Fireworks 2023: Adventure Awaits!

BoddaH1994

Glad they are bringing back the drones and lasers.  I was kind of hoping they would show the 50th anniversary show again, but understand that it is no longer the 50th any more.  I wonder what the run time on the show will be, and if it will feature the song that was in the 50th.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, brenthodge said:

I like that they are also using this to tie into (at least in  name) to adventure port. Wonder if it will tie in visually in any way or just be general “adventure” in the park. 

I had the same thought. My guess is that this will be vaguely Adventure Port themed.

Question then: what if the fireworks open before AP does? I suppose it could kind of act as a hype video for a little while. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I had the same thought. My guess is that this will be vaguely Adventure Port themed.

Sounds about right as I feel if I remember correctly the firework show in 2021 had a loose theme around the theming of Orion. Mainly not terribly long before the show started it had a "countdown to launch" kind of thing in a space style theme. Again very loose. Also tie that in with the Area 72 launch party thing they did that year. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed. This feels like a "sustainable" level of spectacle considering how much time and money FFF likely cost the park. They didn't have to go as hard as they did, including a new original song, so it appears that the legacy of FFF will live on through higher production values for the nighttime shows.

• Like 1

Here are my thoughts - LOVE that they kept the production level up. LOVE that they saw a way to use all the investment from last year in infrastructure and apply it to a more "budget friendly" show that can run every night without breaking the bank (I was honestly surprised there wasn't a "B mode" version of FFF that they ran on weeknights last year as that show was crazy expensive to run) LOVE that they created ANOTHER original song instead of cut and pasting pop songs

BUT...

Wish the song was a bit more "ADVENTURE" oriented. I got the hints of Adventure Awaits, but it seemed more about going home and goodnight that starting an adventure. 

Wish there would be better programming of the fountains. I don't love them during the day just bopping and hopping around as they seem way to "busy". Wish the day mode was more slow transitions to a few different "grand" patterns like the before - don't even use the "show squiggle". Then at night during the show, they basically do the same hopping and bopping - fairly random - mostly all of them all of the time. Seems like there could be 1-2 "fountain only" moments (see next thought) that really take advantage of the show squiggle and the other spray heads to create more "pictures" with the water.

Wish there was about 3-5 more minutes. There was SO MUCH crammed into 5:55 that it was almost wasted at times. I feel like there are things that could be done to extend the run time a bit without upping the run cost. With Adventure Port opening (and giving them a "tie in" name for the show and park promo) wish there was a mini "park tour". FunFireworksFitty was about the seasons at the park and the park history moments - this show could be all about how "Adventure Awaits" at every bend and in every area of KI. Just a few seconds of area appropriate music with the fountains and laser images only - maybe 1-2 pyro adds for those not on I-STREEET would break up the same song used through the whole show

LASTLY - JUST BRING BACK PHANTOM THEATRE ALREADY! Theres yet another nod to the attraction in the show and its the ONLY "ride from the past" mentioned, so there is clearly an acknowledgement that this ride has a huge fan base and merchandising potential. Just announce the return LOL

• Like 3

We noticed the slightly odd focus on the day ending instead of adventure. I was hoping we would get a big Adventure Express "NOW YOU WILL PAY!!!" moment with the flames bursting on either side of the fountain. It felt like a natural addition for Fun, Fireworks and Fifty but I get that they were trying to cover a lot of ground last year.

Still though Adventure Awaits is all sincerely presented and original music is almost always welcome.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mikejenkins1 said:

So we watched the drones from back by Shake Rattle and Roll.

Did anyone else see the one drone at end after final Kings Island display go off on own and went down by Beast?

Wonder what that was all about.....

::selfish plug::

If you listed to the Attractions Group podcast with Joe Rozzi you’d already know that if the drones lose signal, they go down. :D That’s why so many safety precautions are taken. They lost a small handful of them in 2022, and all were recovered except one - which was found over the winter. 

12 minutes ago, Timchat2 said:

We noticed the slightly odd focus on the day ending instead of adventure. I was hoping we would get a big Adventure Express "NOW YOU WILL PAY!!!" moment with the flames bursting on either side of the fountain. It felt like a natural addition for Fun, Fireworks and Fifty but I get that they were trying to cover a lot of ground last year.

Still though Adventure Awaits is all sincerely presented and original music is almost always welcome.

I was also a little shocked that they did not make the AE logo. 

I think that the marketing theme of the year is “Adventure Awaits” or whatever; but I think that the average person would assume that the show would lean heavily into AP. I can’t complain because I think the content was very appropriate for the story they were trying to tell, maybe the name is just wrong? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

::selfish plug::

If you listed to the Attractions Group podcast with Joe Rozzi you’d already know that if the drones lose signal, they go down. :D That’s why so many safety precautions are taken. They lost a small handful of them in 2022, and all were recovered except one - which was found over the winter. 

I was also a little shocked that they did not make the AE logo. 

I think that the marketing theme of the year is “Adventure Awaits” or whatever; but I think that the average person would assume that the show would lean heavily into AP. I can’t complain because I think the content was very appropriate for the story they were trying to tell, maybe the name is just wrong? 

Which date/copy of the podcast is that on?

1 hour ago, mikejenkins1 said:

Which date/copy of the podcast is that on?

That would be episode 28, Jan 17,2023.

I always listen (watch) the podcast on youtube.  It's really well done and very informative.  Ryan and Don do a fantastic job.

• Like 1

Watched the show toinight (Saturday, May 27th) and was overall impressed.  Pretty much what I expected as a toned down version of FFF (which it should be concerning the FFF was for the 50th and what they do now looks much more substainable for years to come).

Love the concept the original music and the lazers which have a fantastic effect when shown through the fountain plumes.  It is tuely beautiful.  Also the lights in the fountains seem to be hilighted more with colors and synch with the show.  The only thing I would suggest is one or two more drone formations.  Seems like the go to the "generic fireworks".  Hopefully this will change as they make changes to the show and add different things to the drone show (like an AE logo as suggested in this post).   They did do changes last year as the summer went on.

Finally about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way through the show there seemed to be a partial power outage.  All things Adventure Awaits releated went out and I street went black.  The usual building lights stayed on so it wasn't completely dark but the fountains, lazers and music all went out.  Fireworks and Drones went on like nothing happened.  I'm sure they'll fix the issue before tonights show and what I did get to see was fantastic.

Amazing job again, glad to see the the drones will be a part of the show after FFF and it was nice to see new drone formations as well as some favorites from last year.  Well done again KI.  Don't forget to flip that breaker back before tonights show :) 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Taylor.B03 said:

A drone landed on The Beast's maintenance track

20230528_225518.jpg

Funny, but shows the dangers of those things if you are under them. That is with a professional company operating them. A very good photo to justify the no drone policy over KI.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cedar Fair Fanboy said:

Maybe they should paint the roof a different color so that the drone won't get confuse that this is gravel.

If the drone loses signal it will land itself. The drone did not target that roof thinking that it was the home position.