What is going on with The Bat?

ldhudsonjr

Has anyone heard any specific rumors on this? I've heard that they found a lot of cracks in the track and that it hasn't tested since march? Hopefully this doesn't get deleted because of the park not having given any information lol, that's why I'm posting it in rumors.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ldhudsonjr said:

Has anyone heard any specific rumors on this? I've heard that they found a lot of cracks in the track and that it hasn't tested since march? Hopefully this doesn't get deleted because of the park not having given any information lol, that's why I'm posting it in rumors.

I have heard the same rumor. I also recall driving by the park a month or two ago and seeing a train on The Bat’s lift hill, and with that testing schedule, Kings Island seemed to have thought the ride would open with the park. Whatever the issues are, they seem to be unexpected. A lot of people are also claiming that The Bat, Drop Tower, and Delirium are being closed intentionally for staffing issues, but those rumors are doubtful as there are already crews assigned to these rides. There also does not appear to be any significant staffing issues, and if there were, I doubt these three rides (all decently popular) would be the ones to close.

• Like 1

Yeah, I can confirm from multiple sources Drop Tower isn't down due to staffing. For Delirium, I have no clue, but it seems to get caught up in getting specific parts every few years or so. Max-Air is the same way. I've heard from someone in maintenance last decade at both CP & KI at different times that this ride is "fun":P to work on to say the least. The Bat is more of a mystery, they definitely had some equipment back at the ride working on sections of track, but that's about all I know. I will say, they recently replaced the station roof in I wanna between 2021 and 2022 (confirmed it happened, don't know when). They also did some upgrades to the motor and chain system, I believe (can't confirm this). Also, they were very quick to work on the ride after the wheel incident. So clearly the park still has put some work recently into this coaster, and I don't think they have any intentions I know of to let it go soon. However, if they use this opportunity for an extended refurb, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to a favorite of mine getting a little TLC.

All I can confirm is the parts being the issue on Drop Tower and probably Delirium being parts, and that bat received a new roof and maybe lift hill work recently

• Like 2

I am hopeful that she will fly again. Hard to tell what's true and what isn't since the park has not released any sort of official statement, but I truly am hopeful she will be back up and running soon. I've heard rumors of track work being done and waiting for the fabricated pieces to arrive, but who knows. It's all just speculation at this point. 

As for Drop Tower and Delirium, I would like to think that whatever is going on with them is something that will be resolved soon. I would like to think that if they were not planning on reopening them soon they would have just left the seat covers on both rides, but who knows. 

Action Zone is significantly less "active" with three rides down.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I have heard the same rumor. I also recall driving by the park a month or two ago and seeing a train on The Bat’s lift hill, and with that testing schedule, Kings Island seemed to have thought the ride would open with the park. Whatever the issues are, they seem to be unexpected. A lot of people are also claiming that The Bat, Drop Tower, and Delirium are being closed intentionally for staffing issues, but those rumors are doubtful as there are already crews assigned to these rides. There also does not appear to be any significant staffing issues, and if there were, I doubt these three rides (all decently popular) would be the ones to close.

This is reminding me of Volcano’s final year….

At the end of last year it was running well and the issues from last summer seemed to be fixed so whatever the issue is it seems to be recent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DJSkyFoxx said:

I am hopeful that she will fly again. Hard to tell what's true and what isn't since the park has not released any sort of official statement, but I truly am hopeful she will be back up and running soon. I've heard rumors of track work being done and waiting for the fabricated pieces to arrive, but who knows. It's all just speculation at this point. 

As for Drop Tower and Delirium, I would like to think that whatever is going on with them is something that will be resolved soon. I would like to think that if they were not planning on reopening them soon they would have just left the seat covers on both rides, but who knows. 

Action Zone is significantly less "active" with three rides down.

I almost wonder if it is an electrical infrastructure issue. If it was The Bat on its own, then I'd lean more into the idea that it is swirling the drain. The fact that Drop Tower and Delirium are down too seems like it could be related.

Over the years, when the park has had blackouts, it's often that side of the park that is affected.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

I almost wonder if it is an electrical infrastructure issue. If it was The Bat on its own, then I'd lean more into the idea that it is swirling the drain. The fact that Drop Tower and Delirium are down too seems like it could be related.

Over the years, when the park has had blackouts, it's often that side of the park that is affected.

And yet two of the three ran until the last day of last season (exlcuding WF season LOL), with Drop Tower not running due to a lightning strike and waiting for the part...

