Top Gun Re-theme

CoasterKrazy

Earlier on in the season, someone had mentioned that a season pass newsletter hinted that Top Gun would be receiving a "Hollywood makeover." Can anyone confirm that this was actually circulated by the park? Obviously, Top Gun has yet to have any visible TLC, so I am a little weary about this rumor, no matter how much I may want it to be true. sad.gif

Of course, I'm still waiting for the lighting on Tomb Raider to be fixed, but so much for that... dry.gif

You are correct. It was in the park issued newsletter. But as you can tell, Top Gun still looks bad. Almost makes you think they skipped re-theming it since it might be the ride leaving? It does make you think!

From Newsletter #1

As the 2005 season quickly approaches, crews are working hard to put the final touches on the park as well as the many new additions. In coming weeks, popular attractions like Top Gun, Face/Off, and the Eiffel Tower will experience a Hollywood makeover and the new multi-million dollar fast track coaster experience, the ITALIAN JOB: Stunt Track will also race towards completion. Four new dining options have also been added to PKI lineup. These exciting new additions include a new Chic-Fil-A, located in our kid's area, serving a variety of chicken sandwiches and crispy waffle fries. Graeter's Ice Cream settles in its newest location on International Street serving a variety of flavors of remium hand-dipped ice cream, adding yet another Queen City favorite to the park. Also, the all new Happy Days Diner will give a cool spot to hang with your gang and enjoy a unique dining experience complete with entertainment surrounded by memorabilia and characters from the classic television series.

Buying floorless trains would be a complete waste. It would be like riding Raptor with no inversions...Boring. It would not be a good return on investment either seeing how they just replaced a train within the last few seasons.

Buying floorless trains would be a complete waste. It would be like riding Raptor with no inversions...Boring. It would not be a good return on investment either seeing how they just replaced a train within the last few seasons.

I can understand your thinking, You ride coasters all the time.

And another floorless would be boring to you. I don't ride Coasters all the time,

maybe 2 or 3 times a year. how about if you made it floorless and ran the train backwards like The Racer? or change the train so you laid flat in stead of siting

like the cockpit of a F16 Falcon.

I'm kind of torn on the retrofit floorless trains on the Arrow Suspendeds...

From the reviews I've read, adding the floorless trains on the Vampire at Chessington really improved it. But, what I've never been able to figure out is whether the floorless trains keep the "swing" that is the Arrow suspended's hallmark, or whether they "hug" the track like a suspended inverted (either a B&M or Vekoma SLC). If they don't swing like the standard Arrow suspended cars, then I agree...they don't sound that great.

However, my feeling is that the "Hollywood Makeover" briefly mentioned is nothing more than a paint job, or at most a restoration of some of the existing themeing. If it were anything more, it would be hyped a lot more than it has been. Basically, my rule of thumb since TR:TR and CDBB has been to expect about half of what the marketing promises, since things tend to be hyped way more than they actually deliver...

Joel

Before Arrow went under, they offered floorless trains for their suspended coasters. They consisted of a seat configuration similar to the trains used on Vekoma Giant Inverted Boomerangs, however I believe the seats alternated, two and then three seats across. I want to say that they had also eliminated the need for the overhead "catch-basin" that is found on current suspended coaster trains. How these would have compared to "first generation" trains, I do not know.

After looking at Vampire pictures from RCDB it is obvious that the Vekoma floorless trains still swing from side to side, and are not fixed in one position, but I don't think there is any way to tell how much the swinging action differs between the two types of trains.

just went to the park today. Are there any "credible" rumors regarding Top Gun. The whole place looks terrible, the paint is shot, the track is rusting, and even the ride today was a little "iffy." Is this area going to get knocked down to create a new entrance to the Indoor Water Park/Resort?

Also today i saw no traces of the antique cars.. could they be gone? IJST: WAY TOO SHORT! I think that it is a rule that all new attractions need to be <1 minute. and SOB....... worst roller coaster ever..... to whom may I forward the doctor bill to?

Also today i saw no traces of the antique cars.. could they be gone?  IJST: WAY TOO SHORT!  I think that it is a rule that all new attractions need to be <1 minute.  and SOB....... worst roller coaster ever..... to whom may I forward the doctor bill to?

user posted image

Keep the doctor bill and next time, take a look at the track. It's wooden. It's also a fricken HUGE wooden coaster. And, let's see...You've been a member of this site since March 28, you'd figure that would be plenty of time to read the remarks regarding the coaster. People REALLY need to stop complaining.

If you don't like the park, go to Cedar Point, Kings Dominion, Carowinds, Busch, Disneyworld, IOA, I don't care.

