Pipeline Paradise Permanently Closed

KIghostguy

I have mixed feelings on this attraction. On one hand, it's a cool unique experience not a whole lot of other water parks this size offer, but that's also its downfall. It doesn't really seem to do well for a park as busy as Soak City. It has abysmal capacity, and I think a lot of people don't even consider trying it. I love it personally, but also I can see it being a huge liability issue.

• Like 2

I’m kind of ok with this. It was cool and unique, but I wasn’t the best at it. That being said, it was really cool to watch actual surfers show off on that thing. 

Also, Wipeout Beach (still not familiar with the new names; I actually got worried as I thought this thread was about a waterslide)’s removal could make some room for expansion on that side of the wavepool. Only time will tell…

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CoasterJack said:

I love it personally, but also I can see it being a huge liability issue.

I’ve seen quite a few people take a spill on that attraction and always wondered why they kept it running. If you’re a pro at that kind of stuff that’s one thing, but seeing people while out on it always got me nervous.

• Like 2

The removal of Pipeline Paradise actually opens a lot of room for expansion. If the employee roadway can be adjusted like it was when Tidal Wave Bat was built, Kings Island could expand Soak City a lot. Maybe Cedar Fair can give it a more local name like Miami River Shores or something.

6 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

The ride is apparently still on the website...

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/rides-experiences?location=soakcity

And also on another note, why doesn't the park map (er, I guess the map online now?) show Soak City anymore?

E11773B8-5681-4FB9-9262-198C15C7DB03.jpeg

They do. I knew about it earlier due to the dining plan pamphlets they pass out at Guest Services.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got the news while working today and let me say I'm not shocked. I've always thought it was on the chopping block for years now and I believe it's very rarely open. Now for replacement, I've had this feeling that 2024 is a Soak City year fir awhile now. Honestly if they don't want to reroute the employee access road, they could put in something like Canada's Wonderland did in 2021 with Mountain Bay Cliffs where it's like a cliff jumping experience with multiple levels. 

Also an upside to this addition, it doesn't have to be the only addition. They could put in a new family or thrilling flat ride in the dry park. We'll have to wait and see though.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I got the news while working today and let me say I'm not shocked. I've always thought it was on the chopping block for years now and I believe it's very rarely open. Now for replacement, I've had this feeling that 2024 is a Soak City year fir awhile now. Honestly if they don't want to reroute the employee access road, they could put in something like Canada's Wonderland did in 2021 with Mountain Bay Cliffs where it's like a cliff jumping experience with multiple levels. 

Also an upside to this addition, it doesn't have to be the only addition. They could put in a new family or thrilling flat ride in the dry park. We'll have to wait and see though.

I could see a new water park addition along with a new Planet Snoopy addition. It is of note that the theater in the back of Planet Snoopy is not hosting any shows this year. Maybe Kings Island could demolish the theater and build a brand new food hall or add new rides. Kings Island was conducting guests surveys about Planet Snoopy in 2021 after all, and they even asked people about a new dining hall.

• Like 4

And The Cincinnati Enquirer wonders why subscriptions are down....how about having the correct ride with the article....and I guess Apple made the ride since the title says iPipeline Paradise LOL

image.png

Not to be outdone though, most of the other local stations are not using the actual attraction either....

Or is click-bait truly the prevalent marketing strategy for media companies...

image.png

image.png

image.png

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

And The Cincinnati Enquirer wonders why subscriptions are down....how about having the correct ride with the article....and I guess Apple made the ride since the title says iPipeline Paradise LOL

image.png

Here at Apple, we ask ourselves everyday about how we can make the world a better place. That's why we're excited to announce our newest innovation. We call it iPipeline!

• Haha 5

On 4/28/2023 at 10:30 PM, disco2000 said:

image.png

Not to be outdone though, most of the other local stations are not using the actual attraction either....

Or is click-bait truly the prevalent marketing strategy for media companies...

image.png

image.png

image.png

I remember a while back, when the camp cedar split happened, a local news station posted an article about it with the headline “Kings Island parts ways on $27M attraction”, and the thumbnail was a picture of the Eiffel Tower.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Snowball said:

I remember a while back, when the camp cedar split happened, a local news station posted an article about it with the headline “Kings Island parts ways on $27M attraction”, and the thumbnail was a picture of the Eiffel Tower.

yes it happens in the media. But as history repeats itself, remember tge Iconic Eifel tower was originally bought i do believe for Coney Island the Mom of Kings Island the gem on the river.

To Keep on. keeping on and long live the tower. 

On 4/28/2023 at 3:46 PM, silver2005 said:

Isn't there a whole surfing club in Ohio dedicated to riding and being good at this?

The short and sweet is yes. Having worked as a lifeguard on Pipeline, being friends with regulars who frequented Pipeline often, I am deeply saddened to see it go. It's a classic that kept a decent line of people coming in and a dedicated crowd of surfer "bums" coming in. For everyone saying this is making room for expansion, I wouldn't hold my breath. If I've learned anything about KI as of late is that just because something is taken out, doesn't mean something is soon to come to the spot. We still have massive glaring holes in the waterpark that have yet to be addressed, this is now another one to add to the list. 

The positives is that the strain of lifeguard staffing is going to be drawn down because 4 positions will be opened up, but it will still be missed.

• Like 1