Want to see the flyers at their new home?

PCarowinds

Hi all from the city that always sleeps, er... that is Charlotte.

Saturday I went on an ACE tour of the construction of the new WORLD'S BIGGEST Nick Central coming to Carowinds this year.

As you well know we got you guys flying scooters and the PC ACErs are very excited about getting them.

See the link below for my pics I took Saturday if you want to see what the flyers look like now, or at least a hint of what they will look like. There will be a "city scape" built behind the flyers to give the illusion of flying above a city.

Enjoy! laugh.gif

http://community.webshots.com/album/283317067LYFXkp

Yeah - the paint job sucks.  But my main question is - will they ALLOW snapping?

Well this is what Scott (the PR guy) at PC said Saturday.

They tested it and it whoever rode wasn't able to snap, but he said that might have been the person on it too.

Also, I think he said it will have only a "squirrel cage" motor whatever that is, instead of a squirrel cage and another type (it had two before I think he said).

Hopefully it will snap, he said they didn't slow it down but it's probably hard to tell until you get a full load on there the first time.

I'm going to media day, so I can let you know after that.

Also Scott said the "official" policy was no snapping, but that's just for legal reasons. He basically said if you snap, they aren't going to stop you.

I've heard that those cables can handle way more load than snapping would ever bear on them.

Yes. I`m not sure how old the motors were when it was at Kings Island, but the ride dates to 1935 at Coney Island. I would assume that the motors that were on it at KI were most likely installed in 1972 when it was moved to KI. Obviosly, there have been a lot of technological advances between now and back in 1972. Although the motors could have and probably were replaced sometime since 1972.

Also, I think he said it will have only a "squirrel cage" motor whatever that is, instead of a squirrel cage and another type (it had two before I think he said).

It Probably used to have a Squirrel Cage Induction Motor.

Squirrel cage motors provide great torque and reliability.

• 2 weeks later...

Though I like the old school eagle paint job, I can't really fault the way it looks now. I think they did a pretty good job making the ride look like it could be something new that'll attract attention. I mean, besides the simplicity of it, with that paint job it looks like a new ride. I'm seriously glad they never gave it a paint job like that when it was here or there would be a line of kids waiting to ride stretching all the way to The Beast. I'm glad that the folks who run that site are having as much fun on them as we did. And I want one of those Flying Dutchman Revenge rides.

**let me set the record straight**

-The flyers has a totally new dual PLC system for faster start and quicker stops.

-The speed of the flyers are basically the same, if not faster

-Officially snapping isnt allowed, but off the record who's gonna monitor you.

-its just a ride scheme people! I wonder if they would have gotten the same response if they were converted into danny phantom flyers at PKI?

And lastly, a majority of you guys here are season pass holders USE IT! for what its made for.

and what gets me ever so p*ssed is I wont be able to snap when I visit carowinds this summer grrrr.. mad.gif

The flyers are snapping just fine and they only say snapping is not allowed for insurance purposes.

No one is going to stop you. And that was from a staff member too smile.gif

Today was media day and I can say without a doubt Snapping is not a bit of a problem.

I was doing some "mild snapping" but I observed a girl that was snapping the thing so much that she was getting slack in her cables!!!

So despite all the fears of what PC might do to the flyers, it appears that those fears were unfounded.

Well not to beat a dead horse, but I finally got my "snap on" Friday for the first time.

Wow that is so much fun.

Today out of the 10 or so times I rode it, I snapped at least 5 maybe 6 times. Not bad for a newbie to snapping.

At one point the ACErs were all on the ride and almost every bird was snapping.

So no problems in the snapping department at all. Come down and ride her some time smile.gif

**let me set the record straight**

-The flyers has a totally new dual PLC system for faster start and quicker stops.

-The speed of the flyers are basically the same, if not faster

please explain to me how having two plcs or even having one can make the ride start or stop any faster...

or maybe you are only repeating what someone else told you, therefore you have no idea what you are saying when you reply.

..matt

Yeah a PLC isnt going to make a ride start or stop faster, the main reason for having two PLCs is so one of them can be a watchdog to the other.

Ibelieve what the Phantom Flyers recieved new was a squirrel cage motor, which is more reliable than an induction motor.

Technically I guess a new PLC system could casue the ride to start and stop faster, but it really has nothing to do with the PLC itself, it jsut has to do with the timers and such. I don't know how the old system was set up, but maybe the new PLC if there even is a new PLC controls the Variable Frequency Drives differently and has a shorter accel / decel parameter time then before, or maybe they are using injection braking to stop it quicker, instead of the previous ramp down type at PKI.