PKI Going Smoke Free

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing ever irked me more than standing in line for ride and having to smell smoke. . . especially when there was NO SMOKING in line! Now if they can just make sure that those areas are properly monitored so that all the smokers are over 18. Nothing looks dumber and trashier than teenagers smoking.

Well, that should not have happened in years past, because as long as I can remember, smoking has been banned in ride lines. Hopefully, the park will be able to enforce this new rule. I definantly think it can make the atmosphere more family friendly and enjoyable to non-smokers. And, they do have a large amount of designated smoking areas, so it should not be that hard for smokers to find one of these areas when they are in the park.

I can live with designated smoking areas. That is perfectly fine, and i believe a smart decision, it will make our job easier and make the punishment for guests easier to dish out laugh.gif I just didnt agree with the ban of smoking all together. Just a question, can employees still smoke at oscars? or are we getting a new "area"?

While this is a literal breath of fresh air for all non-smokers, I'm hoping that Guest Relations won't have to hear a plethora of complaints about not being able to smoke anywhere they want. But with 19 smoking areas, it should keep the complaints down to an extent.

The ride ops are dancing in the streets for this one. laugh.gif

~S~

This is what I figured would happen. Although I am suprised about the 19 locations. Most parks that do this go for closer to 6 or 7. Although I would really like to see a map with the spots marked or just walk around the park and see where they are. They should be off the paths far enough so the smoke does not bother the other quests but close enough that smokers are willing to walk over there. Just 19 sounds a little high. I just figured it would have been closer to 10.

19 seems reasonable if you think...

6 main areas (I Street, Action Zone, Coney Mall, Rivertown, Nick Central / HB land, Boomerang Bay) That is 3 per an area, plus 1 additional place.

(If they do it that way, who knows, that part hasn't been decided yet I guess.)

Sounds like a winner to me!

Sadly, there will always be those disrespectful punks who'll light up when the "coast is clear" (such as in the 'deep' lines for AE, Beast, WWC, even Racer). As soon as crew or security is out of sight, out comes the smoke. Sure, they'll try to politely hide their cigs with the "cupped-hand, shallow toke" trick, but the same respect they have for their lungs is the respect they have for their fellow guests. Too cool to follow rules, I suppose. dry.gif

All I can say is, this won't change a thing. There will continue to be smokers in line and as someone earlier said, when no one is around to watch, smokers will light up even in the undesignated areas. What they need to do is enforce the policy in place for starters. And, flat out start ejecting people from the park for this.

Just a question, can employees still smoke at oscars? or are we getting a new "area"?

Yes, employees will be able to continue smoking on the back patio at Oscars and in outdoor backlot areas. Even though this will not change at Oscars, employees should be looking for other changes at the employee cafeteria. But that's another post for another topic.

Hooray, that takes care of about 50% of the trash in TRTR's line.  Now if we could only get the guests to properly dispose of those darn lemon slices, TRTR would have the cleanest line in the park.

Sorry about that.

Well Id like to make some kinda comment about this. Iam a smoker, Ive always respected people in lines i never lit any cigarette while standing in line. Although I did light up when walking down paths etc. If there going to persue this smoking in certain areas, I think they need to inforce the if your under 18 need to be with a adult rule, because i myself would rather have smoke blown right in my face over and over then listen to those loud rude underage spoiled kids who dont follow rules for two hours in a line. There mouthy loud and have no respect. Yeah I understand kids dont want to hang with parents but my god 10 yr olds walking around the park by themselfs. thanks

Well Id like to make some kinda comment about this. Iam a smoker, Ive always respected people in lines i never lit any cigarette while standing in line. Although I did light up when walking down paths etc. If there going to persue this smoking in certain areas, I think they need to inforce the if your under 18 need to be with a adult rule, because i myself would rather have smoke blown right in my face over and over then listen to those loud rude underage spoiled kids who dont follow rules for two hours in a line. There mouthy loud and have no respect. Yeah I understand kids dont want to hang with parents but my god 10 yr olds walking around the park by themselfs. thanks

I feel your pain. Especially those who act like they are _the stuff_

Sorry, but I am not a big fan of this at all. When I went to HW, I hated to have to find those little spots located somewhere I didnt know, and then stand there for 5 minutes while the non-smokers were looking at that area in disgust. Its almost like saying "Sure we give you the right to smoke, but you have to do it on our terms." Comeon people! This country was made through tobacco (and cotton and corn). At least let us enjoy it where we want!

Now dont go thinking Im a mean smoker and blow smoke in peoples faces. Im generally a nice smoker, unless you **** me off. I have never smoked in lines, or while surrounded by little kids or in a large, tightly packed group. All Im saying is that I can see the park taking a hit, albite small, in attendance. Tis all chef.gif

Oh yeah, speaking of which, as where they are going, I havent seen any special construction in 19 different areas that would look like smoking areas. I was thinking they would just use the existing paths like they already do for the beer.