What happened to the FOF?

geekzapoppin

Let me preface this by saying that it's been a couple of years since I've been able to go to the park, so anyone who has been there recently can feel free to correct me.

When the FOF first opened, I remember being incredibly impressed at the amount of themeing in the queue for the ride. From the outside line with the frequent announcements about "trouble on the base" to the show inside that combined the video with sound and lighting effects, my friends and I marveled in the job that Paramount had done on the attraction. For the first time in many years, it felt like the owners of the park had presented a "Disney-quality" attraction.

The last few times I visited the park, though, I noticed that pretty much the only part of the pre-ride presentation that was in operation was the video, and even that was being displayed on monitors that were in bad need of replacement. Was I just unlucky, or has the attraction truly fallen apart that badly over the years? It's a shame if it has been left to deteriorate, as it really was a wonderful piece of "show" in the park.

Any thoughts?

*EDIT - Oops, can a moderator move this to the appropriate forum. I accidentally posted it in "Polls".

You can tell you have not been to the park in a while because it is like that for all of their themed rides. All themed rides at PKI (except IJST) have gone to hell. PKI just doesn't give a darn about the theme of their rides.

I know on Sneak Preview weekend in April, the outside of the "base" had those messages playing. I remember this, because, as it was my first visit since the off-season, I forgot those messages played. I was kind of freaked out when I heard "Red Alert" haha

The preshow and outside messages have started to pickup again but punk's right-any themed ride at PKI that has come out before 2002 has gone to hell. Adventure Express, Top Gun, FOF, etc.; PKI (along with the other Paramount parks) don't care about any of their old rides. They only like to focus on new things, like IJ:ST.

And, I doubt if anyone can explain this to me, but is there a reason as to why Top Gun has yet to recieve a "Hollywood Make-Over", and why PKI is still forcing us to use those annoying Reservation Tickets for IJ?

Well, from what it looked like yesterday, the used the reservation tickets for half the day, but a little later, it looked as if they were just letting people get in line. I'd say they were just done (out) with reservation tickets for the day, but I didn't see anyone taking any tickets when people entered the queue. Maybe I was just on crack, but this is what I saw yesterday.

I had to use a reservation ticket yesterday...around 1 or 2...whatever time it opened up.

Actually, I was explaining about the IJ ride reservations RingMaster was asking about:

And, I doubt if anyone can explain this to me, but is there a reason as to why Top Gun has yet to recieve a "Hollywood Make-Over", and why PKI is still forcing us to use those annoying Reservation Tickets for IJ?

When I went last year and this year, they were playing the message deally at FoF. I agree though that ALL of the queue line TVs need to be replaced and updated; it would hurt if they cleaned the protective glass things once in a while......

I think PKI would do well, and bring in more people and money, if they cleaned up and maintained the place a little better. Try to compete with customer's vacation dollars. Not just people from Cincinnati or Columbus. I would like people to be thinking about visiting Busch Gardens or Disney or Universal, but decide on PKI instead.

To get there, things like FOF, Top Gun, etc will have to be improved, and the details have to be taken care of.

I guess what upsets me is that the FOF was one of the few things that Paramount did right when they took over the park. KI is still a nice space and has potential if Paramount would just give it some care and upkeep. Heck, the "Walk of Fame" or whatever the area near the Tower is called that has the Paramount stuff in it hasn't been touched since it was created. I enjoyed THE UNTOUCHABLES and THE ADDAMS FAMILY as much as anyone, but they aren't exactly new films.

When I was a kid, our family traveled from WV to spend a couple of days at KI. That would be our entire summer vacation. I can't see even considering that now with what the park has become. The only reason I'm going now is that I live in NKY and at least they still have some nice coasters.

FoF was really cool and unique when it first opened with Outer Limits. I don't know why, but now the theming is just cheesy without the Outer Limits behind it. And yeah, I agree that the theming has gone downhill :-( The ride itself is one of the best in the park, though, so I guess you can't really complain. . . but some cooler theming would make it THAT MUCH more enjoyable.

I definitely think it's odd that theming under Paramount has been very underwhelming (although I heard IJ is well done). I was expected some disney or universal studios quality. Instead we basically just get standard amusement park rides with a logo based on a paramount movie. Even Tomb Raider could really just be any run-of-the-mill adventure ride. . . which is actually good, because the Tomb Raider movies sucked :-)

And yeah, Paramount should take more pride in The Paramount Story. Yes, they have given us classics--Beverly Hills Cop, The Godfather, Indiana Jones. But c'mon--celebrate some of the newer ones. Show some pride for Saving Private Ryan, Braveheart and some anticipation for War of the Worlds!

