NEW CHAPERONE POLICY KI 2023

RedSummit20

On 4/20/2023 at 1:12 PM, zac2211 said:

Read the policy, it looks to me like I am considered "accompanied" as long as my parents are in the park and I can reach them by phone, and it seems that's how most people interpreted it as well.. Am I reading this wrong?

The point is that if minors are walking around alone, security can stop them and question them.    I guess they would have to contact the chaperone by phone and that chaperoned would have to come to the location to prove that they are   

it just seems that it’s a way to potentially harass customers after they’re in the gate.  If it was a policy at the gate all day then everyone in the park would be guaranteed to have followed the policy.

It’s just a very sloppy policy that just isn’t enforceable 

I see this policy is doing absolutely nothing. The same people can still get in the park before 4 PM and remain in the park until they might be questioned.

In the meantime, a 17 year old (the age of the offender last week). can enter freely.     And anyone can enter the parking lot freely.  That’s where the issues occurred in this latest incident. 

Just now, super7 said:

The point is that if minors are walking around alone, security can stop them and question them.    I guess they would have to contact the chaperone by phone and that chaperoned would have to come to the location to prove that they are

It’s just a very sloppy policy that would be enforceable if they did it at the gate all day long. But it’s not enforceable since it starts at 4.     

I see this policy is doing absolutely nothing. The same people can still get in the park before 4 PM and remain in the park until they might be questioned. In the meantime, a 17 year old can still sneak a gun in through the parking lot.

The chaperone policy at least gives Kings Island a way to kick people out that seem up to no good without them actually having to start a fight or something. There’s also no policy that can prevent people from trying to sneak into the park with a gun. Hopefully, Kings Island increases security around the perimeter of the park.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, disco2000 said:

It is interesting in that most of the complaints that have made the news, as well as many complaints on social media, have that same theme of parents mad they now cannot drop their kids off at KI.  And many of them readily admit the adults in the family do not have passes and now they want refunds.

When Kentucky Kingdom implemented their chaperone policy 2021, they basically said they are not a daycare and if that was your intent, you had like two weeks to request a refund, which they provided. 

So how can KI assure families don't do this in the future - watch them implement a new requirement that any passholder under the age of 16 must have an adult at the same address issued a pass as well.  Obviously that doesn't fix anything other than putting a family on notice that KI is not a daycare and having your under age 16 children passes without an adult having a pass will not be allowed.

Anybody remember when KI had the family pass?  Might be the only way for a minor to get a pass moving forward if this policy doesn't accomplish what CF hopes it accomplishes.

Sadly I have kids that were not even 13 dropped off at the park for the day while the parents work or socialize or whatever they did...load the pass up with meal and drink plan and cheaper than a sitter...one set of siblings I would see at the park quite often and they were well behaved and went through food lines and got their food and the two would eat together, but never saw a parent...they looked maybe 10 and 8 and that was being generous. Maybe they were small for their age LOL.

Silver Dollar City’s policy is similar to KI right? When KI announced theirs that is what I thought of.

4 hours ago, Taylor.B03 said:

What I'd to to teach them a lesson, come with them to the gate, then as they try to get in with you just say "I'm not with them". Very dirty but it would be quite embarrassing for them. 

Reminds me of the time I was in the McDonald's drive-through and the line was so long that by the time I got to place the order, the menu had changed from breakfast to lunch, so I was trying to figure out what to get now.  The young lady behind me leaned on her horn and started mouthing something because I was taking too long to place my order.

So when I got to the first window I paid for her order along with my own.

The cashier must have told her what I'd done because as we moved up she leaned out her window and waved to me and mouthed "Thank you.", obviously embarrassed that I had repaid her rudeness with kindness.

When I got to the second window I showed them both receipts and took her food too. Now she has to go back to the end of the queue and start all over again.  

:P

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

It's a wonderful communication idea!

I keep seeing KIC photos being taken, cropped to remove the watermarks and used without credit. I encourage people to share our photos. That is what they're for, but leave the watermark to give us credit.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

They aren’t messing around. Tons of security tonight and I’ve personally seen 3 groups of 2-3 kids each “held” be security (like sitting at a table while they “guard” them waiting on parents to show up (from ‘inside the park’ lol) and I’m overhearing chatter on security radios as I walk around describing what groups are wearing so they are coming out of the gate strong with a clear message. It feels less crazy tonight, but it might also be that it feels like Winterfest with no Christmas decorations LOL! It’s. COLD! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Gordon Bombay said:

Was walking through the parking lot tonight and saw a few kids in leather jackets sitting around a hot rod listening to that new fangled “rock and roll” music. Hoping KI gets their house in order soon! 

You must have been on the north end of the parking lot.

The south end had the Pink Ladies dolling up and singing some song about a girl named Sandra Dee

:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, brenthodge said:

They aren’t messing around. Tons of security tonight and I’ve personally seen 3 groups of 2-3 kids each “held” be security (like sitting at a table while they “guard” them waiting on parents to show up (from ‘inside the park’ lol) and I’m overhearing chatter on security radios as I walk around describing what groups are wearing so they are coming out of the gate strong with a clear message. It feels less crazy tonight, but it might also be that it feels like Winterfest with no Christmas decorations LOL! It’s. COLD! 

I want to second this as I did see a lot of security guards around the park last night. And yes, the weather did indeed transition from Haunt weather to Winterfest weather within the course of a few hours. As I said in another thread, by 8 the park pretty much cleared out.

I think this is about as bad as the threats made to kids running a fan site years ago. They were threatening to take legal action against some good people for not censoring the site to their liking. That did it for me and I haven't been back to KI. They can tell me what to do at KI but, it's not going to happen outside the park. 

I guess trying to cover up accidents are for your safety.

8 minutes ago, Captain Picard said:

I think this is about as bad as the threats made to kids running a fan site years ago. They were threatening to take legal action against some good people for not censoring the site to their liking.

What site was this?

3 hours ago, disco2000 said:

And make it all day LOL.  There is no way all the teens I saw being dropped off prior to 4pm either left by 4pm or their parents came into the park by 4pm...

If you were at the park this past Saturday, it was also Music In The Park Day where there were a lot of school music groups performing competitions, so many of the teen groups were from them.

34 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

If you were at the park this past Saturday, it was also Music In The Park Day where there were a lot of school music groups performing competitions, so many of the teen groups were from them.

Those kids are easy to spot as they are wearing same shirts for the school they represent.  I am not talking about those kids (even though I did see some of them acting up).

I am talking about the kids being dropped off at the drop off lot.  It was happening Sunday as well and Music in Parks was not going on.

Plus the Music in the Park kids are not rolling out of sedans in the drop off lot LOL as they are coming in by bus...

I wonder what happens if… A parent (chaperoning his children, while the children explore the park without direct supervision) rides The Beast and is stuck on the final-brake-run for a while as maintenance addresses issues. If security detains the parent’s preteenager children, security would not be able to contact the parent (mobile device use on rides is not permitted) until the train returns to the station and the parent can exit the ride. Maintenance issues on The Beast can take a while to resolve. KI policy says the chaperone must ‘be available by phone throughout their stay’ and ‘Guests ages 15 years old or younger who are found inside the park unaccompanied by a chaperone will be subject to ejection’. Seems to me that parents and children should share their location by mobile device. If detained children cannot immediately contact a parent by telephone, then at least they can demonstrate to security that a parent is in the park. Or the parent avoids rides and just walks about the park, while preserving the battery of their mobile device.