Italian Job in the Enquirer Again

I know the guy who wrote the article, that happened to him when tried to go last sunday. He was unable to get on, there were A LOT of frustrated and dissapointed people, but I agree with Seibert, It was a good idea to do that incase they had to close down the ride.

Mr David Shaw (gold passholder) that was quoted as saying:

"This is silly. It's the only ride I came here to ride,"

really needs to grow the hell up. I seriously considered not getting a gold pass this year simply because of the ass holes that make up a large portion of that group. They think they are "special" and "god-given" members of the park or something? I remember on sneak preview weekend this year, while I was in line to get my pass processed, they were asking everyone (even people renewing passes) to fill out a paper...some people went CRAZY because they had to fill out a couple blanks. My God...These people are nuts. They really need to see that the world doesn't revolve around them.

I know the guy who wrote the article, that happened to him when tried to go last sunday. He was unable to get on, there were A LOT of frustrated and dissapointed people, but I agree with Seibert, It was a good idea to do that incase they had to close down the ride.

So you know John Kiesewetter? Where from?

My point being, he is a pretty well known member of the media, and if he wanted to ride it this past Sunday, something tells me he would have been able to.

Off to the park.......

Reclaimer - I agree with you about that guy. I think PKI is smart to do this. Otherwise they'd have tons of people complaining that they spent 5 or 6 hours standing in line and never got to ride it, and how they could have been riding other rides instead, etc.

Not to slam anyone's opinions here, but I think that if the system in place excludes many from riding the ride that Mr. Seibert(a man who I have alot of respect for and find to be a very good and very skilled person)has promoted to be open, than I think it needs to be done away with. It was understandable during the technical rehearsal period to do this, but if the ride is infact open, than this should not be neccesary. As for you wondering why someone would be ****ed at not getting to ride thanks to this system, I think it's somewhat wrong of you to judge them. Should they be annoyed that they couldn't ride for a ridiculous reason? I think they should be. The fact that I've heard so little of the ride is actually working is further annoying. Just like many of you slam people when they get ****ed that PKI doesn't take care of Tomb Raider or any other effects, and find it wrong that they be ****ed at the park. In reality, I think they should be ****ed at the park. Sure, there are plenty of excuses why things aren't working, but if you're going to charge people the admission they charge, everything should work, and if it doesn't, than the park isn't doing its job. I think that this Italian Job reservation system is really pretty stupid if it excludes some guests from not riding at all. Come on PKI, if this ride is done as you say it is, get it open , and let people on. For all of you in favor of the ride reservation system, as well as not holding the park accountable for Tomb Raider's effects being near completely gone, I'm not slamming your opinion so don't slam mine. I don't hate PKI for these faults, I just would like to see them fix them for both the passholders and the general admissions persons, and I also think everyone should be allowed to be angry at the park if they are doing something wrong without getting bashed on a PKI fan site because they can come back, because really, they shouldn't have to if they want to ride a ride PKI says is open now. With that said, IJST rocks and I can't wait to get up there in a couple of weeks and see the finished product.

EDIT: Just read the article, and Seibert mentioned that it was still in technical rehearsal mode. I could've sworn it was supposed to be offically open. Can anyone clarify this?

Knowing how often the ride broke down last Saturday, I think it's a good idea to exclusively do ride reservations. Having to wait half and hour (or less) plus a breakdown can be hard, what about those having to physically stand in line for hours?

Those with common sense will head for this thing first. If the complaining gold passholders missed their rides that day, the shouldn't forget they can always come back another day for free,

Hate to break it to some of you but this type of Reservation system is being tested this year on IJ for a reason. PKI has been looking at several different "fast pass" type programs for the last couple years. They are testing to see what works best. Orginally PKD was the ginne pigs. If you remember back the year Hypersonic opened, they tried a fast pass system through the exit. It failed worst then one could imagine so they then started at PKI. Which is when the Gold Pass walk on lanes happened. The first year of that the tested it with week day crowds. PKI felt that had it will tested to try it on a larger scale which was why the switched to a weekend thing. Now they are exploring other possibilities. Within the next couple years you will see a more permanent fast pass system for everyone to use.

