PKI Going Smoke Free

All Im saying is that I can see the park taking a hit, albite small, in attendance. Tis all chef.gif

I have already had several people tell me that they don't intend to get season passes to the park this year because of the new regulations. I highly doubt allowing smoking in an outdoor venue ever really kept people away, but disallowing smoking or making it very inconvenient might.

The sad part is, if Tom's right and they're just going to mark off areas of the paths where people can smoke, then it's going to really accomplish nothing since non-smokers have to walk through or past it anyway.

What I would do would be to allow smoking in most areas, but supply ash trays next to every trash can and at the entrance to the rides. People complain about patrons throwing butts on the ground, but if there are no ash trays, they've got to go somewhere. In all honesty, I rarely see a situation at the park in which a smoker, assuming that he's following the rules, has ever blown smoke in anyone's face or done anything intentional like that. It strikes me as more of a victum statement than anything, 99% of the time you can just alter your path slightly and be out of the stream of smoke. Now, I do think that there should be distinguished areas in NC and HBL for smoking. Children are more sensative to smoke than the rest of the population and would know how to react if someone was bothering them. Adults on the other hand should know how to react. If someone is smoking on a midway, it's really not to hard to bypass them or avoid them. Even if they are in a situation in which they are breaking the rules like smoking in line, it's really not to hard too tell them about the rule. Maybe they don't know, and even if they do, if someone points it out to them, they'll likely put it out because someone has noticed. Heck, even if they didn't, it's not to hard to tell an associate and let them handle it.

In all honesty, I think that people use smoking as a big way to point the finger in today's world. Granted, there are a few people who have asthma or are allergic, but if you think about it, how come in the 1950s when you could smoke almost anywhere did people not speak up about being bothered by smoke? It was before the day and age that they knew about the health risks, but logically wouldn't the same amout of people be offended by the odor of the smoke? The answer is likely yes. It seems like non-smokers like to point the finger at "Mr. Dirtylungs" and claim to fall victum to his or her habit. Look at smokers as a sociological group: if you read through the previous posts in this thread, you find things like, "they always blow smoke in your face" or "they always liter and throw their cigarette butts on the ground". This is clearly a campaign to make smokers look like inconsiderate individuals who care about nothing. Think of it this way: how many smokers that you know personally would intentionally blow smoke in someone's face? Probably very few. People are conditioned to think that if an individual is smoking, they are intentionally trying to be rude to them or victumize them in some way, which really isn't true at all. As far as littering all the time, it's not like there are ash trays anywhere in the dry park for people to discard a burning cigarette. I'd hate to be the one to break it to you, but if you throw a burning cigarette into a trash can full of paper.... well... I think you can get my drift.

I am sympathetic to the notion of disallowing smoking in lines and in indoor areas of the park simply because in those scenarios you have to be around other people who really have no choice but to be in the path of the smoke. but outdoors... give me a break...

Sorry to be so anal, but that's what I think.

Ryan

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Accomplish nothing? Smoking was never allowed in the lines to begin with, yet people did it anyway. Smoking in lines is definitely going to decrease now as they will most likely not even be allowed to smoke going up to the line entrance. And I do consider smoking in lines to be a direct assault at the other guests, intentionally blowing smoke it others' faces or not. The rules are clear and everyone knows them. Those who choose to directly disobey those rules are being deliberately inconsiderate to everyone around them. How do I know they know the rules? Well, I've had several point out a theming sign that says 'no smoking beyond this point,'yet somehow they manage to miss the three bigger and more colorful NO SMOKING signs around them. It's kinda hard to find one sign and not the others. And you know as well as I do that you don't have to have smoke blown in your face to get a lungfull of it. I don't have asthma or anything, but if I inhale enough smoke, I will have a sore throat for days...and I don't particularly enjoy that. I understand about the tossing butts on the ground. PKI could use ashtrays. But I still shouldn't be finding these butts in the lines.

The health risk is another reason why smoking shouldn't be allowed everywhere. If people want to smoke, fine, who cares. But if someone chooses not to smoke, they shouldn't be forced to stand right next to someone smoking and just accept it, or as in a case mentioned earlier, forced to keep moving away from the smokers because they have a health condition. It just makes me wonder; causing someone bodily harm is illegal, forcing someone to breathe second hand smoke against their will isn't.

