Top Gun Removal Alternative

Gordon Bombay

Well, first, there would have to be a good return on investment for making such a change to the cars. In other words, if ridership will not be affected, then there's no reason to change it. By the time that they would change this WAY down the road, no one will even care by then. I'm not sure anyone cares now, let alone 5-10 years down the road.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if they changed it or themed it to something more intresting, cause let's face it, Top Gun is not the best themed coaster at PKI. At one time it used to be themed very well. When I worked there that was the coaster to be seen at. Now you can almost get on in 5 minutes, and even though it's an exciting coaster, I would like to see more than just hills and grass and metal around me.

Ah but you see there has been 1 conversion to vekoma floorless trains. Too bad they cannot use the front row due to roughness and the fact they had to redig up alot of the land for new clearances.

Top Gun did have some new stuff below it last week for the theme section. Anywho parts are plentul and the ride is in great shape...though it could use a paint job back to its orginal colors.

Well, first, there would have to be a good return on investment for making such a change to the cars. In other words, if ridership will not be affected, then there's no reason to change it. By the time that they would change this WAY down the road, no one will even care by then. I'm not sure anyone cares now, let alone 5-10 years down the road.

I totally agree. The worst part would be trying to market the ride as a new attraction, sounds like a flop waiting to happen. There would be a lot of patrons who would go to the park and realize that it's the same old Top Gun and would be disappointed.

The best way they could do it is kind of how they do the FX Theatre movies, announce the big attraction, and throw that one in as the "mystery 3rd attraction" or however they did Spongebob in 2003. Of course, this would be a VERY expensive emulation of that.

The best way they could do it is kind of how they do the FX Theatre movies, announce the big attraction, and throw that one in as the "mystery 3rd attraction" or however they did Spongebob in 2003. Of course, this would be a VERY expensive emulation of that.

that is a good idea.....

Yes the current Top Gun cars are very cool but I wish they had wings on them to make them feel more like a fighter jet and I wish they would use the aircraft carrier itnerior theming!

I AGREE, THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS TO BEGAN WITH.

^I didnt mean it to sound like that theming is the only thing that makes a ride good cause its not. Theming can make rides a bit mroe thrilling and exciting. For Example: IJ:ST. If it didnt have theming it would just be like a small kiddy coaster going around track very slowly, but the theming on it is what makes it really interesting.

^I agree. I think Top Gun's days are numbered and I look to see it gone by 08, if not sooner. I hate to see it go b/c it is really fun in the front seat but it is so short. I don't think they will do much to it like adding wings or doing a major renovation to the themeing because it just can't get riders like it used to. Plus, if they put in a B&M or any other type of major roller coaster, I think it's popularity will drop even more.

Top Gun is a good coaster. When Top Gun was frist opend everyone was happy. Now as the ride is getting older and faster all the PKI fan boys what it out of the park?

Now I have been to PKI with two coasters that hang under the tracks The Bat and Top Gun. I would like to have The Bat back but, I know thats not going to happen. So keep Top Gun in the park.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I came up with this idea.

Flight Commander, a great ride (from what I hear). Unfortanetly, I never got to ride it.

Ok, think about the cars on it. You hade a joy stick that you could flip the car over with.

It would be cool if you had cars like that on Top Gun.

Do you get what I mean?

Its just a thought.

Unfortuanently that what be a big cost to develop cars like that to fit on an arrow looper and I dont know if they would be able to operate like that with the G-forces applied by the coaster. But I like the imaginative thinking, that would be a very cool idea if it worked, maybe if a computer turned you upside down at certain points so you wouldnt hit very high G's. it would be more like lfying in a fighter plane and give PKI another one of a kind ride, the cars would have to look like planes though.

Vortex is older than Top Gun, so it would be removed before TG. And, Vortex isn't going anywhere any time soon.

That's not the way things go. The Racers and Beast are older than King Cobra, yet the Cobra is gone. Should they have taken out the other two first because they were older? I don't think so. They can take a coaster away wherever and whenever they want.

Personally, I just think Top Gun needs a little "love"... Restore the themeing under the station, restore the sound track, a little paint, etc.

While the ride duration is a lot shorter, TG is still a superior ride experience to Iron Dragon (or "Iron Draggin'" as it's sometimes called...) at CP. As far as ride experience itself, I've always heard that TG is second only to Big Bad Wolf at BGW. (TG is certainly the best Arrow suspended I've ridden...excluding The Bat, of course...)

Joel

"Top Gun", the movie, is 19 years old! Haven't there been any newer, cool jet-fighter films in the last two decades? Maybe there are fewer riders because the freakin' movie is in the Lawrence Welk league? The soundtrack provides nostalgia for a generation that can't ride the thing anymore, perhaps? Maybe it can be re-themed "Blackhawk Down" or "Behind Enemy Lines". Those are movies that are still kinda hip, and can be hyper-themed for maximum thrill effect. "Top Gun" was cool in the days before Anthony Edwards (and, yes, Tom Cruise) went bald. They won't get rid of the coaster; maybe they'll update it.

Oh, wait! That includes your Thrill_Biscuit...Aaaaaargh! blink.gif

^Good call.

"The soundtrack provides nostalgia for a generation that can't ride the thing anymore, perhaps?"

Perhaps, but I doubt it. I'm not anywhere near not being able to ride any ride and TG was popular when I was a teen.

Vortex is older than Top Gun, so it would be removed before TG. And, Vortex isn't going anywhere any time soon.

That's not the way things go. The Racers and Beast are older than King Cobra, yet the Cobra is gone. Should they have taken out the other two first because they were older? I don't think so. They can take a coaster away wherever and whenever they want.

Vortex just got fixed two years ago and repainted, and also the wood on The Racers and The Scooby Doo/Beastie have been replaced. Also if you what to put The Beast has had some wood replaced over the years also. I really Don' think any coaster will be going soon. Top Gun just needs a new paint job the steel is good unlike that on the Cobera so it should be in park little longer.