Winterfest is Back!

Delirium13

Well looks like what some people feared is going to happen. This is obviously "Christmasfest" and not "Winterfest", it's not "holiday" it's "Christmas". I'm Christian so it's ok for me but I do understand how other denominations may be upset by this.

thank you, took the words right out of me.

Funny,

I do not recall any religious symbols.

Honestly, why some cannot just enjoy the festivities of an event without criticizing is beyond me. This attitude of "let's suck the fun out of every aspect of life" is ridiculous.

Don't like it? Don't go. But then I expect 99% of the critics will attend.

I for one applaud the park for bringing back a time-honored tradition. They proove once again that they listen to their guests and embrace our desires as patrons. I'll be one of the first to buy my tickets.

This event is geared to families and friends, not to any certain religious group. The idea here is to celebrate good times during the holiday season with those you care about in a wonderful environment. Those of us that have been fortunate to attend a Winterfest in the past will be quick to point out how fun it is. It always brought a smile to peoples faces.

Shaggy

Funny,

I do not recall any religious symbols.

Honestly, why some cannot just enjoy the festivities of an event without criticizing is beyond me. This attitude of "let's suck the fun out of every aspect of life" is ridiculous.

Don't like it? Don't go. But then I expect 99% of the critics will attend.

I for one applaud the park for bringing back a time-honored tradition. They proove once again that they listen to their guests and embrace our desires as patrons. I'll be one of the first to buy my tickets.

This event is geared to families and friends, not to any certain religious group. The idea here is to celebrate good times during the holiday season with those you care about in a wonderful environment. Those of us that have been fortunate to attend a Winterfest in the past will be quick to point out how fun it is. It always brought a smile to peoples faces.

Shaggy

Beat me to it Shaggy........seems like most people in this community can not let the park do anything without being a critic of it. As Shaggy said, don't like it, don't go. One less person in my way.

Hmm, I wonder if the ice rink could crack the fountain's pool base. The ice rink could cause water to leak out of the pool base and possibly out of the pipes during the spring/summer/fall operating days.

It could be worse if they didn't redo the fountain because if they didn't, the fountain's pool base wouldn't be in good shape for this.

I think the pool base will be strong enough to hold the ice rink with people on it because the pool base is only 2 years old. When WinterFest debuted back in 1982, the fountain was 10 years old and WinterFest ran for ten years. That caused the water to leak out of the pool base, making the fountain to turn into a bad shape because the fountain's pool base wasn't strong enough to hold the ice rink with people on it.

I don't think the ice rink should be 2 feet deep, maybe like 2 or 3 inches deep.

We'll see.

They do not actually fill the fountains and freeze them. The ice rink is created by inserting platforms on scaffolding within the fountain base. From there, the ice rink is created on those platforms with the ice only being a few inches thick.

In short, the ice rink is literally raised above the base of the fountain pool.

Shaggy

They will prbably be using that synthetic plastic for ice skating, so that no water is involved and so that it stays frozen during the warmer days in early December. In any event, I am glad they are bringing it back! I for one will also be attending. I noticed a couple weeks ago that they had also updated the sound system on International Street. I hope that Winterfest becomes a tradition again like FearFest has become. Hopefully, they will continue to let it grow over the years. Yes, the price may be a little steep, but they have to recover some of the large capital that they are spending on this project. They are building/making everything for this season, so I`m sure the lights, shows, floats and such are not the cheapest. At least now when the park closes the last weekend in October, we will be able to visit and ride a couple of classic rides and experience the park again under the twinkling lights.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest faceoff

I am looking forward to winterfest. I am not a fan of cold weather,but i

am at Kings Island-which will be great. Maybe if i am lucky,the Flight of Fear

will be open also. My christmas wish is for a mild december and more rides

will be open. I will go now and write my letter to santa now.

Tom

• 1 month later...

Screamingnight

Ahh yes nothing say fun and holiday spirit like ridding a big fast roller coaster in the middle of winter. Yeah that makes me feel all warm and tingley inside. Who would need a cup of hot chocolate after that? Poor it on me would be much better.

Not to mention you wouldnt be able to see the rest of Winterfest because the snot from your nose would travel up your face and freeze your eyelids shut.

Some people are just plain stupid..... jerry.gif

Well, they could have had Flight of Fear open. But that ride will most likely be in the midst of its off season rehab, which is why it will not be open. That is also why they probably will not have TR:TR open (although I have heard that it may be undergoing more than just offseason rehab this winter). You will be able to ride the train, Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle and the two Carousels. It would have been nice if you could ride the Dodgems, like they did for WinterFest in 1992, but beggers can`t be choosers!

Screamingnight

Ahh yes nothing say fun and holiday spirit like ridding a big fast roller coaster in the middle of winter.  Yeah that makes me feel all warm and tingley inside.  Who would need a cup of hot chocolate after that?  Poor it on me would be much better.

Not to mention you wouldnt be able to see the rest of Winterfest because the snot from your nose would travel up your face and freeze your eyelids shut.

Some people are just plain stupid..... jerry.gif

something tells me its not going to be THAT cold. After all this is Ohio and it usually doesn't get below 30 degrees in the winter.

I am pretty sure that all the outside coasters cannot run at a certain temperatue. For example, Vortex cannot and will not run when it is less then 55 or 50 degrees outside. FOF will be in Rehab as well, just working on the trains and such. Im not real sure how it does in cold weather since we never let it get that cold, lol. But I can't wait for winterfest either. I loved it when I was a little kid and can't wait until I can go again this year!!!