Inverted Wood Coaster

robintodd

My wife gratuated from George Washington University with her Masters last Sunday and I noticed an article in one of the GWU newspapers that caught my interest. It seems a former graduate has designed and built a model of an Inverted Wood Coaster. He is currently trying to find a park that would be willing to build it. Gee, another first for a wooden coaster, wonder what park would be most fitting for this radical new idea?? wink.gif

Call me Mr. Excitement Killer, but I think this one is a little far fetched. The idea of a massive wood track hanging in mid air as some type of coaster train also hangs from it seems a little impossible. I am affraid that with the weight and vibrations involved the thing would shake apart. unsure.gif

The supports would completely surround you. It would be like just being directly below a track on any wooden roller coaster....sounds really weird...I'm sceptical on how it could be build and be SMOOTH!

Yea, if you think Vekoma has the SLC head banger, my lord, a wooden invert could possibly kill someone. Not to mention I see the idea a impossible, unless they did it like SOB, with all steel inversions and steel supports but just the actually track is wooden. Still I think that this is impossible and I would have to see this article for myself, but I won't say for sure that it is completely impossible because I have seen some crazy things in my life.

I sincerely doubt that such a thing is possible. You're going to have to support all that wood somehow, and wood is nowhere near as strong as welded steel would be. Plus, it would require special rails and probably special trains as well, so it would be quite expensive.

I don't even know why you would want a wooden invert....idk...to me it just sounds pointless. What would you ride, a wooden invert, or a steel invert like Raptor....I would choose Raptor, or any other steel invert.

Call me Mr. Excitement Killer, but I think this one is a little far fetched. The idea of a massive wood track hanging in mid air as some type of coaster train also hangs from it seems a little impossible. I am affraid that with the weight and vibrations involved the thing would shake apart. unsure.gif

agreed, i didn't think it was possible.

Like CombatStupendous said, the whole point of inverts are for the inversions. Other than a loop, what else could be done with a wooden invert? I surely don't see the feasability of a Cobra Roll, a Bat Wing, a Corkscrew, an Immelman or Diving Loop. Besides, making a working model and working one out with a computer program that can define the G Forces is two totally different things. No park is going to listen to their idea. They would need to work for a roller coaster desinging company first. They had better have a computer program proving that their idea would be within the G Force Limitations, not to mention stress on the track itself.