Ride behind Fast Pitch

Oldiesmann

I have noticed the remnants of an old ride back behind where the Fast Pitch game is now in Coney Mall, but have been unable to figure out what was there. My dad doesn't remember what used to be there, and all I can see from the top of the hill on The Racer is a big circular concrete slab with a hole in the middle of it... Anyone know what used to be there and why they didn't do something else with that spot?

i beleive you are talking about flight commander. this is a ride that was removed a few years after a death that occured on it. you can find a video of what the ride looked like, and the thrill it gave somewhere on this site. if you search, i'm sure you'll find it.

I have heard that Flight Commander was a ride that you could control the loops and flips yourself. Sounded pretty cool as long as you werent DRUNK!!!

The Flight Commander had two people sit in a pod. One of which would win the fight and get to control the joystick between them. If you move the joystick up or down, the arm would move accordingly, left or right would cause a barrel roll. It was a great ride... will be missed.

^I agree. I only got to ride it twice, but it was an awesome flat. If I'm not mistaken, you could barrell roll in either direction.

Yeah, you could.

Also, I think I told you guys the story about how I got my older sister to go on it when I was about 6 or so. She hadn't be on any type of inversion at the time, so being the good kid I was, I talked her into getting on the FC with me. I flipped thing upside down and shook the joystick back and forth so it would stay that way... scared the crap out of her, but after that she wasn't afraid of anything.

So you could stay upside down for the entire ride?

Not necessarily. If you put it upside down, it would say there for about 2 or 3 seconds and then automatically return to the upright position. If you shook the joystick back and forth, it with just rock the pod a little bit but stay upside down.

Not necessarily. If you put it upside down, it would say there for about 2 or 3 seconds and then automatically return to the upright position. If you shook the joystick back and forth, it with just rock the pod a little bit but stay upside down.

Actually pre-1991 you could stay upside down, after 1991 they added logic to the ride where it would automatically flip right side up after a few seconds.

Actually pre-1991 you could stay upside down, after 1991 they added logic to the ride where it would automatically flip right side up after a few seconds.

You sure? I'm pretty sure this went down after '91.