You act like you've never been to the park with your comments, yet you feel the need to mention the antique cars are missing from their "storage area"...like you've been to the park plenty this season.

In conclusion:

Save your doctor bill, go see a shrink, and put both of those towards your deductible.

Have a great day, and thanks for visiting Paramount's Kings Island!

Also today i saw no traces of the antique cars.. could they be gone?  IJST: WAY TOO SHORT!  I think that it is a rule that all new attractions need to be <1 minute.  and SOB....... worst roller coaster ever..... to whom may I forward the doctor bill to?

user posted image

Keep the doctor bill and next time, take a look at the track. It's wooden. It's also a fricken HUGE wooden coaster. And, let's see...You've been a member of this site since March 28, you'd figure that would be plenty of time to read the remarks regarding the coaster. People REALLY need to stop complaining.

If you don't like the park, go to Cedar Point, Kings Dominion, Carowinds, Busch, Disneyworld, IOA, I don't care.

You act like you've never been to the park with your comments, yet you feel the need to mention the antique cars are missing from their "storage area"...like you've been to the park plenty this season.

In conclusion:

Save your doctor bill, go see a shrink, and put both of those towards your deductible.

Have a great day, and thanks for visiting Paramount's Kings Island!

jerry.gifjerry.gifjerry.gif

Actually, you're quite welcome to an opinion...but when you're beating a dead horse, it starts to get annoying. Complaining that SOB is rough has been an argument since day one. Some people think it is rough as hell, some people love it the ride and don't consider it too bad. Thing is, you knew what you were getting in to. Joking or not, your comment on who to send the doctor bill to is the whiniest thing I've heard on here in awhile. You don't happen to own a Gold Pass, do you?

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, you're quite welcome to an opinion...but when you're beating a dead horse, it starts to get annoying.  Complaining that SOB is rough has been an argument since day one.  Some people think it is rough as hell, some people love it the ride and don't consider it too bad.  Thing is, you knew what you were getting in to.  Joking or not, your comment on who to send the doctor bill to is the whiniest thing I've heard on here in awhile.  You don't happen to own a Gold Pass, do you?

yeah. seriously. stop your whining and get over it.

YOU saw the coaster

YOU read the stats

YOU got in line

YOU decided to get on the ride

"to whom may i send the doctor bill"

KEEP IT FOR YOURSELF BUCKO. YOU make the choice, YOU hurt, YOU pay the bill.

No one forced you to get on that coaster. You decided yourself. and if someone talked you into it, kick their censored.gif and bill them but don't get on here and whine about it. laugh.gif

i too am fed up with people complaining about what they DON'T like about PKI, and yet, for some reason, they keep comin back... I guess they didn't find enough to complain about the first time.

keep up with the times buddy cuz the times ain't gonna wait for you. Either keep up with the happenin's at PKI or else find a new hobby besides complaining about something that is old news.

jerry.gifjerry.gif

And I know for a fact that on the fine print on the back of the Gold Pass, it states something along the lines of: Holder assumes all risk of personal injury.

LoL

there ya go buddy. there's the answer to whom you should bill... stick it in an envelope, stamp it, and waste money to send it to yourself wink.gif

and the original crux of my message was- is there any credible rumors out there regarding Top Gun.... looks a bit run down- almost like they intend to do something to or with it. No one bothered to answer this question.

The doctor comment was made in "humor." Guess no one on this post can take a joke. I'll learn better next time (take a pill....). Never thought such a benign comment would start such a trail of responses wacko.gif

^I'd agree with you top gun has gone to hell. The planes in the que that have been there forever are even gone. And I'm not very observant at all. I think AE, FOF, and TR:TR all look great, I don't notice much but I did notice that Top Gun was bad. I don't know what they plan to do with it, I for one would hate to see it go, I love the ride and from what I hear along with Big Bad Wolf and Vortex its one of the best suspended coasters around. I'd hate to see it go, I think it's a fun short ride, but from the looks of it it may only have a year or 2 left in it's life at PKI. If PKI gets rid of it I hope someone else would buy it and not just leave it sitting around like King Cobra.

Top Gun is a heck of a fun ride.... especially, I think in the back cars. I too would hate to see it go... but it sure does NOT look too good. The newsletters before the opening of the season said it was to get a "Hollywood Makeover"- and it seems like they started and stopped. That was all in about the time that Great Lakes announced the new resort.... and I wonder if the part of the old camp ground you see from the lift hill is where the entrance is going to be... signifying the end of Top Gun as we know it.... but then again, maybe the Hollywood Makeover is that they intend to move it to another location (possible, but not likely).