Geauga Lake Questions

I'm going to Geauga Lake for the first time in quite a long time next Friday. I had three questions for people that have visited it recently or remember what it is like, because I've forgeten since I last was there.

1. Which rides typically have the longest waits?

2. Are there any rides that maybe don't look that great but shouldn't be missed? (small flats and things of this nature)

3. Any recommendations on where to eat inside the park?

All help is greatly appreciated.

The answer to your question about which rides have long lines is this....None. Geauga Lake's current less than spectacular attendance numbers, combined with a new waterpark and Cedar Fair's ride management, makes for some pretty quick lines. That's not to say that Geauga Lake is a bad park, because it's a great place with some awesome rides. I think that under Six Flags, the park lost quite a few patrons and are just now starting to get them back.

There aren't many super good flats up there, however don't miss what I would consider to be a possibly overlooked gem, and that is the Big Dipper. Of course the big coasters aren't to be missed. The white water rapids ride is pretty bad though. As far as food goes, there aren't any spectacular places to eat. It's all pretty much your run of the mill park food, so anywhere will work.

Most times I've been to Geauga Lake, almost everything was a walk-on, except for X-Flight, which sometimes only runs one train and takes some time to load. Sometimes you can wait up to an hour, depending on the parks crowds. But for the other coasters, the new owners have done a good job with capacity, running two trains on most coasters, including Villain, Dominator, and Thunderhawk. The Raging Wolf Bobs has been retracked, and a second train added. And yes, don't miss the Big Dipper, especially in the front!

Flats and non-coasters: When I'm there, I make an effort to ride the Bel-Air Express Monorail and the Skyscraper, a gyro tower with a panoramic view of the park. There's also the top spin, the Texas Twister, among several flats. Make sure to try the Carousel, which dates back to the 1910s and has a beautiful organ.

For food, can't think of a place that is very outstanding in the park, but there are a couple of sit-down places, including the Beachcomber, which I think has table service. I saw that on some weekends, you can purchase tickets to an all-you-can-eat picnic buffet for around $10 in the new lakeside picnic pavilions.

I seem to be an advocate for Geauga Lake and Cedar Fair - they have put a new attiude into this park, and are trying to earn back the people Six Flags lost. Slowly but surely, I think they'll be back, with $25 general admission and the new, included Wildwater Kingdom water park.

The bumper cars are AWESOME there! Seriously try them out really long ride time and they are alot quicker then youd expect! Youll be able to hit everything more then likley. The Texas Twister is awesome, X flight will have the biggest line so hit that early.

Everything's Walk-On except X-Flight, for which I had to wait 10 minutes sheerly because flyers take forever to load. And contrary to the second post, I think Six Flags gained patrons and then Geauga Lake lost them and now the water park is just starting to bring them back.

Geauga Lake has been under Cedar Fair for two seasons. The drop in attendance was still due to Six Flags' management. CF had control of GL for one month before opening. There's nothing they could have done to bring in more people the first year as advertising budgets had already been decided and not many people were aware that the park had changed hands. If there is a drop in attendance after this season, then you can say it's CF's fault. They are trying to reverse years of bad management and the public's negative opinion of that park.

Like said before, everything is walk-on except maybe X-flight! Dominator seems to have the best capasity out of all the coasters (not to mention it's the best coaster in the park). The Raging Wolf Bobs has received major retracking and is now 6 seconds faster (according to the Akron Beacon Journal) and very smooth. It only has one section yet to be finished and then it will be done after it's 4 years of retracking rolleyes.gif Now, the only thing you should know is if your into water parks, WWK is not to be missed!!! It's awsome (even half done) with a great atmosphere and most of it having HEATED WATER biggrin.gif Geauga Lake is running better than ever under Cedar Fair rule as there's lots of rides being repainted, refurbished, retracked and their fixing up their dining options too. Not to mention the entire park is now clean with some nice landscaping unlike when Sixflags was incharge. Have fun!!!

BTW, the official site has a interactive trip planner with tips for your trip wink.gif

Thanks everyone for your help. About the attendence, did Geauga Lake ever have high attendence? I mean last time I went it was just a small park until the Six Flags take over. Then under Six Flags I don't think they ever got the attendence that they had hoped for, so now under CF it's probably getting the highest attendence it has ever had.

One more question, I know they have the top spin Texas Twister, does this ride soak you like some top spins?

No, the Texas Twister was the first Top Spin ever so water soaking was not around when it was built, sorry sad.gif About the attendance, it dropped 2/3 from what it was in 2003 to what it was in 2004 when Cedar Fair took over (they went from the couple millions to just 700,000 in attendance)! It's really sad to see a park operating better than it ever has and looking it's best, but so little results to show it, it's unfair mad.gif

Well my trip has been postponed to the 4th, but I'm looking foward to it. Thank you all for your input and help. Skippy, I'm actually kind of glad that Texas Twister doesn't soak. I hated the one at Kennywood because it didn't spin that much and all it did was soak me, although if next Thursday is hot I may be wishing that it did soak.