Cedar Point May 11, 2023

johnjniehaus

Alright just got back from a wonderful trip to CP and here's my report - 

Crowd level: lightest crowds I've ever seen at the park. Longest wait all day was 70min for Steel Vengeance. Millennium Force was a 45min wait  We got on Maverick in 30 min both times and everything else was definitely less than that. 

Boardwalk: looks fabulous. Wanted to try and eat at the new restaurant but we were in the back by mine ride when lunch rolled around so we had the farmhouse instead. The wild mouse looked fun but I wasn't willing to wait 45 min for it when millenium force at the same time of day was 20 min wait. I also liked that they covered their tracks of removing the Matterhorn and Scrambler from the main midway and replaced them with walking path and landscaping. You would never know they were there unless you knew they were there. 

Millennium Force: wonderful as always! Ops seemed a bit slow but it's early in the season so they have room for improvement

Magnum XL 200: experienced alot of down time during the trip. We didn't catch it until nearly 5pm and got two rides. To me personally still one of the best in the park.

Gemini: due to staffing they were only running the red side. Hopefully they get the rest of the staff trained soon!

Maverick: these ops were killing it! Line moved faster than I've ever seen it move and the ride only had one period of downtime that I noticed. 

Iron Dragon: wasn't operating however, they had trains on the lift and in the station so hopefully in a few weeks it'll be flying again

Cedar Downs Racing Derby: This is one of our favs and it was closed all day. I saw there was a wet paint sign by the ride so perhaps painting is why it wasn't operating or perhaps like blue Gemini it was a result of short staffing? Regardless my 9 year old sister was pretty disappointed until we promised we'd ride the Cadillac Cars 2x to make up for it. 

Of course we rode Steel Vengeance, Mine Ride, GateKeeper, Valravn, Raptor, Blue Streak, and Corkscrew. The only major coaster we didn't ride was Rougarou and the Wild Mouse. Altogether a beautiful day and we were able to do a lot of rides. Enjoyed this trip much more than some previous ones where the crowds are just so crazy up there. 

• Like 2

On 5/12/2023 at 8:28 AM, johnjniehaus said:

Alright just got back from a wonderful trip to CP and here's my report - 

Crowd level: lightest crowds I've ever seen at the park. Longest wait all day was 70min for Steel Vengeance. Millennium Force was a 45min wait  We got on Maverick in 30 min both times and everything else was definitely less than that. 

Boardwalk: looks fabulous. Wanted to try and eat at the new restaurant but we were in the back by mine ride when lunch rolled around so we had the farmhouse instead. The wild mouse looked fun but I wasn't willing to wait 45 min for it when millenium force at the same time of day was 20 min wait. I also liked that they covered their tracks of removing the Matterhorn and Scrambler from the main midway and replaced them with walking path and landscaping. You would never know they were there unless you knew they were there. 

Millennium Force: wonderful as always! Ops seemed a bit slow but it's early in the season so they have room for improvement

Magnum XL 200: experienced alot of down time during the trip. We didn't catch it until nearly 5pm and got two rides. To me personally still one of the best in the park.

Gemini: due to staffing they were only running the red side. Hopefully they get the rest of the staff trained soon!

Maverick: these ops were killing it! Line moved faster than I've ever seen it move and the ride only had one period of downtime that I noticed. 

Iron Dragon: wasn't operating however, they had trains on the lift and in the station so hopefully in a few weeks it'll be flying again

Cedar Downs Racing Derby: This is one of our favs and it was closed all day. I saw there was a wet paint sign by the ride so perhaps painting is why it wasn't operating or perhaps like blue Gemini it was a result of short staffing? Regardless my 9 year old sister was pretty disappointed until we promised we'd ride the Cadillac Cars 2x to make up for it. 

Of course we rode Steel Vengeance, Mine Ride, GateKeeper, Valravn, Raptor, Blue Streak, and Corkscrew. The only major coaster we didn't ride was Rougarou and the Wild Mouse. Altogether a beautiful day and we were able to do a lot of rides. Enjoyed this trip much more than some previous ones where the crowds are just so crazy up there. 

Surprisingly low waits! I’ve heard that Steel Vengeance is running slow this year so far that there is no ejector in the back, only the front. Did you find this to be the case?

On 5/16/2023 at 11:01 PM, Orion742 said:

Surprisingly low waits! I’ve heard that Steel Vengeance is running slow this year so far that there is no ejector in the back, only the front. Did you find this to be the case?

I went last year on the second Thur of May operations and found the lines to be shorter as well. I'm guessing because kids aren't out of school yet and families aren't ready to take vacation trips yet while you get more later in summer. Just mainly seemed to be older people and college kids. 

As for Steel Vengeance, I haven't ridden it a whole lot (I mean once per visit and probably a total of 5 times since it opened so I don't profess to be any kind of expert on how it rides). I can say that I didn't notice anything different but again I probably don't ride it enough to notice. I thought the airtime still delivered ejector and I was in the back half of the train. 

• Like 1

I went the second weekend of operation.

The bad:

Some crowds were big. 

Tons of downtime.

Several rides never opened (many were in line with your observations)

Midways were packed like Halloweekends

The new Breakers pizza experience. The pizza was fine. Very cheesy. They delivered the wrong pizza to our room. Getting this fixed was too long of a process. I had the receipt in front of me so I could read off anything they needed, but it still took quite a while to look up my order. Then the girl working seemed flustered (probably new). Then the GM took over the call and reconfirmed everything. Call was about 25 minutes. To their credit, it was the second weekend and they were relatively polite. But also… why on EARTH would they not automatically offer paper plates and napkins when they deliver to a hotel room? When we ordered (though the app) they just didn’t bring them. When I called, I asked for them to bring some with the corrected pizza and they said they would but didn’t. If the kinks are worked out then it’ll be nice to utilize that option. I didn’t know that Dominos was on site. Like I said, no complaints about the actual food… especially if you like a LOT of cheese like I do.

The good:

Wild Mouse was SO FUN and I loved the little sound effects and stuff. 

Boardwalk looked GREAT! Still needs some “stuff” that adds personality, but definitely a good job!

Grand Pavilion was large and beautiful! Great views of the park and the lake. Food was good and plentiful!

Breakers in general.

Actually, I’ll clarify. CP is not a full experience unless you stay on the peninsula. The ability to wake up and just walk to the park… plus walking along the beach at night. Those are my favorite parts of my visits.

• Like 2