13 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

And yet two of the three ran until the last day of last season (exlcuding WF season LOL), with Drop Tower not running due to a lightning strike and waiting for the part...

The park was closed for a few months after Winterfest. There are new rides being added to that side of the park, which involves electrical work. I'm not sure I understand how your point is a rebuttal to mine.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

The park was closed for a few months after Winterfest. There are new rides being added to that side of the park, which involves electrical work. I'm not sure I understand how your point is a rebuttal to mine.

Considering the new rides haven't even been delivered yet, there would be zero new load to the electrical grid...and I suspect they probably haven't even made the electrical connection yet because of that.

Several years ago they brought a new electrical feed into that side of the park to fix the issues of electric in the past by allowing mutliple feeds so that minimal would go down if something electrical blew - that is how the dorms are serviced.

Banshee is literally a stone toss from the new rides and it is running

Wires are hanging from Delirium...that usually indicates a part being replaced.

Bat had issues with track last year...that usually results in a little more thorough inspection during off-season. 

Drop Tower got hit by lightning last August and was waiting for a part.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Considering the new rides haven't even been delivered yet, there would be zero new load to the electrical grid...

Banshee is literally a stone toss from the new rides and it is running

Wires are hanging from Delirium

Bat had issues with track last year

Drop Tower got hit by lightning last August and was waiting for a part

The rides not being delivered does not mean they haven't run the wiring. Which is an opportunity for things to go wrong, for things they didn't anticipate needing fixed/replaced to need fixed/replaced, etc.

At one point in the park's history, Flight of Fear and Drop Tower were on the same circuit. FoF could not be launched if DT was running. That Drop Tower, Delirium, and The Bat would be on a separate circuit from Banshee and Invertigo is not a completely irrational suggestion.

Why would Bat's incident last year affect it today? Why would Drop Tower bring down for lightning last year affect today? Among many possibilities, the latter and Delirium's wires could, dare I say it, be answered by the idea that the electrical infrastructure needs some work.

For the record, at no point have I said that electrical issues ARE what's happening. I am spitballing. I don't know any facts.

• Like 1

Those poor arrow coasters. Maybe since it’s the 30th anniversary of Top Gun, Flight Deck, The Bat that they are doing something extraordinary for one of the few remaining suspended coasters left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

IMO, get rid of The Bat and let trees grow back there. Get rid of Congo Falls and Invertigo and replace is with a modern coaster:

299A6470-5262-44F6-9810-6B149C42E611.jpeg

Trees can take over just like all of the trees that have grown in behind Banshee where Son of Beast used to be. Just look at the picture. The reality is, if a ride goes and does not get replaced, its former plot is just going to be an empty field.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

The rides not being delivered does not mean they haven't run the wiring. Which is an opportunity for things to go wrong, for things they didn't anticipate needing fixed/replaced to need fixed/replaced, etc.

At one point in the park's history, Flight of Fear and Drop Tower were on the same circuit. FoF could not be launched if DT was running. That Drop Tower, Delirium, and The Bat would be on a separate circuit from Banshee and Invertigo is not a completely irrational suggestion.

Why would Bat's incident last year affect it today? Why would Drop Tower bring down for lightning last year affect today? Among many possibilities, the latter and Delirium's wires could, dare I say it, be answered by the idea that the electrical infrastructure needs some work.

For the record, at no point have I said that electrical issues ARE what's happening. I am spitballing. I don't know any facts.

I would expect the pad mount utility transformers to be run on a loop. This means that each transformer connects to the next, forming a circle (or any number of shapes) with each primary (the high voltage side, Duke is usually 12.47 or 13.8kV, though the park has its own substation so it could vary). This arrangement would allow any single transformer to be taken offline for maintenance since it can be fed from either side. At least one utility transformer would need to be added or replaced to add the two flat rides- if you notice, there is a transformer right behind the games storage building next to Adventure Express that you can see from The Racer Exit. That transformer was replaced this year, likely to a larger size to accommodate the new rides. 
From my perspective, I can’t imagine the new flats and The Bat are related. It has its own transformer down at the base of the station. 

More Information on Radial vs. Loop Feed transformers, if you’re a nerd (like me): https://www.maddoxtransformer.com/resources/articles/guide-to-radial-and-loop-feed-transformers/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Whenever it comes time for The Bat to be removed it will likely be the end to the entire pathway.  Reusing the design from Canadas Wonderland basically forced the station to be located in a very awkward location.  A clean sheet coaster design would never have been designed like that and would put any station and queue closer to the rest of the land.  It would take major changes like for instance Timberwolf getting removed to see another station in this area.

