T3, Kentucky Kingdom’s polarizing SLC, to be retired

45 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

This has gone out in emails to pass holders but no “official” word from the park.

I was in the camp where I actually liked it with the new trains. 

Rest in spaghetti never forgetti. 

Just as a general announcement or do we have a date for when it closes? Gonna have to make a trip down this summer to Kentucky just for one more ride.

2 minutes ago, TheBeast54 said:

Just as a general announcement or do we have a date for when it closes? Gonna have to make a trip down this summer to Kentucky just for one more ride... and also for Storm Chaser/Lightning Run :lol:

I havent seen anything official - but what from what I have heard locally - It will be SBNO this season.  So it sounds as though its already been retired - I wouldnt count on "last rides."

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

I've also heard - via local word of mouth - Deluge is on the chopping block.

Take note of their locations.

T3 & Deluge.JPG

I thought Deluge was already closed?  I was under the impression it was standing but not operating.

5 minutes ago, TheBeast54 said:

Just as a general announcement or do we have a date for when it closes? Gonna have to make a trip down this summer to Kentucky just for one more ride... and also for Storm Chaser/Lightning Run :lol:

T3 was removed from the website and park map already.  Pretty sure it’s not operating at all this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kenban said:

I thought Deluge was already closed?  I was under the impression it was standing but not operating.

It was closed all last season - but still there.  By chopping block, I meant slated for removal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shaggy said:

I havent seen anything official - but what from what I have heard locally - It will be SBNO this season.  So it sounds as though its already been retired - I wouldnt count on "last rides."

No worries then, however it is sad to see it go; in my opinion it was one of the better SLC's.

Just now, Kenban said:

T3 was removed from the website and park map already.  Pretty sure it’s not operating at all this year.

I didn't know that it had been already removed from the website, much less the map. Must already be making the way for demolition.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Aaron88stang said:

The old theater behind T3 is no longer on the map either. That makes for a decent plot of land for a new coaster, or maybe more realisitcally a new park entrance...

Plus that water coaster hasn’t opened in years. 

With all that land, I’d almost argue they can add a whole section rather than just a new ride. Your move, Herschend. 

• Like 4

I never got to ride T2/3 or have yet to make my way to Kentucky Kingdom, but I honestly feel this isn't much of a loss. The one and only Vekoma SLC I have ridden was Canada's Wonderland's Top Gun/Flight Deck and it beat the heck out of me. I had gotten my ear cartilage pierced a few months prior to my visit and by the time the ride was over both ears were bleeding and I was in a lot of pain. I still have the on-ride video of the torment too. Mainly bought it so my little cousin would have the memory. 

And I know I am probably one of the few Vekoma fans, but the old SLCs are not it. 

You know, I just realized the T3 replacement actually could be a coaster.  T3 is in that special line of zoning where Kentucky Kingdom can actually build at a decent height.   They already have a freakishly tall slide.  

Eurofighter or Premier launch coaster maybe?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Taylor.B03 said:

I would like to see a ride type that Kings Island doesn't have! Something with loops would be nice!

It's quite possible. Kentucky Kingdom already has Lightning Run and Storm Chaser, both of which offer unique coaster experiences that Kings Island doesn't have an answer for. Unlike Kings Island, it's very apparent Kentucky Kingdom doesn't have a budget for something like a B&M or Mack. Also, it's a much smaller park so I imagine capacity wouldn't be as important either like it would be for Kings Island. It's important to note that Herschend just acquired Kentucky Kingdom only a few years ago and it's still unclear how much they want to invest in the park. If a coaster ends up in T3's spot (which even then there's still a strong possibility it might not be), I can easily see it being something like an RMC Raptor, Gerstlauer or new-age Vekoma. It's also very possible that it could be a waterpark expansion, a flat ride or nothing at all. Time will tell.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WoodVengeance said:

If a coaster ends up in T3's spot (which even then there's still a strong possibility it might not be), I can easily see it being something like an RMC Raptor, Gerstlauer or new-age Vekoma.

Any of these options could be cool, but if it was up to me, I would pick the "new age Vekoma" as I don't know how many of those exist in the US. And I agree, I do want to see something that KI doesn't have. Perhaps they could go the Canada's Wonderland route and start adding some unique flats? However, I would still like to see a coaster.

• Like 3

I still think this will lead to a new entrance in that area off of the park connected to those back parking lots that are already there. There will probably be ride additions too to fill out the area and maybe even a small coaster. They could really use an entrance away from the rest of the fairgrounds so the events like the fair and street rod nationals are not so disruptive to their business and guest experience. 

• Like 1

The problem with a second gate is that then you have to staff that additional entrance.  Look at Carowinds.  They have a second entrance to the park located near Afterburn.  Not sure if they still open that entrance much anymore.  I know when I first visited Carowinds back in 2001, that was the entrance that we used.

• Like 3