What is so inconvenient about the designated smoking area idea anyway. There are 19 spots! With this many, you can always smoke before or after going on the ride of your choice, and not having to walk very far. Seriously, how hard is it to go, at the very most, 2 hours without a cigarette. You go 8 hours a night sleeping without smoking don't you?

And there's my two cents. Feel free to disagree, it's a touchy topic. I had to write it because smoking irritates me, and I know it does alot worse to many other people.

Problem is Boddah, nearly every smoker I meet is inconsiderate, outside of my friends. They don't care where they discard their butts, they don't care if you don't like smoking because it is their "GOD given right." I could probably count the number of considerate smokers on one hand.

Ryan i couldnt have said it better myself, no one complained about it in the "Old Days", my brother even remembers having a designated smoking area AT SCHOOL so kids could smoke during lunch.

All you people need to grow up in my opinion. I would love to know what most of you consider a "considerate smoker". Does that mean when they are out in open air on I street, you ask them to put out there cig, and they say no, does that make them rude? I would really love to know

"What is so inconvenient about the designated smoking area idea anyway. There are 19 spots! With this many, you can always smoke before or after going on the ride of your choice, and not having to walk very far. Seriously, how hard is it to go, at the very most, 2 hours without a cigarette. You go 8 hours a night sleeping without smoking don't you?"

One for some reason i highly doubt its going to be that convieniant, it might be but i dont think it will. Two, its called will power, some have none. As someone else said, nicotine, is more addictive than Haroine which is the worst of the worst when it comes to drugs. People smoke when stressed out, to relax, or habitually liike when they are finished eating, others are social smokers. Its all mental. Until you start smoking a pack a day jeff, you will never understand how hard it is to go for 2 hours without a ciggerette, so dont act like its not a big deal. Thats like telling a crack head or coccaine addict to not snort a line or smoke a pipe for 2 hours, and those are people are much more rude and inconsiderate than ANY ciggarrette smoker i have ever met in my life.

In my opinion people in general, as always, need to quit b!tc_in and be more tolerant. Oh and mr. PKIbeast it is there god given right, they were born, they have a brain and they can make their own decisions. People dont make a big deal about drinking at the park, and i sure as h3ll would rather deal with a smoker than a DRUNK anyday of the week

jerry.gif

Why does this have to be such a sensitive issue?? Those of you that don't like smoking don't have to deal with it anymore. Those of you that do (like myself) have to follow the rules just as you do if you go to the grocery store, a restaurant, or even someone else's home. PKI is now now different, indoor venue or not.

There’s nothing to argue about in my opinion. The writing is on the wall. No smoking in the park unless you are in one of the designated areas. Case closed. At and what they cost a pack it's yet another reason to quit. Just use Graters ice cream as your crutch to help you stop smoking!

I mean considerate as in not blowing smoke in my direction or the littering with the butts. What I was saying was that in my experience, more often than not, most smokers are inconsiderate. It is your God given right to smoke and it's my God given right to not have it right in my face. Yeah, yeah, I hear walk away all the time, except if I'm already there and you (the smoker) just got there, then it is you who should have to move, not me. I'm glad that they have these designated areas. Now, if only they would actually do something about the smokers in line.

Now, if only they would actually do something about the smokers in line.

I think the hopes of the park is that by issuing this park-wide smoking ban, people will be much more aware that smoking is a "no-no" and will be more controlled and aware that they're breaking a rule, especially in areas where it is already not allowed, like in lines. Sure, in the longer, out-of-view lines it is going to be difficult to patrol, but that will most likely always be the case, most notably with teenagers. I don't know that Kings Island can ever control that.

At and what they cost a pack it's yet another reason to quit. Just use Graters ice cream as your crutch to help you stop smoking!

One, ciggarettes are cheap, as low as 1.50 a pack up to 3.50 depending on what brand you smoke, thats cheaper than gas is right now. Two) I know this is going to sound retarded, but since i started smoking i have lost 50 pounds, i used to use food as a crutch and i almost became a 300 pound tub of lard, once i started smoking i only ate once a day, and i lost like 80 pounds.

