Fire won't delay stunt track debut

From the Tuesday, March 8, 2005 Cincinnati enquirer:

"A fire at a Utah storage warehouse last week destroyed or damaged parts of Paramount's Kings Island's newest attraction, The Italian Job: Stunt Track. But park officials say the setback won't delay the opening of the interactive coaster, a ride based on a chase scene from the 2003 movie. Kings Island will open April 9, but the ride wasn't supposed to be finished until later. It wasn't clear Monday how much damage was done to the Mini Cooper S coaster cars when the warehouse burned in Byrum, Utah. But "all the plans in place are still a go," park spokesman Jeffrey Siebert said Monday. The Italian Job coaster is being built by Maryland-based Premier Rides, which did not return phone calls."

Here is a link to the story at the Enquirer website. It is the third story down.

Does it really take that long to construct new trains? Even if they have to do it completely over? I can't see it taking the next six months to build new trains. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I think.

Normally that would be true since when it comes down to it, it's a matter of fiberglass and steel, but since these cars are special in several different ways, I could understand why people would fear the worst.

You also have to keep in mind that especially with a ride like this, they have a lot of testing to do with the trains of the track, which calls for more delays.

Judgind by the construction pictures, the helicopter scene is going to be barricaded by the shipping crates. So unless you are on the ride, or in the Eiffel Tower, you won`t be able to see that scene. Also, there is a good segment of track that is in the tunnel, which for obvious reasons can not be seen from the midway.

Yes the trains are a little more advanced than normal trains. There are electronics on board, which require extra wiring to run the headlights and the subwoofers under the seats. Apparantly, from what I`ve heard, and this could be totally fictitous, but there were apparantly two trains that were not destroyed in the fire. So there is apparanatly a train at PCW and PKI so that they can begin preliminary teting of the equipment and the theatrical theming.

I`m looking forward to the park opening and to this ride opening.

I have a funny feeling about this. Knowing how major corporations and governments are about things like this, I am not at all surprised that PKI is saying the ride will open on time. However, with that in mind, they make no mention as to whether or not the ride will run at full capacity. It may in fact open on time, but it may have only one or two trains, and not the three total is was designed for. Sorry, but I am skeptical as to whether PKI is telling the whole truth, or just part of it.