SoB getting Intamin trains in 06........

Player

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

retrofit trains to any other coaster seems bad, unless this company is known for trains,

think, Gerstlauer has some awesome trains, and PTC owns!

i know some people dont like PTC trains, but they are a very pleasant ride! I would rather see some PTC trains on SOB, then i might enjoy the ride, but no, the trains need to be heavier than PTC

Who said Intamin had to design a train for Son of Beast with hydralic restraints? They could utilize the same mechanism that Son of Beast, Top Gun, Adventure Express, Vortex and most othe Arrow coasters use. I definantly think the Son of Beast trains from Premier will be around for quite some time. My issue isn`t so much the trains, but rather the track in a few spots. It is in those areas where the violent shaking causes my legs to be hurtled into the sides of the restraints. It just feels like in some spots you are being tested to see how much shaking you can take, and IMO, that is not what I want to feel when I ride a coaster. That is the one ride I am hesitant to ride at the park, for fear that it will ruin the rest of my day at the park after I ride it. But I will try it again this season, like I always do, and I will ride it on more than one visit.

Who said Intamin had to design a train for Son of Beast with hydralic restraints? They could utilize the same mechanism that Son of Beast, Top Gun, Adventure Express, Vortex and most othe Arrow coasters use. I definantly think the Son of Beast trains from Premier will be around for quite some time. My issue isn`t so much the trains, but rather the track in a few spots. It is in those areas where the violent shaking causes my legs to be hurtled into the sides of the restraints. It just feels like in some spots you are being tested to see how much shaking you can take, and IMO, that is not what I want to feel when I ride a coaster. That is the one ride I am hesitant to ride at the park, for fear that it will ruin the rest of my day at the park after I ride it. But I will try it again this season, like I always do, and I will ride it on more than one visit.

Intamin open air trains with a t-bar built specifically for SoB. My dream!

^Highly doubt you'll ever see a t-bar Intamin train on SOB, in fact you may never see one again unless they get the problems worked out with them. S:UE was closed for close to a year to replace them along with people falling out of them on a ride or two. Notice how KK has OSTR's while TTD has the t-bar. Intamin dosen't trust the t-bar any more and is building all their rides with OSTRs now it seems. So I highly doubt any park or ride, especially SOB will ever see an Inatmin t-bar; at least until they modify them to be safer.

I wouldnt know but from what I hear that ride wouldnt be worth getting at PKI. First off they cant really do much and they are very unrelabe. Its probally open about as much as Steel Dragon 2000 was and I heard rumors that PKD is on the verge of tearing out that coaster.

Dude, do you just sit there and make crap up to post? :-) First, aside from opening year, Volcano has been very reliable on my visits to PKD....every bit as reliable as FoF. Second, how could you even think about talking about the reliability of Volcano? Um, have you forgotten about our Tomb Raider?? Perhaps one one of the most tempormental and unreliable rides at any of the Paramount Parks :-) The likely hood of removing Volcano is probably about as likely as PKI removing The Beast.

For what its worth, SD2k isnt operating due to reliability issues. The Park has yet to reopen the attraction from the accident several summers back.

- Todd

^why would they have to put OTSR's on because of an extra bunny hill?

Personally, I'm wondering if its because the Intamin rides seem to eject riders out for a habit? After the Superman accident last year, those restraints were beefed up quite a bit.....and a tad umcomfortable with the new shin bars. In any event, I think this may be the trend for future Intamin coasters. Both Kingda Ka and RITA at Alton Towers are both fitted with the OTSRs that originated on Storm Runner last season. Are more retrofits in the future? Who knows? As I understand it though, both the Superman coasters at SFDL and SFA both have had modifications made over the off season. I've yet to hear any reports or see pics of what exactly was done.

I hear the Storm Runner restraints are actually quite comfortable though.

- Todd

Dude, do you just sit there and make crap up to post? :-) First, aside from opening year, Volcano has been very reliable on my visits to PKD....every bit as reliable as FoF. Second, how could you even think about talking about the reliability of Volcano? Um, have you forgotten about our Tomb Raider?? Perhaps one one of the most tempormental and unreliable rides at any of the Paramount Parks :-) The likely hood of removing Volcano is probably about as likely as PKI removing The Beast.

Delirum Guy, I'm not FlightofFear but if you read what he is responding to I'm pretty sure he's talking about Hypersonic, which has been very costly and unreliable.

Want to enjoy SOB w/out rattling your brains?? When you get to a rough spot, grab hold of the head rest, (not the grab bar!) pull your butt up a little off the seat. It works quite well, I was amazed the 1st time I tried it last summer... Before doing this, I could only ride front seat, now I can ride any seat...

Rick

Delirum Guy, I'm not FlightofFear but if you read what he is responding to I'm pretty sure he's talking about Hypersonic, which has been very costly and unreliable.