Most of what I have heard I would classify as speculation and not even a rumor.  I doubt it has to do with any part availability, while Arrow is long out of business, S&S took it over and have been very good at providing service.

To me the most logical problem is there is something wrong with the track, which is still a huge list of possibilities.  Track problems have caused the removal of Arrow Suspended coasters in the past.  Except The Bat was the last Arrow Suspended to be built.  It seems strange for it to develop problems before some of the older rides especially since Vortex at Canadas Wonderland has the same layout and opened 2 years before The Bat.

• Like 4

If The Bat is really going away, Action Zone needs a multiyear Frontier Canada style transformation.  They should put some family flats and a Mack multilaunch and really think of a long-term plan for that area as Action Zone is the one land that still feels like some of the worst Paramount planning aside from BLSC.

• Like 2

I think if we see Bat go it'll get The Vortex treatment and not see anything there for a while. Like @Rivertown Rider said I think AZ could get a slow phased revamp. Maybe first a flat package like Aeronautica Landing and then down the line and coaster. For the next coaster I see them filling The Vortex site to sorta finish off that back left corner of the park that included the additions of Coney BBQ, Antique Autos, and Orion/Area 72. Then focus could move to Action Zone. I think Adventure Port honestly is the start of a long term plan to revamp the front left that hasn't received any love since Banshee. Obviously other areas like Snoopy and SC would recieve some minor additions like smaller rides/revamps/restaurants, but I feel like long term priority once Vortex's spot gets filled will be the front left side of the park currently known as Action Zone.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kenban said:

Whenever it comes time for The Bat to be removed it will likely be the end to the entire pathway.  Reusing the design from Canadas Wonderland basically forced the station to be located in a very awkward location.  A clean sheet coaster design would never have been designed like that and would put any station and queue closer to the rest of the land.  It would take major changes like for instance Timberwolf getting removed to see another station in this area.

When Top Gun was built, the monorail was still in service. It's not just a matter of being the same layout as CW, they had to work around the monorail track and station.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm gonna be honest, the ride felt and looked in its worst shape during the flight deck era. Especially when it was in dire need of a paint job. I'm forgetting which year this photo was taken, but I think the picture speaks for itself. Most of it was wear from the train wheels, but still, looking back, the orange track made a world of a difference.

image.jpeg

• Like 7

I would really really like to think that whatever they are doing to it, they are doing whatever needs to be done to save it. Maybe I am a softy for these kinds of coasters, but I would really hate to see the world lose another Arrow Suspended. It's not only a great intermediate coaster for younger thrill seekers, but its a great ride overall for anyone. Its just a good all around fun ride. Albeit short, which I know anyone who has ridden it would agree that it still has so much energy left when slamming into the breaks. Its still a great coaster and would be a really sad loss. As much as I love newer coasters, the older ones just have so much character to them that the newer ones don't have. 

And I 100% agree that the Flight Deck era was truly the worst for it. Name, appearance and ride quality were all not the greatest. I was so glad when they decided to spruce it up with a better paint job and a throwback name to the original Bat. 

• Like 10

I just hope they all stay open until a definitive plan is in place for their replacements.  Otherwise, as others have said, it will just be an empty lot (or bldg.-Crypt) for several seasons.

Who wants to walk around and see empty lots and buildings?  I wish we can fill in the somewhat empty spaces behind ET.  Doesn’t have to be rides but just trees and vegetation.

• Like 2

I'm really hoping whatever the reason behind the delayed opening is resolved and they are able to get The Bat operational sooner rather than later. I am also of the opinion that rides shouldn't be removed unless they are prepared to replace them with something and as of right now it seems that The Vortex plot is in need of something. I know they decided to take Vortex down coinciding with the addition of Orion but I do believe they intended to replace it before now. COVID probably changed whatever tentative plans they had. Regardless, I really love suspended arrow coasters and I really hope there's nothing majorly wrong with ours seeing as it is the "newest" one. If for some reason they decide it's going the way of Dinosaurs Alive and all the other defunct attractions hopefully they sell off some track slices because that's one coaster I'd actually invest in having a souvenir from. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately not all removals are "planned" and off-season inspections, testing, or even routine inspections during the season,etc. finds an issue that accelerates when a ride is removed - sometimes years sooner than when a park thought the ride would be operational.  That leaves a void in planning as said ride was expected to still be operational during said planning period, so the site sits vacant for longer than anyone would like...

• Like 5