Oh yea, and if anyone says " I wish they would do something about those smokers in line" again im going to flip my lid. WE DO, DO SOMETHING IF YOU TELL US. That is what employees are for its part of our job and we also get paid to do it, some associates even get pleasure out of kicking them out of line for smoking. But if your to dumb to tell an associate its your own fault

P.S its such a sensitive subject because as ryan said, and as i have stated many times before, smokers feel as if they are being nailed to the wall for being smokers. Now that they have the smoking areas, they may as well put on a show, like those retarded truth ads on Tv, that say hey look at me im smoking. Its kind of hard to explain

P.S its such a sensitive subject because as ryan said, and as i have stated many times before, smokers feel as if they are being nailed to the wall for being smokers. Now that they have the smoking areas, they may as well put on a show, like those retarded truth ads on Tv, that say hey look at me im smoking. Its kind of hard to explain

Alright, I understand your point.

However, I refuse to believe that smokers are ignorant and think that smoking is still an accepted habit as it was so many years ago. You had to realize when you chose to start smoking (just as I did) that there are places where smoking is not allowed and that this number of places increases everyday. Yes, by placing smokers in designated areas they are saying "look, here are the smoky-smelling, risky-health people," but that's just part of smoking in today's world and it's never going to be something that everyone choses to ignore.

It's a habit and, yes, we are nailed to the wall for it, but that's society today and something that, as smokers, we should accept. If we don't, we're going to be in for an awful lot more upset in the coming years as smoking bans become a nation-wide trend.

Alright, I'm done preaching about this. Yay, Kings Island, blah, blah, blah ... tongue.gif

At and what they cost a pack it's yet another reason to quit. Just use Graters ice cream as your crutch to help you stop smoking!

One, ciggarettes are cheap, as low as 1.50 a pack up to 3.50 depending on what brand you smoke, thats cheaper than gas is right now. Two) I know this is going to sound retarded, but since i started smoking i have lost 50 pounds, i used to use food as a crutch and i almost became a 300 pound tub of lard, once i started smoking i only ate once a day, and i lost like 80 pounds.

Oh yea, and if anyone says " I wish they would do something about those smokers in line" again im going to flip my lid. WE DO, DO SOMETHING IF YOU TELL US. That is what employees are for its part of our job and we also get paid to do it, some associates even get pleasure out of kicking them out of line for smoking. But if your to dumb to tell an associate its your own fault

Now there’s an intelligent choice for ya. I started smoking to loose weight. Loose a few pounds and get lung cancer. I can see how that was a wise choice. Did you ever think of exercising? Now before you bash me on here think about what you just posted on here. I think smokers deserve rights like everyone else but there are rules.

I still eat jeff, just less than i used to. me substituting a ciggarette for a meal shrank my stomach. I still eat and am by no means not getting the nutrients i should be. Smoking aside, i would say im heathier than anyone else on this forum, and 80 pounds lighter. I still play sports(football and wrestling) and i still exercise regulary, so smoking hasnt hurt me that bad (yet)

I still eat jeff, just less than i used to. me substituting a ciggarette for a meal shrank my stomach. I still eat and am by no means not getting the nutrients i should be. Smoking aside, i would say im heathier than anyone else on this forum, and 80 pounds lighter. I still play sports(football and wrestling) and i still exercise regulary, so smoking hasnt hurt me that bad (yet)

I can hear your insurance guy running away as we speak. To each there own I guess.

"I can hear your insurance guy running away as we speak" - whoever said this you have no brain

He has no brain? Its true insurance rates are starting to go up for smokers and many companies wont take on clients who smoke or wont cover them if they die of certain cancers/diseases/factors that can be linked to smoking in any way.

I think you have no brain for smoking......Im not one of those "Truth" people and I know there is no concrete evidence that prooves second hand smoke kills and I think the stand and truth commercials are very deceiving but why smoke? honestly! Does it sustain your life in anyway? You HAVE to eat and drink, thats a vital life function, but your body works fine without pouring black tar down your throat! Why even start? My friend in my band started cause he said "i thought it would make me look cool". In todays world most people will label you and look down on you for it, it doesnt make you look cool, it doesnt help anyone, it creates litter and polution, there is not one good reason for smoking.....sure it relaxes some people but so does taking a nap, no one got cancer in their lungs from a nap. And yes Dxrunner, if you smoke 3 or 4 a day long enough in your life and continue that pattern you will develop problems. Good day and good luck.

www.nicoderm.com

He has no brain? Its true insurance rates are starting to go up for smokers and many companies wont take on clients who smoke or wont cover them if they die of certain cancers/diseases/factors that can be linked to smoking in any way.

