Paralegal Called Me

PKIVortex

I had a weird message today when I got in from work. A Paralegal (SP) called me and wanted to ask what I thought about The Vortex. I haven't had a chance to call her back yet, but I will the first thing tomorrow. She said she got my name from PKI. Not sure if she got my name from being a past employee of PKI and the fact that I worked on Vortex in 2001 or what. Or if she just got my name from the many years of being a PKI Season Pass holder. I just find this very strange. Anyone know what this could be about?

possibly for an injury claimn or something.... boy i nkow i have gotten whiplashed a few times on Vortex.... or at least it felt like it! lol....

That's what I'm thinking. I mean, law suits are great in all for keeping a fair balance in society, but don't fuel a fire unless you're directly associated. If they call you again and ask questions, don't answer ANYTHING that you think could be misread or used against the park.

If they start asking questions, and won't leave you alone, just keep repeating:

"All of the rides and attractions at Paramount's Kings Island are safe forms of entertainment so long as the patron reads and follows the Fun & Safety Guides located at the entrance to each ride."

That is of course if you are put in a position in which you HAVE to answer questions. Of course, the best thing you can do (which is what I 100% recommend) is to direct them here, where they can contact an offical park spokesperson, although I imagine that Jeff, Maureen, or whoever they talk to, would direct them towards one of their representing attorneys.

Let's hope that this is nothing, but prepare for the worst. Although even in a worst case scenario, what you say would likely have a very minimal impact on whatever happens, I feel as though as fans of the park we have a responsibility to be supporters of the industry, rather than reports of it.

What I don't understand, they got my name from PKI...Would would PKI Give this imformation out? I'm tempted to call PKI tomorrow and ask if they know anything about it. It just wild, I wonder if it's related to me working at Vortex in 2001 or not. But I don't feel PKI should have given my information out. I'm a little mad about that.

I think this is a list of cases to do with PKI.click here

IF you think this "All of the rides and attractions are safe forms of entertainment so long as the patron reads and follows the Fun & Safety Guides located at the entrance to each ride." you are incorrect because I have been injured on a ride, but it was not at PKI. I am now paying for not doing anything about it years ago.

I would also recommend giving PKI this lady's name and number so they can deal with her however they want. I'm not sure how they would get your information, but I agree that it's best to direct this issue to PKI and let them handle it. If it were a marketing research firm of some sort (there are several around here), it would be different.

Update:

Okay so I called PKI this morning, and I dialed the extention for the rides department. A lady answered operations, so I told her who I was and what was going on. She put me on hold and she told me that I needed to call the lady back. So I called the lady back. It seems that she contacted all of the 2001 Vortex crew to speak to them. She told me what was going on. Aparently someone banged their face on the OTSR really hard, and said her face went numb from this. It happened back in 2001. She told me as well that this is standered practice when somethign like this happens, they contact the ride ops who wokred on the ride in question. So She just asked me some questions on how I felt the ride was. I told her I didn't feel that ride was rough, and I told her I felt that ride was very safe. I also said It's a rollercoaster so it's not going to be smooth as glass. She also asked me if my training was good, fair, or poor. Of course I told her PKI's training is very good. She also asked me if I ever heard anyone complain after getting off the ride, of the ride being rough. I told her no. I also told her, I would ride Vortex many more times in one day then Son of Beast, now that's one rough ride. It also seems this lady has also talked to others form the 2001 Vortex crew. As she told me that some of the others told her they didn't work at Vortex much, as we were paired with Action Theater, and they worked there more. So i'm not sure what is going on.

This was not a prank call. This was legit. She knew that I worked at PKI in 2001, and I was on The Vortex crew. She got my name and # from PKI, PKI gave it to her. When I called PKI they told me to call her back. So someone is filing a lawsuit against PKI because of an issue that happened while this lady was riding on The Vortex. But hell look at how many people tried to sue PKI over FoF. And I think they may have been a few for SOB too. I think the SOB lawsuits was what made PKI make the warning anncounments while in line for SOB.

I love how people try to blame big companies like mcdonalds and PKI with bull**** lawsuits. Like the guy who got struck by lightning in the parking lot, while its tragic, its common sense, dont go near a big metal object such as your car. And that stupid b***h from Mcdonalds who claimed the coffee burned her! Did she not see the words "warning: hot coffee" on the cup? Why would oyu stick a cup of coffee between your legs anyway? Most of those people who file lawsuits are morons who are jsut trying to get easy money.

