Kingda Ka

Yeah, the reviews that I've read have all said that the bunny hop provides no air time.

Also, Kingda Ka uses OTSRs as opposed to TTD's lap bars, and that there is quite a bit of head banging on it that you don't get on TTD...

On the plus side, however, the ride's (and surrounding area's) themeing is fantastic! They did an incredible job on that...Six Flags spent a bundle on this attraction.

Joel

How long does anyone think it will be before we see the end of the Hyper-Coaster era? Maintenance is probably going to cause Hypersonic at PKD to be pulled, I think one of the Superman coasters at Six Flags has already been dismantled, and in it's first year TTD at Cedar Point was real unreliable.

Will parks start going with special effects coasters similar to IJST? Special effects take an ordinary ride to a completely other level. Without special effects, the Tomb Raider ride is just another flat. But with the special effects. Heck the line que is almost worth the wait itself. Has anyone ever ridden Spiderman at Universal Orlando???? Could ride that time after time after time.

I just think that sooner or later- taller, faster, etc.... will just get redundant and really unsafe..... if not already. you take an ordinary insect and smack it with your face at 80mph.....

I just think that sooner or later- taller, faster, etc.... will just get redundant and really unsafe..... if not already. you take an ordinary insect and smack it with your face at 80mph.....

...or, in Fabio's case--a pigeon!! biggrin.gif

I think you'll see the height and speed race slow down, but not stop. Especially for Cedar Point. Everyone's not going to jump on the theming bandwagon either. CP is not known for theming, and they are not about to stop. It's not unsafe either. The incident at SF was due to the rider and the ride ops not paying close enough attention. The maintenance is only bad for Superman at SFMM. The other Superman coasters do just fine. Don't know anything about hypersonic, but I do know it's not a hypercoaster. It is not over 200ft tall. Plus, there's only two of them in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw some pics and reviews on Kingda Ka and I will probably head up there to ride it...it does just look like a taller TTD with a bunny hop, though.

Why don't they make a big coaster like TTD and Kingda Ka that actually does something more...I don't know, a couple of loops to slow it down instead of a bunny hill, some nice theming, a track beyond the huge first hill...sure it would cost money, but it would draw loads of people to the park. Especially coaster enthusiasts looking for something more.

That kind of thing looks FUN, but it's just not enough in my opinion...

I think we need to build a new Top Gun, but make it a launch coster. I've already made a rough design. It could go up the hill, and come down like TTD, but then make a wide left turn and do barrel rolls. After that it would go into two helix's and come up to a little hill like on MF, and go into the station. Also, I think that they could make a aircract carrier like station, with a restruant and shops in it. In the station they need to make a system of elevators and lifts that could get more trains loaded faster, and give a more aircraft carrier feel.

Just an idea so don't shoot it down with logic. Lkingsmiley.png

What they need to do is what Mr. Freeze has. Mr. Freeze has a system where they load one train while the other is going through the track, then when the one train comes back, they move the track and the train that they just loaded launches and the one that just ran the cycle is unloaded and loaded. And remember, Mr. Freeze is a SHUTTLE coaster.

Think if they incorporated this design on a closed circut coaster where there were 3 or even four trains doing this at a time.

If the top of the tower say on a rocket coaster was the block section (Becuase if the train makes it over the top then it will make it through the rest of the track) then once it is launched and peaked the top it would be safe to roll another train into place, while the first train runs through a mid course brake, the other train is launched, and another rolls into place. If this was succesfully implimented even the fastest, tallest, longest coaster could have very short lines instead of being about 5-6 hours on a normal day.

I think we need to build a new Top Gun, but make it a launch coster. I've already made a rough design. It could go up the hill, and come down like TTD, but then make a wide left turn and do barrel rolls. After that it would go into two helix's and come up to a little hill like on MF, and go into the station. Also, I think that they could make a aircract carrier like station, with a restruant and shops in it. In the station they need to make a system of elevators and lifts that could get more trains loaded faster, and give a more aircraft carrier feel.

Just an idea so don't shoot it down with logic. Lkingsmiley.png

That's kind of a cool idea... However, instead of going for a 400+ record (like TTD and Kingda Ka), I think a heavily themed rocket coaster around the size of Xcelerator @ KBF would be good. Mechanically, Xcelerator seems to be pretty stable now (compared to its bigger brothers), and with the lower height/slower speed maybe more elements (i.e., the barrel rolls, etc.) would be possible.

I like the aircraft carrier station idea too--sort of a hyped up version of the current one. The first level of the carrier could contain the majority of the queue lines, the second level the gift shop, maybe some pay-to-play VR game, and the ride's exit, and the third level the coaster station itself. large capacity elevators could transport riders from the first floor queue area to the third floor station...acting both as a traffic control system as well as a preshow.

Of course, I'm sure these ideas would wipe out about three years' worth of PKI's cap ex budget biggrin.gif But, oh well, there's never a shortage of ideas on PKIC!

Joel

I think Top Gun is a good ride, though a little shorter than I would like. Whenever I've been at the park, there's not been more than a two / three minute wait for the ride, so I've ridden it eight plus times every trip...it does annoy me that I have to walk all the way up that exit path then back down the entrance. Last time, my cousin and I kept running back to it though - we were trying to ride it ten times in an hour...we only got 6, I think.

But the idea you had to rebuild Top Gun sounds like a good one. More themed; a little more than just a big hill and a launch. THAT'S what coaster enthusiasts need!

Why does everyone complain about top gun? When ever I go to PKI there is always a line to greet me.

Kingda Ka is gonna rock. wink.gif

Top Gun is a good ride however the short experience and lack of theming is what kills it for me. I mean they need to get that theming back, from what I hear it was fantastic.

^What I mean is, is that paramount needs to find some better movies to theme to. They havent had a lot of good movies they could theme to lately. Top Gun makes an excellent theme, but its getting to be an older movie. Italian Job was a good theme and Mission Impossible is a good theme too if theyd do something with that.

Why does everyone complain about top gun? When ever I go to PKI there is always a line to greet me.

Who ever complained about it?

That's kind of a cool idea... However, instead of going for a 400+ record (like TTD and Kingda Ka), I think a heavily themed rocket coaster around the size of Xcelerator @ KBF would be good. Mechanically, Xcelerator seems to be pretty stable now (compared to its bigger brothers), and with the lower height/slower speed maybe more elements (i.e., the barrel rolls, etc.) would be possible.

I forgot to include that I didn't want a record breaker, just an awesome ride!

Xcelerator at KBF is actually stable (I've ridden it look here I'm in black.)

If PKI got a nice record breaker, people would flock to PKI. It would also be a boost in attendance and a boost in profit. The only bad thing is the millions spent on this tall, fast, and heavily themed ride. If we got a Kingda Ka breaker then we wouldnt get a new coaster for about...20 more years! laugh.gif You people have to think small. IJST is small and awsome. Its also a record breaker! First Mini-Cooper themed coaster! Its the first coaster with the word "Job" in the name. Its the first Premier coaster to have 3 trains! Its the first...Yeah...You get the point.