There are actually only a few things wrong with FoF's theming as of now, one of which nobody but me really noticed anyways. The one most people would notice is the sound in the station as the train is being prepared for launch; that sound that's like a futuristic engine reving up. It has been replaced with something else though, that does play every once in a while. Associates call them the "Voice of Doom anouncements." Creepy recorded spiels that play for the people in the train. ("So, you believe that you are studying us. Then kindly explain why you are the ones trapped in your seats"..."Well now, isn't this a pleasant sight. And what happens when the observer becomes the observered. And the collector becomes, the Specimen"..."We have enjoyed our brief visit to your charming little world, and now, if you're quite ready, it's time for you to visit ours"..."Welcome aboard travellers. We promised you escape from the struggles and hardships of the work-a-day world. And what escape could be more final, than oblivion"..."So, you have accepted our invitation to visit our world..excellent. How precious is the human spirit. How optimistic. How...naive.")

The one that most people don't notice is the background noise they played in the hangar. It kind of sounded like the noise they play in the saucer, except less alien, and more like laboratory experiments going on. Most guests wouldn't even know about this sound because of the preshow playing, so no big loss. There was also this little lazer light that shined out of the front of the saucer onto the far wall of the hangar during parts of the show, but again, this was something that most people never noticed anyway. Other than this Very minor stuff, and the fog I guess, nothing is really wrong with FoF's theming. We have to give the park some credit for fixing some of the lights inside the ride itself so that it does have more of an outer space feel to it.

There are actually only a few things wrong with FoF's theming as of now, one of which nobody but me really noticed anyways. The one most people would notice is the sound in the station as the train is being prepared for launch; that sound that's like a futuristic engine reving up. It has been replaced with something else though, that does play every once in a while. Associates call them the "Voice of Doom anouncements." Creepy recorded spiels that play for the people in the train. ("So, you believe that you are studying us. Then kindly explain why you are the ones trapped in your seats"..."Well now, isn't this a pleasant sight. And what happens when the observer becomes the observered. And the collector becomes, the Specimen"..."We have enjoyed our brief visit to your charming little world, and now, if you're quite ready, it's time for you to visit ours"..."Welcome aboard travellers. We promised you escape from the struggles and hardships of the work-a-day world. And what escape could be more final, than oblivion"..."So, you have accepted our invitation to visit our world..excellent. How precious is the human spirit. How optimistic. How...naive.")

The one that most people don't notice is the background noise they played in the hangar. It kind of sounded like the noise they play in the saucer, except less alien, and more like laboratory experiments going on. Most guests wouldn't even know about this sound because of the preshow playing, so no big loss. There was also this little lazer light that shined out of the front of the saucer onto the far wall of the hangar during parts of the show, but again, this was something that most people never noticed anyway. Other than this Very minor stuff, and the fog I guess, nothing is really wrong with FoF's theming. We have to give the park some credit for fixing some of the lights inside the ride itself so that it does have more of an outer space feel to it.

I credit Jeff for knowing the exact words to the spiels of FOF. He is prob the only one besides me who is a fanatic about FOF and its theme.

As Jeff said, not much is wrong. I wish they would bring back the fog, but I understand why they got rid of it.

We have to give the park some credit for fixing some of the lights inside the ride itself so that it does have more of an outer space feel to it.

Ok...so what does it say about our expectations for PKI doing an respectable job of themeing maintenance, that we're impressed that a corporation that grossed $22.5 BILLION in revenue last year extended themselves to replace a few light bulbs?

I'm seriously not criticizing your post...I think it's very well thought-out and contains good information. That one comment just really made me think...

I think PKI has some great creative minds that handle attraction design and building. And, while I think the park does an excellent job of maintaining the physical operation and safety of the rides (not that they really have a choice...), they'll never be thought of as the "Disney of the mid-west" (or even the Busch Gardens as far as that goes) if they continue to neglect the themeing on all rides older than three or four years.

Joel

I'm afraid of that very same thing, Ben. And the problem with that is, since IJ is a theme-focused ride instead of thrill-focused, if the park lets its theme deteriorate, the ride will be worthless.

Right now, IJ is a great ride. 5 years from now...well, we can only hope for the best.

I'm afraid of that very same thing, Ben. And the problem with that is, since IJ is a theme-focused ride instead of thrill-focused, if the park lets its theme deteriorate, the ride will be worthless.

Right now, IJ is a great ride. 5 years from now...well, we can only hope for the best.

