Fence Ring around flag pole

mikejenkins1

I don`t think that temporary fence would have prevented the stupid event from a few weeks ago.  It looks tacky and hopefully it is just for something landscaping related.

It also bugs me that the planter wall on the right side of the gates, they still have the temporary barricades and they are located in front of the seat wall.  I understand the desire to have a fence there to funnel people to the metal detectors, but it looks tacky to be the temporary barriers.  Why not install a black aluminum fence to match what is by the metal detectors?  And why not place the fence immediately behind the metal detectors, so that it offers those a place to rest and wait for others in their party to arrive from their car?

• Like 1

Read this article and look at what area the fence is now blocking (more than the grass area) and you can assume why fence is where it is. 

https://news.yahoo.com/17-old-arrested-bring-automatic-155320850.html

You can also find the social media post of  lady that reported this to security (if still available) to fill in the pieces if the article doesn't paint a clear enough picture...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The temp fence isn't circular in nature and it simply starts there and then flares out to the security checkpoint to prevent people from accessing the black fence between the two security entrances.  So if you wanted to go from one security checkpoint to the other due to one being slow you know cannot walk along the black fence between them but rather go around the temp fencing now.

Or maybe we are talking about two different fences but I don't recall another temp fence in front of park that isn't set up to prevent access to any area of the black security fence except for the temp fencing further down in the parking lot.  I don't recall one around the actual flagpole, but if there is, it is probably because someone tried to climb it LOL.

The area in red is the limits of the temp fence.  

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

I see what you are saying. However, when I read the article and it said to the north of the metal detectors, I took that to mean down by the picnic umbrellas down by where the old picnic grove used to be.  Not the area between the two sets of metal detectors.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

I see what you are saying. However, when I read the article and it said to the north of the metal detectors, I took that to mean down by the picnic umbrellas down by where the old picnic grove used to be.  Not the area between the two sets of metal detectors.

That was my thinking as well.  If memory serves the have the same temp fencing there as well along with a security person standing guard.

The area by the smoking and picnic area has an 8 foot black chain link fence and in many parts a secondary chain link fence and other obstructions.  

It would have been easier to slide a bag thru the slit fence area now blocked off than the chain link fence area.

But regardless, the temporary fencing is to provide another layer of preventing people from bypassing security.

• Like 1

All of these temporary metal fences everywhere is a bad look and makes a poor first impression for guests. If Kings Island thinks that the main entrance is really that flawed from a security standpoint, then I think Kings Island should look to a more permanent solution and renovate the whole front entrance plaza. The temporary metal fences have really overstayed their welcome in my opinion.

• Like 1

Remember when Paramount added them at KI in early 2000's.  Then at some point they were removed, brought back again, removed, then spot checks, and then brought back "permanent", albeit it still has a temporary feel, around 2017 season.  Or something like that LOL.  The original ones were more "permanent" looking than the current edition.

To be fair, the one set of temporary mental fences around the right side of the entrance has been there for at least a year. Kings Island could at least have installed a nicer more permanent fence. Even nicer temporary fencing like the fencing surrounding the temporary VIP Louge would be a huge improvement.

I couldn`t agree more.  I have no problem with that fence being there.  I just wish it were a little nicer looking and matched the rest of the security fence.  Heck, even some of the low zone black fencing would look better than the temporary barricades.  And like I said in an earlier post, make some of that brick seat wall on the right side available for guests to sit.  I get the point of the fencing, I just think it could look a little nicer and look more permanent.  Same thing I have always thought about the temporary rental light fixtures they bring in during Haunt.  If they need more light they should invest in better/more lights.  Hopefully the parking lot light upgrades help this season in that regard.

• Like 1

It is a shame that changes in society has necessitated modifications that were not required when the park opened.

This topic is a balancing act between aesthetics and security.

Best solution would be 8-10 foot fencing with barbed wire on top (or heck why not double fence it with a moat and alligators LOL).  But then it looks like you are entering a prison LOL.

The low profile fence has minimal distraction from an aesthetic standpoint, but also increases the likelihood of being compromised.

But then of course people compromised or attempted to compromise so additional fencing goes up.

The blocked off areas by temp fencing give clear site lines that the peripheral vision of security should recognize if someone is within those zones. 

Further, someone jumping temp fencing is more likely to knock it over or make more noise in getting around it, thus bringing attention to themselves.

I think for the casual guest (one or two visits per year or every couple of years), the temp fencing gives off the vibe that something broke down that path or it is uneven or puddles, so they temporary blocked it off and they don't think twice about it.

Other options would be to move the entire security checkpoint forward closer to the parking lot and have the checkpoints be at the various walkway entrances into the plaza; move the metal detectors into the toll booth area AKA Kings Dominion style, or redo the plaza area with a defined funnel pathway towards security checkpoints.

It is only the season pass holders that have to question every little detail LOL ;)

• Like 1

I do like the idea of moving the security checkpoints up. I think it would be better since it would allow security to cover more area as well as have a better view of the parking lot since currently it is too far up to see much. I made this little illustration of what I think this could look like. The Yellow is a security checkpoint, the red lines are fences (Some fences are already exist)image.png

• Like 4

On 5/2/2023 at 10:30 AM, BeeastFarmer said:

@Taylor.B03I like your concept, but the issue would be with exiting the park.  This would restrict movement out of the park, especially at higher demand times. 

unless they made a dedicated "exit" at the far RIGHT when looking at this - switch the exit turnstiles to the side by guest services which might make sense anyway as a main exit side. At full close all of these lanes could swap to exit only. The long median leading to the "main" security point could use a "cut" in it about halfway down to allow access to both check in sides easier. Or maybe the lane in the center could be dedicated exit. I think this set-up could work, and I like that it opens up the entry plaza - could maybe even make the entry plaza a little nicer since the crowd would be pushed a I bit further out. I would maybe push these checkpoints right to the end of the path before you get to the plaza to use the full length of the walkway leading up as a queue line

• Like 1

On 5/2/2023 at 1:49 AM, Taylor.B03 said:

I do like the idea of moving the security checkpoints up. I think it would be better since it would allow security to cover more area as well as have a better view of the parking lot since currently it is too far up to see much. I made this little illustration of what I think this could look like. The Yellow is a security checkpoint, the red lines are fences (Some fences are already exist)image.png

Also for Prestige Passholders, why don't they demolish the current ticket buildings and build new buildings and open up the pathway behind the ticket buildings and make that the Prestige Pass entrance? I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that was the season pass entrance during the Paramount days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Also for Prestige Passholders, why don't they demolish the current ticket buildings and build new buildings and open up the pathway behind the ticket buildings and make that the Prestige Pass entrance? I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that was the season pass entrance during the Paramount days.

Yes it was as well as before Paramount.