Drop Zone

gburn07

Alright, being a big fan of Intamin freefalls, Drop Zone is clearly my fav. free fall out of many others that I have been on. There was one thing that felt different from the second generation free falls that they have made though. Despite its longer drop of free falling, the speed barely gets past the Pittfall at Kennywood that has a 30+ less feet of free falling. Drop Zone doesn't seem to get its speed as quickly as the older Pittfall gets its. Has anyone else ever felt the same about DZ and the 2nd generation free falls?

On the stats of both rides, Pittfall is listed with a 229 ft drop with top speed of 65 while DZ is a 264 ft drop with top speed of 67. I do know that DZ has a bigger brake section..but aren't the stats for the drops the actual free fall part?

On the stats of both rides, Pittfall is listed with a 229 ft drop with top speed of 65 while DZ is a 264 ft drop with top speed of 67.

it's very possible that pitfall's website or whatever exagerates the spead a bit.. like FoF.. it's only like 54mph i believe.. but i hear many people/sites say it's 60.. just to brag or whatever.. so the stats could be off.

Well that thing on top of the roof shouldn't be a big worry because its almost like worrying about the tops of buildings in the park. On DZ yes you do see them just like you see the top of the roof for the DZ que, but it should not matter what it looks like.

To the question at hand, it seems there is a difference in where the breaking section is on the giant drop and gyro drop rides. On the giant drops, such as Pit Fall, they seem to have a longer drop portion, with the breaking section closer to the ground. Gyro drops seem to have a shorter drop, with the breaking section earlier in the drop. Both may have relatively close specs, but it's all in the design and execution of the thrill.