Things you miss ?

jlopez

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first... Why the hell did Arrow not think to bank?? they knew that there would be tremendous stress, standard physics!!

They must not have realized how much stress the swinging of the cars caused. The Bat's trains had shock absorbers on the top of the train, I'm assuming that they figured these shocks would absorb all of the stress, which in a way they did considering they had to replace shocks weekly. It also wasn't just the non-banking it was also the way the brakes were made. The Bat was made with brakes on the bottom instead of the top like suspended coasters today. The brakes on the bottom of the track also created large amounts of stress.

Also, like said before the banking wasn't the only problem. After they realized the lack of banking was a problem they actually replaced some of the curves and banked them, but it still didn't help. Overall, The Bat was just poorly designed in every way, but this can be expected from a prototype coaster that was built before the days of computers to help with the center line of the coaster.

okay i have a bone to pick...

first... Why the hell did Arrow not think to bank?? they knew that there would be tremendous stress, standard physics!!

second... i know what KING COBRA (KC) is, but why do i keep seeing KCKC?

Kentons Cove keelboat Canal, laugh.gif

It was located on the midway between HBL and RT.  It was probably 50 or so feet long and was a great shaded area.  A small portion of it is now located behind Migilla Gorilla's Grill. (Do I have that right?)

Likely they removed it just for the sake of a facelift.  Since PKI seems to like the layout they have and not really expand, things have to be removed in order to make way for new things... sounds like almost too simple of an answer, but it's very logical.

Yes, that is how I remember the arbor/vine tunnel. They never really replaced it with anything when they removed it. By getting rid of it as a passageway, It did route traffic around to several eating places in HBL, so perhaps that had something to do with it. It also gave HBL more shaded areas to rest with the tables that are under the remaining portion of it, and I know that was a goal of the 98 restructuring of HBL that led to the tunnel's removal. Still, the benefits to me did not match what was lost. I miss it, and it gave the park character!

Well, Legend Rider, I'm not sure about why Arrow did not make banked curves for The Bat, but it was a hard lesson learned. It was also the first of its' kind. I do know that originally, Arrow thought that they would be able to make a looping version of their suspended coaster.

"It was the log flume that got taken out and TR:TR sits where it was."

No, the log flume is still there. It is now themed to Wild Thornberry's. Kenton Cove's Keelboat Canal was removed for Tomb Raider.

Hes not talking about thornberrys. The quote was a question about what KCKC means. KCKC was Kentons Cove Keelboat Canal.......the log lfume that was taken out to make way for TRTR. Thornberrys was formally Kings Mill log flume or something and was renovated to be a thornberrys ride.

Arrow actually though they could make a looping version of the suspended coaster? When did they realize they couldnt? That probably gave way to the inverted coaster.

I miss the King Cobra and Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal. I was really disappointed when they got rid of KCKC. The line for it was always shorter than the other flume attractions.

I guess I also miss the bridge into Rivertown and the Original Entrance into Rivertown from HB. While the entrance is technically still there, it isn't the same when it is used as a cover for some outdoor tables and also missing the lights. (I think there were lights, but that was so long ago.)

winter fest OW3D!!!

i miss Kings Island. not PKI... but Kings Island... pictures from KI are almost lost forever... i've found a few sites, but nothing really what i'd like to see...

oh well...

this post in in Memory of the Phantom Theater... i touched my first boob on that ride, now it's gone. sad.gif

no more groaping because shaggy will be looking over me...

• 5 months later...

They still have some pretty impressive landscaping. In fact they brought in some new planters with small shrubs and flowers the week that they were shooting the commercial. Also, the planters by the Parmount Theater are overflowing with flowers. While some areas could use some sprucing up on the landscaping, for the most part the park does an excellent job. The planting around TR:TR are finally filling in and maturing a little, and it looks nice.

One of the things I miss is the fountains they used to have in Coney Mall, by where they had the ginko trees trimmed like "push pops" for lack of a better description. They are located in the circular area right by the Zephyr. The remains of the fountain still exist, they just covered it up with a planter.

Yeah, but the landscaping used to be incredible. The landscaping crew used to start early in the morning and not leave until late in the evening. There would be topiary throughout the park.

The only park that had better landscaping (Even More than Disney) was Opryland. Guess that we just have to leave that to the Bush parks now.

Funny, it's the little things that make the difference between a good park and a great park.