TRTR at Canada's Wonderland

Oldiesmann

The latest issue of the Cincinnati edition of AAA's Journeys magazine includes an article about several Ohio theme parks (Cedar Point, PKI, Geauga Lake, Kalahari Waterpark Resort (in Sandusky apparently) and the Beach). There are a couple of photos along with this article, one being of Cedar Point, and one credited as being Tomb Raider The Ride at PKI. However, the Tomb Raider The Ride shown in that picture is actually the one at Paramount's Canada's Wonderland (figured that out using Google's image search), which can be seen at http://www.coasterimage.com/pictures/canad...lercoasters.htm. My question is of course, why is the one there so much different than the one here? I know that several other parks have a Top Gun and a Vortex that are quite a bit different than the ones at PKI, but at least they're still roller coasters. This isn't even remotely similar to ours (although it looks like fun).

Yeah, I remember they were discussing about building it a year ago. They said it would be comlpetely different from PKI and PKD's. I was expecting it to be housed indoors and well-themed. All i can see is just the entrance and one wall of statues. Nice pics, though.

This is the Zamperla version of the "flyer" coaster. I've never actually ridden one, but the design hasn't gotten very good reviews (at least not from the one installed a few years ago at SFEG...)

My understanding is that they've got terrible capacity and are pretty uncomfortable to ride. (Judging from the pictures, I can see why people say they are uncomfortable.)

Joel

I've also heard that the Zamperela fliers are really uncomfortable. I haven't heard anything good about them but who knows. Its different from ours for the simple fact its just a name. PCW probably wanted a new roller coater and Paramount wanted to theme it to Tomb Raider so they did. Just since a ride has the same name it dosen't mean they have to be anything alike.

Guest TombraiderTy

I see how it looks uncomptorable but it looks pretty fun, but it would be much better if they housed it indoors and it had block brakes and sent you down towards lava and through a tunnel of ice.

That was a terrible ride to theme to Tomb Raider, the only theming is the station and the entrance and the paint scheme is awful. That flying coaster can in no way compare to the Vekoma flying dutchman model.

Well the Zamperela model is also probably five times cheaper and can fit in a layout 1/6 the size. You can't really compare the two. Its kind of like comparing a B&M to a shuttle loop.

^True, I'd much rather have a Vekoma flier then a Zamperela, but if I chose any flier I'd pick a B&M custom layout flier. B&M's fliers have better capacity and are more comfortable, but then again a B&M costs more then a Vekoma.

I agree with you that the Tomb Raider themeing was wasted on the PCW tomb raider, but I guess its kind of like PKI's Face/Off or Drop Zone which have no themeing from the movies, they were just used because the names are good fits for the rides.

Well, I will say one thing for it...they certainly got a good ROI on it! Wonderland had a HUGE increase in attendance last year...granted the numbers were somewhat schewed due to the SARS scare in Toronto the season before, but still, they had a great 2004.

Joel