Cincy Zoo Building New Park near PKI

Actually, they're keeping the "mother" zoo (as the spokesperson referred to it in the article). This is going to offer a more "interactive" experience, and compliment the main zoo. (Although, they haven't gone into any details about what might be there...)

I highly doubt that this satelite facility will stray too far from the zoo philosophy of having animals. Yes the Cincinnati Zoo does have a Chance train and carousel, but those are merely ways in which the park suplements its operating income. Keep in mind that the Cincinnati Zoo is known for its breeding programs. It is after all the only zoo to have succesfully bred a sumatran rhino, twice.

Yep, I agree with CoastersRZ 100%.

There's absolutely no reason to believe that the Cincinnati Zoo would suddenly turn into "Busch Gardens" of Ohio. (That would be a quite a feat, considering they're a non-profit scientific/research organization.) The reason why they're building the new facility near PKI is because that's where the land happens to be that someone donated to them. (It's lucky that it happens to be in a growing tourist area...)

Besides having great theme parks, Ohio is pretty lucky to have outstanding zoos as well. The Cincinnati, Columbus, and Toledo zoos are all outstanding. (I've heard the Cleveland Zoo is pretty good as well.) In addition, the Columbus Zoo operates "The Wilds" in eastern Ohio which is the largest "safari" facility outside of Africa!

Joel

I would visit the zoo more often if it weren't so expensive. It's only 10 or 15 minutes from me. I can't really afford a zoo membership at the moment ($47, $77 or $116 depending on which perks you want - you have to pay $77 just to get free parking!).

Because the Cincinnati Zoo is a not-for profit company. They are first and foremost a zoo, and would NOT want to sink money into things that stray that far from their mission statement. They, like all zoos, are there to educate people about endangered animals, and to try and provide protection and new breeding programs to ensure that endangered animals will still be around for future generations. Roller coasters just don`t fit into their non-profit agenda.

That being said, the Zoo does offer an experience quite similar to a theme park. Have you ever been in any of their buildings? Some of them are themed extrodinarily well. Closer to Disney than any of PKI`s rides have been, as far as the little details. Part of that is because they try and not make it look like cages, but the animals` actual habitat.

I realize that the zoo needs the money, but I just don't feel like spending $20 to go to the zoo, although it looks like they've expanded a bit since I was last there (about a year and a half ago) - I noticed they've got a carousel now (which seems to be a common thing at zoos these days...). I was looking at prices for zoos in other major cities within a couple hours of Cincinnati, and found something interesting...

Indianapolis: $11.50 ($5.00 parking; additional $1 for admission to White River Gardens)

Columbus: $9.00 ($3.00 parking)

Louisville: $9.50 (free parking)

Both Louisville and Columbus are quite a bit larger than Cincinnati (so is Indianapolis for that matter, although their prices are not much cheaper).

WHat if the Zoo and PKI didnt a joint project. PKI builds some rides and the zoo well they build the zoo. I know it wouldn't happen but it would be kind of cool. Maybe the Zoo is looking to make some money and they want to start their own Bush Gardens type park after seeing the succes they have. WE can only hope.