IF you think this "All of the rides and attractions are safe forms of entertainment so long as the patron reads and follows the Fun & Safety Guides located at the entrance to each ride." you are incorrect because I have been injured on a ride, but it was not at PKI. I am now paying for not doing anything about it years ago.

You take a risk when going to a park though. Its your life, no one is forcing you to ride, if you get hurt and its serious seek medical attention. If the ride is operating, especially in this country, than it has been inspected by the state and local governments, its safe.

I wouldnt call them back anyway.

It's already done and over with now. Like I said I got advice from PKI to call them back. So really it's not a really big deal. I supported PKI 100% with my answers I gave. So this is just like any other lawsuit PKI has had related to a ride.

What I don't understand is, why is this lady just now trying to sue, over something that happened 4 years ago. Doesn't make any since to me.

She probably was sitting at home the other day thinking to herself: "Gee..I wonder how I can make some quick cash? I KNOW! I can sue Kings Island for that roller cosater banging my head around a bit 4 years ago! Now...where'd I put the yellow pages?"

My little brother's trashy friend's dad attempted to sue the park several years after an incident in which he slipped and fell on Wild Thornberry's. He claimed that he had some sort of long-term injury as a result of it. I think that lawsuits are his main source of income. Poeple like that should be in prison.

Anyone know how long anyone has to still try and sue after an injury like this? I think 4 years is too long to go back and sue now. If she where to sue, she should have done it right then and there. Not 4 years later. dry.gif

In Ohio you have 2 years. If you get your case filed before the 2 years it can go on for years. If you wait past 2 years you can do nothing.

I think if someone does get injured for real they should be compensated for it. If you have kids, house payment and car payment, and injury can cause a ton of problems for you.

What I don't understand is, why is this lady just now trying to sue, over something that happened 4 years ago. Doesn't make any since to me.

It's amazing how long these things take sometime...first some sleazy lawyer has to comb through medical records to find potential cases, then contact the "victims" and talk them into filing a suit, then submit all the filings, etc. It takes on average about three years from event to court date in most civil suits. (Mainly because the courts are so crowded with BS like this...)

I worked for a major hotel company, and there were always a bunch of lawsuits going on. Some were really stupid things...some may have had a little more merit. I had to give a deposition in a suit four years after it occurred!

In most cases, the individual probably never would think about suing if they weren't approached by some ambulance chasing attorney trying to score a quick buck off a major corporation. (What was Shakespeare's quote about lawyers? wink.gif )

By and large, I don't agree with George W. on a lot of things...however, I agree with him that frivolous lawsuits are a major problem in this country, and something needs to be done about tort reform...

Joel

I doubt that the lady will have much merit in this case. Amazing how The Vortex is still one of the most popular rides in the park... smile.gif

As for that Shakespeare quote, it was this one (courtesy of Google)

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers

And that stupid b***h from Mcdonalds who claimed the coffee burned her! Did she not see the words "warning: hot coffee" on the cup? Why would oyu stick a cup of coffee between your legs anyway?

just like those two girls trying to sue Mickey D's because they became obease because they ate MD every day. NOW that is a stupid law suit.

http://www.stellaawards.com/2003format.html

Shawn Perkins of Laurel, Ind. Perkins was hit by lightning in the parking lot Paramount's Kings Island amusement park in Mason, Ohio. A classic "act of God", right? No, says Perkins' lawyer. "That would be a lot of people's knee-jerk reaction in these types of situations." The lawyer has filed suit against the amusement park asking unspecified damages, arguing the park should have "warned" people not to be outside during a thunderstorm.

Full news story: http://www.cincypost.com/2003/06/17/suit061703.html

http://www.stellaawards.com/2003format.html

Shawn Perkins of Laurel, Ind. Perkins was hit by lightning in the parking lot Paramount's Kings Island amusement park in Mason, Ohio. A classic "act of God", right? No, says Perkins' lawyer. "That would be a lot of people's knee-jerk reaction in these types of situations." The lawyer has filed suit against the amusement park asking unspecified damages, arguing the park should have "warned" people not to be outside during a thunderstorm.

Full news story: http://www.cincypost.com/2003/06/17/suit061703.html

People sue for anything these days. Like the hot coffee deal with McDonalds.