Just as a reminder or a FYI for those who don't know. Jeff Seibert didn't make this decision, he just gets the word out on whats going on.

Now if I had to come up with a idea, I'm a fan of Cedar Point style of doing things. Say the park closes at 10 and the line for Top Thrill Dragster is 2 hours. They will close the line at 9 so they won't have to stay there all night and cycle all the people to run to the ride right before close.

I know the guy who wrote the article, that happened to him when  tried to go last sunday. He was unable to get on, there were A LOT of frustrated and dissapointed people, but I agree with Seibert, It was a good idea to do that incase they had to close down the ride.

So you know John Kiesewetter? Where from?

My point being, he is a pretty well known member of the media, and if he wanted to ride it this past Sunday, something tells me he would have been able to.

Off to the park.......

John's son and I were in Boy Scouts together and we are pretty good friends, John and my dad are close. John is a great guy! Last sunday he was there with hsi two sons and some of their friends. He doesnt usually write reviews about things like Kings Island, he used to be the Enquirer's head T.V. critict.

IMO this is a bad idea. What if you do not get to the park early in the day? You don't ride? What happens when weather shuts the ride down- is your reservation lost?

I often times will go to the park later in the evening, or bring some friends for the starlight passes, but if I don't have the chance of riding IJ, there is a less chance that I would take the effort of going to the park (I live in Erie, PA).

There just seems to be many holes with this system- many more questions need to be asked/ answered.

Reclaimer said:

really needs to grow the hell up. I seriously considered not getting a gold pass this year simply because of the ass holes that make up a large portion of that group. They think they are "special" and "god-given" members of the park or something?

Well some people did pay extra money to be treated different, and according to PKI, they are treated different because they did pay.

IMO this is a bad idea. What if you do not get to the park early in the day? You don't ride? What happens when weather shuts the ride down- is your reservation lost?

I often times will go to the park later in the evening, or bring some friends for the starlight passes, but if I don't have the chance of riding IJ, there is a less chance that I would take the effort of going to the park (I live in Erie, PA)

I agree 100%. A lot of days I won't even make it to the park until 6PM, simply because I've worked through the day. If they are going to continually have this ride system in place, does that mean I'm never going to ride? Its a little unfair, to be honest. Its fine if they want to have a fast pass system, but at least at all the other parks the line is opened up for a stand by line also. There was a lady, not someone who works on IJ, that was standing outside the line last Sunday. She informed me that they most likely will be doing this all summer. GUess the Enquirer article kinda confirmed that. Her response was they wanted to keep the line down and not have people waiting 2 hours for it......perhaps they'll add a ride that actually has some capacity next time. I'm not knocking the ride, its fun and I do like it, but right now the system doesn't seem to be too efficient. Hopefully they'll get the kinks worked out soon enough, lord knows the ride has been down enough this week.

- Todd

It is a good idea because if you actually took the time to read the article you would know why. They are issuing the passes because they do not want to create 2 - 3 hour lines when there is a chance of the ride breaking down. The ride is new and the management is still trying to get in the swing of things with regular operation of the ride. They dont want people waiting two hours then having to break down and increasing that wait, by issuing the passes they are creating shorter lines so that in case of a breakdown they wont have people sitting in a que all day waiting for the ride to come back up. This system isnt going to be used all year, just untill KI's Italian Job crew gets into the swing of things. Jeff Seibert even stated they wont be doing this all the time. It is only temporary, all you had to do was read. You complain about horrible capacity but did you see the crew working this weekend? Everytime a train came through the billboard another train left the station, they are doing a fantastic job.

The ride was closed down twice yesterday for long periods of time, once in the early afternoon and once in the evening. So I guess if that was the idea of having tickets, in case the ride closes down so they can cycle the empty trains, then I guess mission accomplished. I didn't think the ticket reservations were still going on, but when we saw the unbearably long ticket line we called it a no-go. I think Brown pretty much summed up my opinion on the tickets.

You complain about horrible capacity but did you see the crew working this weekend? Everytime a train came through the billboard another train left the station, they are doing a fantastic job.

