vortexdemon05

should kings island expand?

I mean I'd hate to think they'll never expand or build a new area at some point. Especially if it means they'll have to start yanking things down in order to put stuff up. Hopefully it doesn't come to that for a while though.

22 minutes ago, ldhudsonjr said:

I mean I'd hate to think they'll never expand or build a new area at some point. Especially if it means they'll have to start yanking things down in order to put stuff up. Hopefully it doesn't come to that for a while though.

There are many aspects that go into removing a ride.  Parks need to take into account: ride reliability, maintenance costs, popularity, & overall guest experience to name a few off the top of my head.  I believe that ride removal just for the sake of not expending elsewhere would be one of the last deciding factors.

2 hours ago, Browntggrr said:

There are many aspects that go into removing a ride.  Parks need to take into account: ride reliability, maintenance costs, popularity, & overall guest experience to name a few off the top of my head.  I believe that ride removal just for the sake of not expending elsewhere would be one of the last deciding factors. 

I'm sure it's a factor to a certain degree. Expanding and building a new area adds a significant amount to the cost of a project, and I'd be really surprised if there aren't attractions at the park right now that they would consider taking down and replacing before building a brand new area. But yeah, I agree that they wouldn't take something down JUST to keep from having to expand. In any case, mostly I just wanted to put in my two cents that I'm not crazy about the idea of the park just staying the size it is now. At some point in the future I'd love to see another area added.

6 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

The last think anyone wants is Kong’s Island to become too big for the market it’s in. 

He’s always outgrowing his enclosures!65D405E3-6ACF-4D99-9EEA-BC7DB1607C44.jpeg

• Haha 3

Sometimes I feel like people are under the impression Kings Island is a small park in a small market. Yeah Cincinatti isn't as big as Charlotte but it's also placed in such a way that it draws people from many cities in three states.

I don’t think I’ve heard a lot of people consider Kings Island small, if we’re going to see a new area of the park it’s going to just be X-Base fully becoming a new area. I could see Kings Island build a hotel but I kind of doubt it, maybe a campground one  day hopefully but I also doubt that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Take a look at what happens to Geagua Lake. 

I see your point but I've also heard it theorized that Geagua lake was a casualty of the massive debt CF had to take on to get Kings Island among the other parks. They had to shed some weight after that.

Wasn't Geagua Lake's problem that it over-expanded too much at once?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joshua said:

Wasn't Geagua Lake's problem that it over-expanded too much at once?

Yes and no. To start with I don't think it would be in any way comparable to Kings Island adding another section. Six Flags purchased the Geagua lake property but then spent another $100+million to buy the Seaworld Ohio property and merge them into one park. CF eventually bought it and made some changes, but they didn't start closing things down until AFTER they borrowed a **** ton of money to buy the Paramount parks. Geagua lake was a huge park, and they simply couldn't afford it any longer after taking on such massive debt, because to your point it was EXTREMELY expensive to run. They had to cut it in order to afford Kings Island, Carrowinds, CW etc... In any case, its one thing to try to merge two large parks into one and THEN add a water park, it's quite another for Kings Island to add a new theme section. I just don't think it's a good comparison.

In short, I think the opportunity to purchase Kings Island and the other Paramount Parks outweighed their commitment to their also (relatively) recently acquired Geagua Lake park.

• Like 1

The way I understand it is: SIX bought GL.  SEAS then tried to buy GL from SIX, but SIX ended up buying Seaworld.  The had already taken a smaller family park (like Knoebels or Kentucky Kingdom), massively expanded it, and then added an aquatic park to it.  All to compete with Cedar Point.  Massive debt in one park.

With all the other problems facing SIX at the time, cutting their losses was the option they chose.  They had failed to invest wisely into GL, they just plopped major rides down with little infrastructure work.  

FUN bought the park and was in the process of scaling it back to a family park, but then along came Paramount Parks.  They saw an opportunity to seize on a massive scale and did so.  The ongoing expense of fixing GL was deemed to be too much for a smaller park close to the flagship and so they decided to build a waterpark and close the dry park.  We all know how that ended.

I never went to GL, but I wish it was still there.  Both SIX and FUN share the blame, but I think it was moreso the decisions that SIX made that ultimately led to the demise of the park.

The allure of GL was lost when SF over expanded both in size & rides.

The majority of the members here can't imagine how adding rides is a bad thing, but SF added so much so fast as direct competition to CP it turned many off.  GL was a really nice, family park.  SF commercialized it so much (similar to Paramount's takeover of KI) GL lost its charm.  Then adding SW was the nail in the coffin.  SF advertised the park as so big when people came, the disappointment was just as big.  The place was a haul to walk around.

When I mention "charm" I refer to parks like: Waldameer, BGW, and Hershey.

CF gets blame due to being the last owner that pulled the trigger.  Their mistake was taking it over from SF because the damage was already done.

• Like 3

GL had, in my opinion, the weakest layout of the 3 major Ohio parks. Even if Cedar Fair hadn't aquired it, I still think it would gone under at some point in its life. 

Let’s not forget that to get to GL is/was a nightmare as well.

CP is no easy drive either. But GL was way way worse.

We take for granted that KI is right off a major highway. Just a few miles north from a major interchange as well.

A lot of these parks were local parks that grew and people visited. KI was planned (very well IMO) from the beginning. It was time that eroded KI (loss of its hotel, camp grounds, golf course....)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2