Why do we love it so much?

hbgirlie

I'm writing a research paper for my english class about the cultural analysis of amusement parks, and i just have a couple of questions, if anybody could respond and give me some feed back on your thoughts that would help me out a ton! I also need a few good sources on the cultural aspect of amusement parks if anybody knows of any. Its a resarch paper, so I figured who better to ask than the people who love the parks? This will be my fourth season in the park and i love it, but I could use some help. Any thoughts on any of this?

why we find them so entertaining?

what keeps us coming back to the parks over and over agan?

what originally drew people to amusement parks and caused the industry to boom?

how did we move from the original amusement park, to the theme parks of today?

any paticular reason that parks became popular in one paticular area of the country..i.e. flordia, midwest, etc.

Thanks!

I think a lot of what makes a park enjoyable is escapism. You are completely getting away from your everyday life. Some people consider themselves adrenaline junkies for the fact that they love coasters. It's kind of like taking your life in your own hands, but not really.

Especially when you get air time on a coaster...then it just feels like your on top of the world (not to sound to Titanic) and nothing can ruin your day. I think we keep coming back to work there because we enjoy the atmosphere. There are a lot of people who work there and most of them get along and enjoy (or don't hate anyway) working with eachother.

I like going because it makes me feel young again. Some of my best childhood memories were at amusement parks. Now I get a thrill watching my kids experience all the rides and new experiences for the first time.

We also go back time and time again to escape and get away. It brings us closer as a family.

what keeps us coming back to the parks over and over agan?

what originally drew people to amusement parks and caused the industry to boom?

how did we move from the original amusement park, to the theme parks of today?

any paticular reason that parks became popular in one paticular area of the country..i.e. flordia, midwest, etc.

Thanks!

Q:what keeps us coming back to the parks over and over again?

A:its never the same experiance and even when i am having the worst day in the world, coming to PKI usually makes it tolerable. But its such a great atmosphere that it just keeps sucking you towards it. Like last year when i started working there it wasnt until about the end of october that i actually started saying," I have to work today" like it was a regular job, but i was normally excited to go, whether it be for work or to go with family or friends.

Cant help you with the last three though sorry

I come back to the amusement parks for the thrills. I have gone to many parks, and they are all unique. They are a great time.

As far as the region thing, my guess that it just worked out that way. In Ohio, there's not much to do besides Amusement parks. Florida, they already had tourists. They grew on that. That;s my guess.

For me, it's definately the escape. That and the adrenaline rush I get from a roller coaster is unlike anything else for me.

I don't really know about how these parks became so big in each specific part of the country. For instance, around Ohio, and the midwest, alot of these big parks grew up from those little picinic parks and small amusement parks like Coney Island did. Like GL, CP, and even PKI to some extent, all have roots to the early 20th century.

All I know, is we need more parks up here in Wisconsin!! biggrin.gif

For me it's the adrenaline rush. I have loved roller coasters and samusement parks and especially PKI ever since I had to have my Dad lift me up to ride The Racers. I love the feeling i get when i step on that first ride of the day. It's like no other experience.

I agree with Hoskins. I have felt that sigh of relief once entering the gates. It feels like all of the burdens of the world have been lifted off your shoulders, and you(and many others) are in a state of relaxation. It is still like that, even when I am an employee. It is still not a regular job for me, because everyday that I'm there- is an Adventure.

Kings Island knows how to capture a person's feeling of relaxation, and add fun into it, to create a quality experience.

What is it about ki that makes you feel like your in a state of relaxation? is it something you get just from being in the park, or is it that you know your in the park, so you get that mindset? ..does that make sense? haha, i'm not sure..

is this something you get just from ki, or from every park you visit? What makes it an escape?

^^ I don't know about anyone else, but that feeling of relaxation hits me like a truck when I come out from the ticket-takers, and I see all of International Street laid out before me. It just takes my breath away everytime. Same thing goes for SFGAm, when I walk in and see the double-decker Columbia Carousel in front of me, all of my stress and problems seem to just disappear. smile.gif

What is it about ki that makes you feel like your in a state of relaxation? is it something you get just from being in the park, or is it that you know your in the park, so you get that mindset? ..does that make sense? haha, i'm not sure..

is this something you get just from ki, or from every park you visit? What makes it an escape?

The relaxation comes from this i think. When you walk through those gates you know you are going to have a great day, I mean what could possibly go wrong. Its a gaurenteed good time and i think that has something to do with it