TR: Paramount Canadas Wonderland

AZ Kinda Guy

Not much of a trip report this time as I'm really not motivated to participate on the forums anymore due to the sheer stupidity of some people. However, there are some people out there who enjoy my pictures from my trips. Without further delay, here's the link for my pics...

My Yahoo Picture Page

Just click the Canadas Wonderland album and let me know what you think.

Pics get better every time, Aaron.

I went to Toronto for my spring break my senior year of highschool along with DirtySteve and a couple of other people that you guys wouldn't know. We didn't go to PCW because it was too early in the season, but we did get to see the sites around the city and have some fun.... and I was drunk.

Nice pics...I think I'd rather look through a photo album than read a traditional TR anytime.

A few questions for you, as I've never been to Wonderland...

1) I assume from your captions of the TR:TR pics that your opinion of the ride was as bad as all the other reviews I've read of the Zamperla Flyer? How would you describe the ride?

2) I know that their International Street is "capped" by the fake mountain (as opposed to the Eifel Tower at PKI and PKD)...is the rest of International Street similar to the other two parks?

3) How was the overall themeing in the park as compared to PKI? Some of the pictures (area entrances, the Paramount Theater, etc.) appear that the themeing is pretty cool.

Again...great pics!

Joel

Hi,

Nice pictures. It's too bad that some people have made you not want to take the time to write a TR. I don't usually reply to most of them...but I do read them. I was wondering how you would rate Wonderland againt Kings Island. My family is looking for something new to do this summer. Wonderland would be about a 9-10 hour drive for us...would you reccomend that? Dominion & Carowinds would be about 12 hours away...have you tried either of those? Would they be a better "bet" in your opinion?

Thanks...and once again nice pictures.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I really do appreciate them. Now on to some of the questions that were asked...

Joel,

1. Wonderlands Zamperela Flyer wasn't the worst ride I've been on. Nor was it by any means a great ride. The ride experience was bumpy and, at times, rough. Also, not once did I get the sensation of flying. The car you ride in is odd to say the least but I LOVE the lift and it seems to work very proficiently(sp?) too. The station is rather unique too because the cars never stop in the station while your loading. They only stop at the very end of the station while your waiting to get engage the lift. All in all, I'd say the Zamperela Flyer was a good idea but bad execution. Sad thing is, I'm told Wonderlands version is the smoothest of all the versions out there.

2. Their International Street isn't dead on similar but I did get the I Street "feeling". I believe the fountains have alot to do with this. Theirs seemed to be smaller as well. All in all though, it was definatley a Paramount I Street.

3. The amount and quality of the themeing seemed to be very similar to PKI's. A few spots here and there but nothing to write home about. Once all is said and done though, I'd give the nod to PKI.

Standbyme,

Wonderland against Kings Island? Wonderland is a very nice park with a pleasant atmosphere but it is by no means a PKI. PKI beats it in almost every aspect. However, comparing the two isn't very fair seeing how PKI is the flagship park of the chain.

Having now experienced Wonderland and being 8 hours away, it's not a park I'd go out of the way for. If I was in the area? Of course. But it's not a park I'd plan a whole trip around.

I have been to Dominion and would reccommend Dominion over Wonderland. However you say your looking for something different so maybe Wonderland is right up your alley? Seeing how Dominion is strikingly familar to PKI.

standbyme, carowinds is a bit different from PKI. It doesnt have a mountain or eifel tower. It has a racing coaster designed by John Allen that is somewhat similar to ours and the racing coaster runs over the North Carolina/South Carolina border. It's a very nice park and it sports two B&M's. A B&M stand up and a B&M invert, which is my favorite coaster.

Great pics AZkindaguy!

Thanks for the info...it helps. I wouldn't want to drive that far and have everyone somewhat dissapointed. Like I said, it's a family trip...and not all the family are thrill-riders...some just like the "normal" rides & the atmosphere...which PKI has. So, even though Cedar Point has great coasters, I know it will not thrill everyone...and Six Flags Great America is pretty awful. The only other nearby park for us is Six Flags St.Louis, and mostly everyone has been there a few years ago...so that's what I mean when I say we're looking for something a little "different". Your advice did help.

Thanks again!

...so that's what I mean when I say we're looking for something a little "different". Your advice did help.

Thanks again!

Have you thought about BGW, or is that too far outside of your driving range? It's a beautiful park, with a lot to please everyone...

• 2 weeks later...

Wild Beast kicks ass. It doesn't have the airtime that some other woodies have, but it's an action packed ride and not rough at all. Has stood up well with time, unlike Minebuster, the other PCW woodie.

I thought SledgeHammer looked awesome before riding it, but after, I thought it sucked. And Delerium is much better than Psyclone. The best flat ride at PCW is probably Shockwave. That thing is bad ass.

One question i wanted to ask was why did Minebuster confuse you? lol, I was most curious about that part.

I think the one thing PCW has over other Paramount parks is its flats. Honestly, we do have some of the most varied and amazing flats out there. PKI has us beat in the coaster department, however we do have, I belive its now 13 or 14 coasters...technically speaking of course lol.

Its all a matter of perspective I think.

I've never been to PKI so I cannot judge completely, but I would say, if you want flat rides and a couple good coasters in a nicely maintained park then come to PCW. If you want coasters and some flats in what I hear is also a nicely maintained park, then go to PKI. It's really only a matter of prefference. I say do both, why not. lol

PKI has a better assortment of original coasters, whereas PCW has a lot of clones [The Bat, Top Gun, Vortex, Ghoster Coaster, Silver Streak, SkyRider]. In fact, outside of Dragon Fire, I really don't think they have an "original" steel coaster.

Anyway, I prefer PCW slightly, because it's a bit smaller and more familiar to me. PKI didn't impress me at all when I was there this week, and I wouldn't spend money on going there again, even if I have a season's pass. Wonderland, however, I consistantly visit, as I enjoy their rides more, and their flats, while mostly similar to PKIs, have a couple that give PCW a slight edge [shockwave, mostly].

That's just me though.

I hope your comment on the Petro-Canada gas picture wasn't serious about the cheap fuel. That price (81.5 cents Canadian) when converted to U.S. currency and into gallons (many people don't realize they measure gas in liters up there)... it's actually about $2.60 U.S. per gallon!!!

PKI has a better assortment of original coasters, whereas PCW has a lot of clones [The Bat, Top Gun, Vortex, Ghoster Coaster, Silver Streak, SkyRider]. In fact, outside of Dragon Fire, I really don't think they have an "original" steel coaster.

Actually, if you look at it, PKI only has 2 original steel coasters. Vortex and Adventure Express. Top Gun is a clone, it was built 2 years after the one in Canada. Silver Streak and Reptar both opened the same season. I haven't been to Wonderland in about 8 years, but I always remember it being a beautiful Park. I'm hoping to get up there again this summer. Some of their flats look out of control. I'm pretty much thinking they own PKI in the flat ride department.

- Todd

• 3 weeks later...

What clones? What is Top Gun a clone of? Looks like a suspended looping coaster to me. PKI's is a suspended, PC's is a B&M invert, and PGA's is a B&M invert too. The Bat is not a clone of anything, it's a boomerang coaster. Vortex at PKI is a Arrow mega looper, PGA and PC have standing coasters named Vortex and Canada's is a suspended coaster.