SOB really that bad?

gburn07

Alright, yesterday was only my second time at PKI. I got pretty much all the rides done that i wanted (except Delirium) sad.gif . Then it was time for the dreaded SOB that i constantly heard complaints about. It was closed the first time i was at the park. I can say i was impressed by the ride. Sure it wasn't the smoothest ride but i found other higher ranked woodies like the Thunderbolt at Kennywood and the Wildcat at Hershey to b more rough than this one. Maybe the speed and intensitiy overruled the pain i always heard about. Is there ne one that feels the same bout me on SOB or did i walk into the wrong PKI tongue.gif

I also have to agree. I do not believe SOB is as bad as what most people make it out to be. As long as you don't sit over the wheels, you should get a pretty good ride. I rode once in 2-1 and yes that was a very bad ride. So I normally only ride in the middle of a car, or in 1-1 or 6-3 as those wheel seats or not that bad.

Just like Vortex I don't find Vortex rough either. I guess the roughness on a ride is just everyone's opinion. But also just think about it, anyone thinking they can get on a rollercoaster like SOB and think it's going to be smooth as glass, is crazy anyway. A 218 foot, 78 MPH wooden rollercoaster is not going to be B & M smooth. Besides isn't a coaster suspose to be a little rough?

SOB is not rough at all compared to most large wooden coasters. For example Mean Streak will cause internal organ damage because it is outta control. The Texas Giant has to be the absolute roughest coaster I have ever ridden. SOB is fast and pulls a lot of G's thats what really gives it that rough feeling.

yea I also find no problem with sob i can ride it all day and not hurt, but my girlfriend on the other hand gets a "head ache" or "her knee hurts." I also think it has to deal with the size of the rider, I am 6'3 200 lbs with a wide body lay out and fit nice and snug in the cars, unlike my girlfriend who is 5 foot something and only 110 and the restraints when pushed all the way done dont even hit her thighs, so maybe this has something to do idk?

Son of Beast isn't rough. The Beast is ten times worse in my opinion; I pulled muscles in my neck and shoulder when I rode it in 2002. I still ride it, but I'm very wary when going into the double helix finale.

I've ridden about everywhere on Son of Beast, and it's never really bothered me. I heard from a friend who's 6'4" that it's a lot rougher for taller people; I'm 5'6", and it doesn't bother me at all, so who knows?

While I think SOB isn't the smoothest wodden coaster I've ridden, I agree that it's not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. Like any wooden coaster, the ride can vary dramatically based on lots of things like temperature, moisture, weight of the train, etc...

I've had very good rides and very bad rides. More good than bad, in my opinion. I love the speed and power, and since most of the roughness I've experienced is side-to-side (as opposed to the up and down "jackhammer" effect) it doesn't bother me too much. Similar to what everyone else is saying, it all depends on where you sit. 6-2 is my personal favorite, but in any case, never, ever over a wheel.

I think maintenance has done a great job keeping it as smooth as possible. Now if only we could get a different set of trains! Ugh!

I don't know about being the smoothest wooden roller coaster I've ever ridden...but I do think people over-exagerate the roughness of it just b/c they can. It's really only rough for me b/c I barely fit in the train b/c I have a REALLY hard time getting the lap bar over my knees and I feel squished(sp).

• 2 weeks later...

I guess i dont even complain about the trains because i'm only 5-9 and fit in there pretty well. I would easily understand a taller person having problems as my knees barely fit in there while still being comfortable.

SOB is like any human.. it has it's good and bad days.. usually in the morning it's pretty smooth but then later on it's HELL.. i went to the park last week and i mean i ride SOB everytime i go. i can usually handle it. but this time was just HORRIBLE.. i won't give up on the ride.. i still lvoe the layout and all but gosh it was having a bad day.

edit: ok i lied above.. it's not smooth in the morning but it's better than at night. hehe