I think you have no brain for smoking......Im not one of those "Truth" people and I know there is no concrete evidence that prooves second hand smoke kills and I think the stand and truth commercials are very deceiving but why smoke? honestly! Does it sustain your life in anyway? You HAVE to eat and drink, thats a vital life function, but your body works fine without pouring black tar down your throat! Why even start? My friend in my band started cause he said "i thought it would make me look cool". In todays world most people will label you and look down on you for it, it doesnt make you look cool, it doesnt help anyone, it creates litter and polution, there is not one good reason for smoking.....sure it relaxes some people but so does taking a nap, no one got cancer in their lungs from a nap. And yes Dxrunner, if you smoke 3 or 4 a day long enough in your life and continue that pattern you will develop problems. Good day and good luck.

www.nicoderm.com

One, you can lie about if you smoke or not. Two i dont even smoke a pack a week. Three i do eat normally now, 3 meals a day everyday, i was just saying its what "sparked" my weight loss. Four no i dont need to smoke and its not something i even have to have every day. I usually just have 1 or 2 when im pi$$ed off or stressed out. Five, i have quit before and if i wanted to i could quit permanatly, like i said its the will power thing. Six, if your friend started smoking because he thought it would make him look cool he is the biggest idiot i have ever heard of. Seven, until my doctor actually tells me that i have tar build up on my lungs ( i have had it checked twice and my lungs are still perfectly healthy) i see no reason to be afraid of the lung cancer crap anyways. Once you quit smoking, within 2 years your LUNGS GO BACK TO NORMAL. Im not that worried, about 3 or 4 a day. Finally, there are people who smoke a pack a day for 50 years and dont get any diseases from smoking what so ever so explain that....

The only thing i care about is the label me BS, its wrong and it shouldnt happen. In todays society its hey look its a smoker lets harass them and let them know how bad it is and blah blah blah, WE KNOW, we can read the side of the pack, and we see the same freakin commercials and websites as you, just shut up, we know.

I request to close this topic before we all kill each other? Just my request. I know how heated this topic is, its not right for either side to attack each other on this argument we all have our point of views which lean either way. Doesn't matter that were people also?!?! Think before you speak, Danny is a person as much as you are CombatStupendous... so uhmm back off!

The guy clearly opened himself up in a heated debate over the smoking ban at PKI. He actually started the bashing by saying I had no brain. It’s really a dead issue in my opinion. Like I stated earlier PKI has made it a rule.

I request to close this topic before we all kill each other? Just my request. I know how heated this topic is, its not right for either side to attack each other on this argument we all have our point of views which lean either way. Doesn't matter that were people also?!?! Think before you speak, Danny is a person as much as you are CombatStupendous... so uhmm back off!

First off, DXrunner started bashing people in the first place when he had no right to and he does it constantly on other topics...a taste of his own medicine if he will. And you say hes as much as a person as I am. Of course he is. I never said he wasnt! I dont agree with peoples decision to smoke but im not going ot hunt them down and persectute them for it! I never said he wasnt a person, so dont twist my words emonun. And yes Dxrunner tar can build up in your lungs in you smoke 3 or 4 cigs a day, eventually it will, like i said, just not as quickly as someone who smokes a pack or more a day. True, there are some people who can smoke two or more packs a day for 50 years and get no diseases but that is....RARE! What makes you think your gonna be so lucky? It affects your physical appearance too, I bet any of those people who have smoked two or more packs for 50 years have the most unattractive teeth.

I agree with Dxrunner on some things though...Labeling is wrong, I have friends and fmaily who smoke and while I dont agree with it Im not going to persecute them or label them with derogatory names. I also agree with Dxrunner that the people who run the "Truth" and "stand" commercials are deceiving and wrong. They are very stupid commercials that often have no proof to them...which is why you see some of them only once or twice on your television.

So once again, I do not see smokers as any less of a person then me, all Im saying is that theres no good benefits to it at all.

Family man you didnt have to make the comment about him "killing himself" suicide is different from smoking, that was a stupid thing to say my friend that makes people on our side look ignorant.