Thanks for the comment,

Its nice to know that someone notices how hard we are working.

Your welcome, I hate it when guests think they know how everything should run when something isnt going there way. The ride is brand new and the first of its kind and the IJST crew is doing a fantastic job of operating it. Yesterday Beast was closed down and I was out guest relating and some lady came up to me and demanded to speak to my manager and supervisor because according to her "whoever the f**k is running this s****y park is doing an awful job, and I want to see your darn mannager!'" I told her they were doing the best job they could and that she had no idea of the circumstances and that the park employees were doing there best. She still continued to argue and curse and scream at me untill I threatened to call security. Does this lady know how to run a park? No, not at all. Do 90% of the guests at KI know how to run the park? No. I dont know everything about the park but what I can say is that the powers that be in charge of the park are doing the best darn job they can to run the park and it is no easy task, so quit complaining.

It is a good idea because if you actually took the time to read the article you would know why. They are issuing the passes because they do not want to create 2 - 3 hour lines when there is a chance of the ride breaking down. The ride is new and the management is still trying to get in the swing of things with regular operation of the ride. They dont want people waiting two hours then having to break down and increasing that wait, by issuing the passes they are creating shorter lines so that in case of a breakdown they wont have people sitting in a que all day waiting for the ride to come back up. This system isnt going to be used all year, just untill KI's Italian Job crew gets into the swing of things. Jeff Seibert even stated they wont be doing this all the time. It is only temporary, all you had to do was read. You complain about horrible capacity but did you see the crew working this weekend? Everytime a train came through the billboard another train left the station, they are doing a fantastic job.

I did take the time to read the article, thanks. For whats its worth, other people from around the Park have stated that the reservation system could be in place all summer. Doesn't matter. My point, since when have they cared about a 2 hour line for a ride that breaks down frequently? I remember many many times standing in line for Tomb Raider, only to have it shut down. Personally, if a guest wants to wait in line for 4 hours to attempt to ride an attraction then they should have that option. The park has signs up stating that the ride is still in "technical rehearsal" and that downtime should be expected, thats their warning right there. And I wasn't knocking the IJ crew in anyway, in fact, I've been very very impressed with their efficiency. Even still, doesn't change the fact that the ride doesn't have that great of capacity. But yeah, kudos to the IJ crew for getting the trains out very very fast!

- Todd

You say "other people" say it could be in effect all summer. "Other people" is not a good source, I think you can pretty much trust what Jeff Seibert is telling you, he knows what hes talking about, the ride op handing out the tickets dont always know the whole story.

I believe that the "other people" are reputable full-time employees of the park. Due to the nature of this forum, it is un-necessary to mention their names.

Also too, Jeff Seibert is a very smart individual. However not everything that comes out of his mouth is golden. He is the Marketing Director for an amusement park. His job is to promote the park in every aspect possible, and he would not say anything negligent of the sort.

^All I'm saying is, is that you cant believe everything you hear, did I say Jeff Seiberts word was Golden? No! All I said was is that you can probably trust his opinion on the matter more than anyone elses and that the park is doing the best job it can and making good decisions.

In the great scheme of things, Jeff Seibert "opinion" doesn't matter. What the Full Timers in the OPs department have a greater say of what is going on, and what is going to happen to the rides, then the person who just tells the people what they want to hear.

What it really boils down to is this, Jeff Seibert says, what Jeff Seibert is told.

You complain about horrible capacity but did you see the crew working this weekend? Everytime a train came through the billboard another train left the station, they are doing a fantastic job.

Thanks for the comment,

Its nice to know that someone notices how hard we are working.

Your welcome, I hate it when guests think they know how everything should run when something isnt going there way. The ride is brand new and the first of its kind and the IJST crew is doing a fantastic job of operating it. Yesterday Beast was closed down and I was out guest relating and some lady came up to me and demanded to speak to my manager and supervisor because according to her "whoever the f**k is running this s****y park is doing an awful job, and I want to see your darn mannager!'" I told her they were doing the best job they could and that she had no idea of the circumstances and that the park employees were doing there best. She still continued to argue and curse and scream at me untill I threatened to call security. Does this lady know how to run a park? No, not at all. Do 90% of the guests at KI know how to run the park? No. I dont know everything about the park but what I can say is that the powers that be in charge of the park are doing the best darn job they can to run the park and it is no easy task, so quit complaining.

