. It’s not like development costs are lost if you give it a break or don’t have to develop a new haunt show. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, IBEW_Sparky said:

Nope. Not just you. I mean no hate towards the cast and crew of PTE--their execution of the show was great--but I saw it once or twice. That was enough for me. I appreciate some campiness, but the concept and script just don't resonate with me. (I also don't entirely understand the nostalgia for Phantom Theater, but that's for a different topic.)

I personally preferred the cirque shows, too, but I'd also like to see a bit more story sprinkled in if they were to return. Cirque Imagine was amazing and had just enough of a story that the show felt like a journey. Origins and Gravity were both very enjoyable, but they were a little less enrapturing than Cirque Imagine.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Captain Nemo said:

I haven't seen it in person only clips from YouTube. Some parts were cringe but I hope that's just because shows translate differently when you're there in person rather than seeing it through the lens of a video. 

I think the phantom theater idea is fantastic as a show, But it kind of missed the mark on many of the acts.

Nope-it’s still cringe in person. The ending was so odd. It felt like it was just “oh crap-this has gone on for 20 min. Let’s just end it quick and close with a big number. 

1 hour ago, TheRickster said:

Something that has bugged me for decades about scooby and interactive shooters is that they aren't 100% ada friendly.

If you're not able to hit the targets for some reason you literally miss out on a majority of the fun effects of the ride. I think this is better with the Disney ones that have the guns hard mounted (plus they break less from not being banged around) but it's still a matter of being able to hit the targets. But a lot of the big effects are even triggered in boo blasters instead of inconsequential things.

If you don't have any hands or even the ability to hold your hand/arm steady, you literally can't experience Boo Blasters in it's intended way. I'd also argue the guns take away from story element, but I also recognize that kids love shooting the targets. I just don't feel they should be anything other than just a mini-side part of the ride and it's effects.

Aside from the access, I think that the targets, as they stand now, are too difficult to hit for a normal person. You have to be persistent. This isn’t true for other rides of this type. In fact, the one at KD as far more enjoyable because they emit a laser spot. 

b0f22b7b45e453245031f18f2154063c.jpg
If anyone is interested Phantom Theatre is doing a dress rehearsal 4:30 and 6pm today. 70s on demand at 4 & 5:30pm . Also Retrospect have a show 8:55-9:55 before the fireworks , Adventure Awaits !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

On 5/25/2023 at 1:42 PM, IndyGuy4KI said:

Nope. I saw it 3 maybe 4 times. First to get pics for KIC, 2 to actually pay attention and watch, and third to see it with the kids. Even having ridden PT as a kid, it was not all the WOW for me. Every time I was going to see a show I watched the Off The Rails Show. That was way more entertaining, at least for me anyway.

On 5/25/2023 at 2:19 PM, TombRaiderFTW said:

Nope. Not just you. I mean no hate towards the cast and crew of PTE--their execution of the show was great--but I saw it once or twice. That was enough for me. I appreciate some campiness, but the concept and script just don't resonate with me. (I also don't entirely understand the nostalgia for Phantom Theater, but that's for a different topic.)

I personally preferred the cirque shows, too, but I'd also like to see a bit more story sprinkled in if they were to return. Cirque Imagine was amazing and had just enough of a story that the show felt like a journey. Origins and Gravity were both very enjoyable, but they were a little less enrapturing than Cirque Imagine.

On 5/25/2023 at 2:19 PM, brenthodge said:

Nope-it’s still cringe in person. The ending was so odd. It felt like it was just “oh crap-this has gone on for 20 min. Let’s just end it quick and close with a big number. 

This is sacrilege!  You are all cringe! :)

now you WILL pay!!!!!

• Like 2

This phantom theater show overstayed its life part way through last year. I really hope it doesn’t get a third year and my entire family was disappointed when we learned it was back this year. If you didn’t grow up on the original ride, it has no nostalgic value. And as a whole it isn’t nearly as entertaining as the last handful of cirque shows (which we used to watch multiple times a year).

I’m hopeful that maybe this year the magician will actually do a magic show… or the stunt guy will do some legitimately entertaining stunts… or they can just write out the opera singer… but for my family, the show was a major flop.

We had 100 visits last year…. And we saw the show once… and even on the hot days, my family would rather leave than sit in the A/C and watch this show.

5 minutes ago, chuck norris said:

This phantom theater show overstayed its life part way through last year. I really hope it doesn’t get a third year and my entire family was disappointed when we learned it was back this year. If you didn’t grow up on the original ride, it has no nostalgic value. And as a whole it isn’t nearly as entertaining as the last handful of cirque shows (which we used to watch multiple times a year).

I’m hopeful that maybe this year the magician will actually do a magic show… or the stunt guy will do some legitimately entertaining stunts… or they can just write out the opera singer… but for my family, the show was a major flop.

We had 100 visits last year…. And we saw the show once… and even on the hot days, my family would rather leave than sit in the A/C and watch this show.