I am a Cedar Point fan, and IJ:ST doesn't really apeal to me because it isn't a Millennium Force or Top Thrill Dragster. wink.gif I love the whole idea of the ride and stuff, but I wouldn't want to wait no long than an hour for it. If IJ:ST loses its themeing the same way FoF did, then I don't think it would be worth even walking into the queue. It's too short as it is, and without themeing, it's an Adventure Express / Beastie.

That's what I was meaning...If the park allows the theming to deteriorate, the ride will drop into obscurity, as much as I hate to say it. I am a themeing and thrill fan..I like either type of ride, and it pains me to see the park neglect the theming on the rides like this.

If they can't handle the theming, give us thrills...One or the other, just don't half-ass it. That's what I say biggrin.gif

Forget themeing, taller and faster is the way to go! smile.gif

You don't need themeing for a ride to be great. Some of the greatest rides aren't even themed to anything. I don't see why someone would prefer Italian Job: Stunt Track to Millennium Force.

They have let FOF go a little bit. I totally agree that PKI needs to take care of it's older themed attractions. FOF is one thing, but Top Gun just looks plain ratty. The ride is pretty good (except for track length), yet they have let the aircraft carrier station, the track, and pretty much everything else there to rot. Same goes for the Paramount Story. I haven't seen a new prop or movie block for years. The place could be really cool if they would just put some effort into it. Adventure Express is still somewhat taken care of, but could be better, especially seeing as it's one of their most ridden rides. PKI has done a lot to better itself over the past few years, and is gaining a reputation as a bonafide theme park, but if they want a bigger share of the market, they will have to hold every food stand, every attraction, every inch of landscape, and everything else in the park to the highest standard possible, and I have trouble believing that a park that led the industry in seasonal attendance last year is doing that to it's full potential. Don't get me wrong, I love PKI. It's one of the best parks out there, but it could be better, and for a menial amount of money spent on some paint, some plants, movie props, and other assorted odds and ends.

I was just at Cedar Point a few days ago and I have to say this. . .

I rode Disaster Transport. Compared to that ride, FoF is the Freakin' Mummy Ride! I have never seen such horrible and pointless theming as CP has at Disaster Transport. And at least with FoF there's a good ride waiting for you at the end. DT was horrrid!

Ben, you're comparing two completly different things here. IJ:ST is meant for families and is not intended to be as thrilling as Millennium Force. Also, on another side note at least IJ:ST can fit riders of decent sizes, MF is ridiculous. My friend who is 6'4" and skinny, cann't fit into MF because of leg room, whereas he can easily fit onto IJ:ST. It's just like SOB, I don't understand why so many new rides are being built for smaller riders when or national demographic as a whole is getting taller and fatter as the years go by. I think it's crazy that some of these rides can't fit people 6'3" or taller or people who sometimes only weight 230 plus. Luckily I'm only 5'11" and 170 so I fit fine.

I also agree with PKIBeast when he says that taller and faster isn't the best route. I enjoy Dragster, but its so short it makes IJ:ST seem really long. And really as far as Dragster's rush, it is great, but in all honesty a nice ride on drop zone gives me close to the same rush, so I'd much have rather a smaller coaster with substance, than a tall coaster with absolutley nothing to it.

I don't see why someone would prefer Italian Job: Stunt Track to Millennium Force.

You don't see it because you happen to prefer Millennium Force, which is perfectly acceptable. Things like Millennium Force...well, you wait in a boring line for up to several hours and then ride a ride just because it's fast and high...that's all right. That's how thrill rides were designed.

Other types of people don't like waiting in a typical queuing area and riding a ride that's just high and fast. Sure, they want it to be all of that, but they want an EXPERIENCE as well. Bigger and faster things come along and the rides that USED to be the biggest and fastest get forgotten along the way. What you remember better are the experiences you have on certain rides. You'll think about Millennium Force in twenty years and you'll remember, "Oh, I waited in line for like, two hours, but I don't remember the ride that well." Whereas other rides have certain memorable qualities...theming. FoF has the UFO you walk into; that's something you're going to remember and think, "Wow, that was pretty cool." Same with the helicopter in IJ:ST.

It's perfectly fine that those aren't the type of rides you enjoy, but surely you can see why others like them?

Flight of Fear isn't really bad. I hear the outside warning things all the time, and the special lighting is always working when I ride. My only problem with the ride is has anyone looked inside the spaceship lately? It's full of writing and people scratching in messages. The only problem is the graffiti all over the place in the saucer, other than that I think the theming is fine.