I wasn't talking about you, sorry for the confusion :-) Secondly, I'll agree with Hypersonic.....what a joke. I think thats up there with Son of Beast as one of the most worthless investments any park has made. Finally, I thought I saw elsewhere in this thread people talking about the reliability of Volcano. It has ran reliably, pretty much since season 2.

- Todd, glad to see that NO more Hypersonic's ever saw the light of day.....what a piece of crap

I wasn't talking about you, sorry for the confusion :-) Secondly, I'll agree with Hypersonic.....what a joke. I think thats up there with Son of Beast as one of the most worthless investments any park has made. Finally, I thought I saw elsewhere in this thread people talking about the reliability of Volcano. It has ran reliably, pretty much since season 2.

- Todd, glad to see that NO more Hypersonic's ever saw the light of day.....what a piece of crap

could we see a 500' TA2K at pki?

Joker, that is not true. It's not the TTD T-bar that is questionable. It's the one on Millennium Force that was similar to the Superman coaster at Six Flags. For all you know, Six Flags Great Adventure may have requested OTSR's in light of what happened at one of their other parks. TTD was a better version of the lap bar.

I wouldnt know but from what I hear that ride wouldnt be worth getting at PKI.  First off they cant really do much and they are very unrelabe.  Its probally open about as much as Steel Dragon 2000 was and I heard rumors that PKD is on the verge of tearing out that coaster.

For what its worth, SD2k isnt operating due to reliability issues. The Park has yet to reopen the attraction from the accident several summers back.

- Todd

And I wasn't talking about how SD2k was closed due to reliability issues I was comparing the time they both were open.

Yea I wasnt even talking about Volcano I was talking about Hyper Sonic. If your going to bash someone on this site make sure you know what they are talking about before you do.

The OTSR on Kingda Ka is due to the fact it has on airtime hill and due to some people falling of the T Bar's Intamin is taking no chances on the airtime hill and putting the OTSR on. Intamin's OTSR are really not that bad from what a hear and it shouldn't take away from the ride too much. All in all it is just an extra safety precation.

I wouldnt know but from what I hear that ride wouldnt be worth getting at PKI.  First off they cant really do much and they are very unrelabe.  Its probally open about as much as Steel Dragon 2000 was and I heard rumors that PKD is on the verge of tearing out that coaster.

- Todd

And I wasn't talking about how SD2k was closed due to reliability issues I was comparing the time they both were open.

Yea I wasnt even talking about Volcano I was talking about Hyper Sonic. If your going to bash someone on this site make sure you know what they are talking about before you do.

The OTSR on Kingda Ka is due to the fact it has on airtime hill and due to some people falling of the T Bar's Intamin is taking no chances on the airtime hill and putting the OTSR on. Intamin's OTSR are really not that bad from what a hear and it shouldn't take away from the ride too much. All in all it is just an extra safety precation.

isn't bashing against the TOS?

First, I'm not bashing you. Just mis-read. Chill. Peace. :-)

Secondly, you are right about the safety precautions. I think the OTSR's may be a new "go-forward" feature on alot of future Intamin rides. See a previous post of mine in this thread. The restraints look to be very open and unrestrictive. I'm looking forward to checking them out soon on Kingda Ka.

- Todd

Guest faceoff

I have rode storm runner at hershey park and the otsr are quite comfortable.

I believe the ttd should be changed to these because the manufacturer has a

rule now-if you cannot pull the seatbelt one inch,you cannot ride. I have seen

many people turned away,who the previous summer were allowed to ride. Or

maybe make the seatbelt a little longer. There is no room for any leeway. The

t-bar is fine. cool.gif

Why change Top Thrill Dragster to OTSR, just because of the seatbelt issue? And why at the end of your post do you seem to contradict yourself?

Yes, the seatbelts on Top Thrill Dragster are a little short, but that is due to safety. I personally would not like to see Cedar Point put OTSR on TTD. A classic ride out in Calirfornia was ruined by a similar move. Although that change occures quite some time ago.

t-bar is fine. cool.gif

so what if bigger people can't ride. that is a sign to start taking care of themselves. One less person in line,lol.

t-bar is fine. cool.gif

so what if bigger people can't ride. that is a sign to start taking care of themselves. One less person in line,lol.

user posted image

t-bar is fine. cool.gif

user posted image

must say, it seems very mean, if it clips it clips!

More than likely, every Intamin installation will have the OTSR's from here on out. This is truly sad. sad.gif

I dont see that happening but I do see some kind of better lap bar in the future. Kingda Ka was build before they could desgin a new and better lapbar so they just slapped on the OTSHR.

More than likely, every Intamin installation will have the OTSR's from here on out. This is truly sad. sad.gif

I dont see that happening but I do see some kind of better lap bar in the future. Kingda Ka was build before they could desgin a new and better lapbar so they just slapped on the OTSR.

Intamin already has a better lap bar. It's on TTD. The lap bars on MF are straight, the ones on TTD are slightly bent. I'm guessing that the death with the Superman:Ride of Steel coaster is what is prompting the OTSR's.