Smoother SOB

pyrocoasterkid

Well, since I couldn't find a topic about this, I started a new one.... I rode SOB this past weekend, the 8th, and both my brother and I were pleasently surprised with its overall smoothness. It seems that massive amounts of the ride have been retracked. I actually enjoyed myself without having to protect myself. I know last year, my last ride beat me up. To me, this is how a woody should be... I would even dare say that it is smoother than beast *takes cover*... Does anyone have any info?

Well, I rode Son of Beast for the first time this year on Saturday. It was my 8th visit to the park, and I had ridden every other coaster in my previous trips to the park, except for Son of Beast. I decided it was time to ride it again this year to see if it was smoother than the last time I rode it last year. Unforunatly, I did not find it to be smoother this year. I rode in seat 1.2 and I was still shaken like a jack hammer hammering into concrete. This is one ride, that IMO, needs some serious TLC to make it a more enjoyable ride. I think it is by far the roughest ride in the park, a lot rougher than the original across the park.

Now, I really enjoy the ride and the layout. But I just don`t want to ride on a ride that will give me a headache and not able to enjoy the rest of the park the remainder of the day. I find it amazing that I rode the Son 9 times in one day during the pawprint passholder ERT back in July of 2000 (all nine rides were within a 2.25 hour time frame too). I know PKI has spent a lot of money with trying to smooth out this ride and make it enjoyable. I think, as others before me have said, that part of the problem is the trains. They don`t track well through the ride, and shuffle a lot, resulting in the violent shaking.

Hopefully, Son of Beast will become smoother and still hold its record and fame when it is 25 years old in 20 years like The Beast was last year. But I just don`t see it lasting that long without some major modifications of somesort. On a side note, I have heard rumors that Holiday World may be building a wooden coaster next year that will break The Beast`s record for longest wooden coaster. Say it ain`t so! Kudos to Holiday World if they do that because it will be one awesome ride!

It's not the track that needs fixing, it's those horrible trains. That's why you get that "jackhammering" effect. If you ever get the chance while riding, pay close attention to the train itself and watch how it shuffles back and forth. You don't get that on any other coaster.

Another reason you may have had a smoother ride is due to the wheels. Since it's still the beginning of the season, I would say that they are new. This can greatly increas the smoothness of the ride.

It's not the track that needs fixing, it's those horrible trains. That's why you get that "jackhammering" effect. If you ever get the chance while riding, pay close attention to the train itself and watch how it shuffles back and forth. You don't get that on any other coaster.

Yes, its true the trains on SOB don't track like they should. A coaster train is supposed to glide along the tracks not bounce up and down on it like the SOB trains do. I'm not sure if the "jackhammer" effect is do to bad trains or the track itself. It could very well be the track itself if its center line wasn't designed properly but I tend to agree with most and think it is the trains.

It isn't ture though that SOB is the only coaster that "shuffles" along the track instead of rolling. Another prime example of this is Mean Streak at Cedar Point which was built by the Dinn Corpoation. It suffers from the effect known as the "Dinn Shuffle" where the trains don't run on the track and jump around creating a very rough ride which is why Mean Streak now is riduculously trim breaked to try and lessen the "shuffle" effect. I know Mean Streak's problem results from the actual track design itself and not the trains. I wonder which it is with SOB.

I was not aware of this until I read it at Coasterbuzz, but, SOB's track is wider than most other woodies. That and the loop are two of the main reasons that SOB needs special trains.

Also, I don't really notice Mean Streak shuffling back and forth, whereas Sonny does.

No, PTC is still in business. They ould not use the standard PTC train for two reasons. One-it couldn`t handle the short turning radius required for the loop. (Not to mention it would have needed a more secure lapbar than the traditional PTC lap bar). The second reason they couldn`t use standard PTC trains is the track guage on SoB is actually wider than the guage on The Racer and Beast, and those PTC trains wouldn`t fit onto the tracck.

Also, I don't really notice Mean Streak shuffling back and forth, whereas Sonny does.

Yes, well like I said the excessive trim breaks on Mean Streak now greatly reduce the amount of shuffle. If you remember riding Mean Streak before all the trims you'll probably remember how much louder and rougher it was then now. Personally, I liked it a lot more back in the day because it at least delivered an exciting ride, I didn't really mind the roughness just like I really don't mind SOB, but now with all the trims Mean Streak may be smoother but it is really boring.

There's some more information about the "Dinn Shuffle" here

at ultimaterollercoaster.com in their history section, it's just a little from the top of the page. I've also seen some other sites and a couple of books that mention the "Dinn Shuffle" but I can't remember what they were.

Heres a suggestion, Try not to ride the SOB when it's raining, that stings your face like crazy! to me, there are times when the ride can be jerky, but some smoothes part, I haven't ridden it yet this year.

Going to have to support that. My friends and I did that last year and after the ride we got off and every single one of our faces were bright red from the rain! MAN DID THAT HURT!

Like I've said before, grab hold of the head rest in front of you, lift your butt off the seat just a bit, smooths the ride out..( you don't have to do this the whole ride, only the rough spots) This does work!! I too was at Paw Print nights, rode every car, beat my brains out. Now, after trying this , I can ride anywhere that I can grab a headrest.. What have you got to lose? Try it the next ride...

Rick