SOB

flightoffear1996

Do you think PKI will ever add tunnels to the Son of Beast. I know PKI is planning on putting tress and things by SOB but I would like to see tunnels

Trees would be awsome for SOB. Hopefully they won't put in little 3 foot tall trees, so we'll have to wait 50 years to have the sensation that we're going through the forest as you might on The Beast.

If I were going to put tunnels in, I'd put them at the bottom of the hill and partially up the second hill and maybe covering a helix.

I wish they'd put tunnels on SOB. The amount of tunnel time on Beast was one of its impressive points, Son of Beast should have at least ONE. I think at the bottom of the giant double helix there should be a tunnel, similar to Beast's final tunnel. A few trees would be nice too, but most of the time you're too high up to notice them anyway.

• Like 1

SoB has not had the glaring success that PKI had it built for. I'm sure that after time, and many complaints, PKI will do something different to make the ride more enjoyable, like they did with the lap bars on FoF, because IMO SoB it is the most uncomfortable ride in the park.

Unfortunatly some rides are not destined to be great rides. Like The Bat, Avalanche Run/ Disaster Transport at CP, and Drachen Fire at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. All are ok rides that had numerous problems; not necessarily mechanical, but how rough the ride is vs. how enjoyable the ride is. I would have to say that Drachen Fire and Sob are rides that had the same opinion of many park goers- it is too rough. Drachen Fire has been dismantled, and I would hope PKI would somehow change SoB so this does not happen. There will come a time when PKI will look at the cost of upkeep for SoB vs. how many people it attracts.

Dick Kinzel- I think the GM for CP- said the worst mistake he has made in this business was enclosing Avalanche Run, which cost $10,000,000.

Nah I think itll be around for awhile. Its just so big and its such a great structure. It is number 10 on travel channels greatest architechtural marvels. This is the same list with the eifel tower, hoover dam etc. I think it brings quite a few people in and I sure hope they never take it out. I love the ride. I love its roughness. A coaster that big should feel like your riding a coaster that big.

I think I understand what Inraider is saying.

Drachen Fire was a very expensive and experamental ride for Busch Gardens and it was only there for a short time They tried fixing it by removing one of the inversions but it still didn't help.Each year ridership declined and people were complaining about it being rough.The park tried to sell it and no one wanted it so they scrapped it.

I live in Pittsburgh near Kennywood park. Back in 1991 they put in a new coaster Steel Phantom.At the time it was the fastest coaster with the longest drop.And the only Hyper Coaster with inversions.It was rough People were getting whiplash.

A month after it opened they installed trim brakes But it really didnt help much.

Each year ridership kept falling. (practically a walk on most of the time) So Kennywood did the un-thinkable and removed the ride after 10 short years.Actually they removed the whole end of it and had a new company(morgan) come in and change the ride.No more inversions.But the reason for it being reworked was it was to rough.

So with that said dont be surprised if 10 years from now (with decling ridership and high matainance cost) they would remove it.

I like SOB it is very rough though.And Im sure i'm not alone on those thoughts.

and I think everyone rides it but how many people consider it re-ridable.

Heh next pkic meet get special permission to get sit thru's at the station. Last one to get off sob wins somethin. I could go all night.

I could ride SOB until the train falls off the track. My longest marathon was 23 rides in one hour. (It was on one of those thrill seeker thursday things for gold pass holders) It didnt hurt while I was sitting down, but when I got up... ouch. :censored:

I think if they do add tunnels the logical place would be at the bottom of the first helix and second for that matter.Its close to the ground so it wouldn't take all that much lumber or construction.And with it being so close to the ground with a little landscaping they may even be able to make it look like its part of the terrain and its cutting into the ground instead of just a wooden encosure over top of the track.

...Just my thoughts