Although the guest experience that you are talking about is definitely on the unnecessary side of the spectrum, I have no choice but to sypmathize with the position of a lot of the guests in the park. I don't think it's too much to ask a guest who more than likely, drove long and far to get to the park, paid a lot of money to get into the park, and is likely spending even more money inside the park to expect a certain degree of performance out of the park in exchange. I don't think it's too much to ask that nearly all of the rides be in safe working conditions, the employees look professional and act the same, and the general look and feel of the park to be above par.

Before you attack me for this, let me let you know that as a frequenter of the park, I really don't care what's running and what's not. I mean now that things are in full gear, I'd have to say that 50% of the reason I go to the park is to do work for PKIC, while 40% is to see the many employee-friends that I have made over the past few years, while only 10% is to ride the rides and enjoy the attractions. Of course, I am by far the exception rather than the rule.

On the other hand, do you want my stance on guests that lash out at employees? I don't see why PKI should have to do business with them. If a person really gets so worked up that they have to raise their voice or cuss at an employee, they really have no place at a family park.

I suppose when it comes down to it, there is a double-sided obligation. The park must realize that their patrons pay a lot of money to enjoy the rides and attractions and should keep them clean, safe, and in working order. At the same time, guests must realize that these things are mechanical, and mechanical things break from time to time, especially if it's new.

Aren't we all better people now?

Ryan

What most people do not realize is that the reservation system is meant to help guests more than hurt them.

Lets try it this way,

Lets say we open the line at IJST to everyone, we have a 3-4 hour line. You get to the very front of the line and something happens to the ride. You wait around hoping that the ride starts running again, lets say 15-25 mins. The operators then tell you that the ride might not open up for the rest of the day.

Ok what just happened, you just wasted potentially 4.5 hours waiting in line for a ride that you will not get to ride. Think of how many other rides you could have gotten on in that 4.5 hours. Had the "ride reservation" system been in place the line would have been controlled, no more than 30 mins long. You would have been able to ride whatever you wanted while waiting for your reservation time to come up, and then only waited in line for 30 mins or so had the same thing happened.

--

Don't get me wrong, I think that if someone wants to wait 4 hours to ride and have to possibility of not riding at all then that is their call, but they shouldn't get mad at the ride ops because it was their decision to wait for the 4 hours.

But you just have to look at it from the flip side that all the park is doing is trying to make the day as enjoyable as possible for all of the guests.

even if the reservation tickets didn't occur, i highly doubt IJ:ST would have a 3-4 hour line. with three trains and at least a launch every minute or so, the line decreases really quick. i can remember when they actually ran out of tickets, and they just let everyone on the ride at 6. we only waited in line for less than a half-hour (and we were under the covered line with three rows filled).

i can see when the ride would have more than an hour long wait if only 1 or 2 of the trains were running. this past weekend, only one train was operational. even though these tickets are a good idea, forcing everyone to have a ticket is unfair. i was expecting the tickets to be for gold pass members, like they did with walk-on weekends last year.

Lets say we open the line at IJST to everyone, we have a 3-4 hour line. You get to the very front of the line and something happens to the ride. You wait around hoping that the ride starts running again, lets say 15-25 mins. The operators then tell you that the ride might not open up for the rest of the day.

Not that I disagree with what you said, but, if your reservation is for 12pm, but the ride is not fixed/ operating until 4pm does that mean you have lost your reservation for the day? This scenario could happen and even though you had: entered the park early & had a reservation, have been excited all day for 12pm, and the ride has finally been fixed, there is absolutly no way you can get on it on this particular day due to the reservation system.

I would rather make my own choice to stand in line for 4+ hours than to have someone make it for me. I have waited for other rides like : Beast, SoB, FoF, TTD, and MF, and I really didn't care about the wait, just the fact that I was able to get on and enjoy the experiance.