Sorry you dont like it,  I loved it.  Each to their own.  I heard they have a 3 year contract for this show as well as the 70's on demand.

• Like 3

The show casts really brought a lot of energy to their preview performances today with a lot of familiar faces along with some promising new talent. Phantom Theater Encore has some nice little changes as well that enhance the character beats.

• Like 4

On 5/25/2023 at 1:42 PM, IndyGuy4KI said:

Off The Rails Show is exactly what a "cirque" type show should be and it was done in a theatre that could allow the performers to show off their skills.  In my opinion having a "cirque" type show Kings Island Theatre felt like it had to be "downsized" because of the cramped performance space.  Where it is now the tricks are bigger and you have several things going on at once for the finale.  It add to the intensity and excitement of the show.

PTE is exactly the type of show that belongs in the Kings Island Theatre in my opinion.  It is a nice return to the broadway-style show of the 80's like Celebration, Gotta Dance and Fasinating Rhythm and fully uses the theatre lighting, fly space, etc.  The only thing they don't do that they did back in the day was have someone appear from beneth the stage on a rise panel.  

• Like 2

Saw PTE and it has returned with a vengence.  I apprecitate the changes for not only those that saw it last year, but for those of us lucky enough to ride the original ride.  

The cast and crew has done a fantastic job and the performances were spot-on even the new cast members.  Not sure if I'm just reading more into it than there is but I think I caught a hint that the ride will be returning in some form "very soon".  

In the past shows would run 2 years.  Earlier in this thread it was mentioned a 3 year run.  The only way I see that working is if next year the show cooresponds with the return in some form of the Phantom Theatre ride.  For people to ride the ride and be able to compare it directly with the show would be fantastic.  We will know soon enough but part of me believes that the Phantom and cast are already being worked on in a shop in California ever since Rick make his trip here last year.  He could have seen the show on you tube.  But to make a presentation and sign contracts, that would be best done in person.  But that's just my thoughts, I could be wrong.

Nice job again to the KI Entertainment department.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, robintodd said:

Saw PTE and it has returned with a vengence.  I apprecitate the changes for not only those that saw it last year, but for those of us lucky enough to ride the original ride.  

The cast and crew has done a fantastic job and the performances were spot-on even the new cast members.  Not sure if I'm just reading more into it than there is but I think I caught a hint that the ride will be returning in some form "very soon".  

In the past shows would run 2 years.  Earlier in this thread it was mentioned a 3 year run.  The only way I see that working is if next year the show cooresponds with the return in some form of the Phantom Theatre ride.  For people to ride the ride and be able to compare it directly with the show would be fantastic.  We will know soon enough but part of me believes that the Phantom and cast are already being worked on in a shop in California ever since Rick make his trip here last year.  He could have seen the show on you tube.  But to make a presentation and sign contracts, that would be best done in person.  But that's just my thoughts, I could be wrong.

Nice job again to the KI Entertainment department.

Yeah, this all sounds perfect. Can’t wait to catch the show again this year!

On 5/26/2023 at 7:12 PM, chuck norris said:

I never rode the ride either.  The first time I saw the show, I left thinking bad thoughts. But then I did some reading about the ride and started to put pieces together and rewatched...and rewatched...and rewatched...the nostalgia factor was in full force last year and I was hooked. I'm really glad it's back this year and look forward to seeing it again. 

• Like 3

On 5/25/2023 at 1:34 PM, IBEW_Sparky said:

Cirque Imagine.  Definitely.   Great stunts timed out to the moving music.   The rest of the cirque shows were on the level of PT.  

On 5/24/2023 at 10:14 PM, johnjniehaus said:

Scooby Doo is actually to blame for the advent of the cardboard cut outs XD.

they at least did a mix of cardboard and real props... but there was as many cutouts as we see now basically 

I think sometimes in our "quest for the best" we (I) can loose sight of just how GREAT KI is to its guests - especially compared to Carrowinds 50th. Last year we had an AMZING nightly fireworks show that downsized into a still great show NIGHTLY this year. Which is pretty much the schedule we have had for years. Carrowinds is hyping their 50th show will "be nightly" which is a change to their regular holidays only schedule. Our 50th street party ran DAILY - they are saying "select days" for this second go around reused version. Last year we got PT Encore... and The 70s show... AND Off the Rails... AND AND ClubKI with the Golden Coasters - they got... Retrospect (which other parks got as well) and an outsourced magic show. Cool history behind the magic show, but still shows their minimal commitment to LIVE shows at Carrowinds - especially for their milestone this year. AND Retrospect already started here - it doesn't even begin its run until June 10th there - when Off the Rails with its large cast returns. Yes, they got Aeronautica Landing (which is arguably better in its ride count) but we got Adventure Port, which is turning out to be a pretty solid add to a totally underused area, that hopefully sets the bar for what comes next. I for one am challenging myself to still hold the park accountable to great standards, but also be thankful for the great commitment leadership already has to the KI community.

• Like 1