IJST

screamingnight

Short, sweet and to the point. Even though it was WAY overhyped, it's one of the best family rides at PKI. Unfortunately, they're still working the kinks out of the ride (the helicopter now doesn't move up down, and I don't think they've installed the motion seats for the subway stair scene yet), and it breaks down a lot. But the wait is worth it.

Short, sweet and to the point. Even though it was WAY overhyped, it's one of the best family rides at PKI. Unfortunately, they're still working the kinks out of the ride (the helicopter now doesn't move up down, and I don't think they've installed the motion seats for the subway stair scene yet), and it breaks down a lot. But the wait is worth it.

It wont happen it goes to fast down the subway. I already asked.

PKIboy, that sucks about the stairs. Wonder if the fish tailing will ever happen?

The fishtailing is always on, you have to really look for it though. It makes the ride a lot smoother its just very subtle. The only time you can really feel it working is during the swerving through the cop cars at the bottom of the hill. The helicopter doesnt go up and down for a reason. The stair effect wont work because it goes to fast and would be impossible to slow down at that point. The sound doesnt work because of all the vandalism, and that is the only reason the sound doesnt work. So if you want to complain about the sound, dont blame the staff.

PKIboy, that sucks about the stairs.  Wonder if the fish tailing will ever happen?

The fishtailing is always on, you have to really look for it though. It makes the ride a lot smoother its just very subtle. The only time you can really feel it working is during the swerving through the cop cars at the bottom of the hill. The helicopter doesnt go up and down for a reason. The stair effect wont work because it goes to fast and would be impossible to slow down at that point. The sound doesnt work because of all the vandalism, and that is the only reason the sound doesnt work. So if you want to complain about the sound, dont blame the staff.

It's odd how you accuse people of complaining, when you're making excuses for the park, which is just as bad. Granted, I think IJ is a great ride the way it is, but I don't blame people for wondering why effects never really existed when they were either a part of the press release and/or announced by marketing. If PKI wants to be the Disney of the midwest, they should concentrate on innovate ways to solve problems instead of innovative ways to get out of them.

PKIboy, that sucks about the stairs.  Wonder if the fish tailing will ever happen?

It's odd how you accuse people of complaining, when you're making excuses for the park, which is just as bad. Granted, I think IJ is a great ride the way it is, but I don't blame people for wondering why effects never really existed when they were either a part of the press release and/or announced by marketing. If PKI wants to be the Disney of the midwest, they should concentrate on innovate ways to solve problems instead of innovative ways to get out of them.

Do you think the park doesnt try to fix these problems. The maintenence crews work round the clock on IJ, just so that people can ride it at 10:00 the next day. Its a bit hard to continue running things like the audio on the train when stupid guests, break the screen and rip out speakers, and if you think I'm exaggerating, just look at train number 1. Every one of the effects that Kings Island promised is there. The stair effect happens, but due to the G forces on the train in the subway, it is not noticable. There is one point where the stair effect turns on but it is while the guests are not in the train. Maybe I am making excuses for the park but at least they are valid.

So PKI has basically shut down every effect on the ride? Are you kidding? The <a href='http://consumeralertsystem.com/cas/zx-hclick.php?hid=369' target='_blank'>chopper</a> never comes up anymore ever? The sound is completely gone? I'm sorry guys, that's more than a little ridiculous. The ride really wasn't even that fx heavy to begin with and somehow what little it did have has already been forgotten after 3 months of operation? How do you let that happen? That's really dissapointing, I don't want to ride it if there's no sound and PKI has no intention of turning anything back on out of fear of the GP. That's extremely dissapointing. Hey PKINick, do you know if any of the trains still have sound or if they ever will again? I really wanted to take my dad up there this year since he rarely rides coasters and have him ride this one since I thought he'd like what effects and theming it had. It kind of saddens me that so much would not be there anymore, specifically the sound.

Dude pki beast, believe me I know alot about the ride. The effects did work. None of the effects on the train (audio, lights, stair) work right now however (other than the drifting that still works), and I doubt they will work untill post season and that is at the earliest, there is a good chance that they may not work untill next year.there are reasons behind this however and its not to make guests mad.b Right now there is no time to fix the problems and still open on time the next day. They DO plan on fixing these problems however. If you had any idea how technical that ride is with all the computers and sensors you would understand why everything cant always go perfectly. It is a brand new ride, not a brand new car. You would expect a new BMW to work great and have no problems, that is not the case here. Believe me, Kings Island wants everything on that ride to work, way more than you want it to. They dont just shut off effects and shut down rides because they feel like it or they want to make people mad. At least they built the ride and it operates, they could just be like Six flags and give their parks something new every 5 years.

What's so bad about this ride is it only had about as much theming as Adventure Express to begin with. It's a step backward from Flight of Fear, Tomb Raider The Ride, and Scooby Doo theme wise. It's hard to beleive how much a difference the theming can do for a ride as Premeir's other ride, Revenge of the Mummy, is about equal to Italian Job ride wise but is leaps and bounds ahead of it theming wise. Lets compare the price tage:

IJST $15 mil.

RotM $100 mil.

So as you can see, it's relativly cheap. While this ride was very over hyped and disappointing in many ways, it's at least smooth and causes no pain at all! I still have faith in PKI and the entire PP chain that they will do whats best for the park and it's guests.

I got those numbers from this discussion wink.gif Supposedly the budget nearly doubled once they started building the ride. Universal's got to be they only park I know that will actually go over budgets, unlike Disney which has a serious budget cutting issue, resulting in sloppy rides mad.gif Anyways, check out that link as it seems to be undetermined.

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/04/19/news_pf/...w_thrills.shtml

The Mummy ride is part of another new theme park trend. Because the cost of building one-of-a-kind rides has soared, the theme park giants - Universal, Walt Disney Co. and Anheuser Busch Cos. - all now buy multiple copies at the same time to save money. Universal poured $80-million into developing the Mummy ride for its Orlando park and a version that opens in June at Universal Studios Hollywood.

Looks like they are saying 80 for 2 of them.

I know that I read here at this web site that the stair effect has never been on. Not saying you're not right, but, I thought it had been that way since day one. I didn't think the fishtailing was working either. I've seen another coaster with the same effect, Mr. Six's Pandemonium, and the car turns considerably and I know it didn't do that.

According to RCDB, Revenge of the Mummy was 40 mill. You might be thinking of Expedition Everest, which will run 100 mill.

Revenge of the Mummy

Expedition Everest

^No I'm not, I was just misinformed!

Alright, even then it costs more than twice as much as the Italian Job to make and is more then twice as long as it in ride lenght at a little over four minutes wink.gif Has anyone else noticed Universal always spends more on the ride then the movie their theming it after? What's even more weird is that most of the rides being built in Orlando cost over $100 mil. to make nowadays blink.gif

Yup IJ:ST sure is popular ! I hear IOA(Islands Of Adventure) wants to install a ride like IJ:ST in there park in the Jurassic Park section of the park the IJ:ST type ride would replace the mini's and would be a high-thrill jeep tour attraction where you would come across dinosaurs escaping there pins etc... biggrin.gif

The cars themselves actually sit on top of the trains. They are attached by the fishtailing mechanism. If you look behind the cars you can see little red wheels between the actually Mini and the train. The fishtailing is de-activated by putting two screws into these holes that connect the mini to the train and do not allow it to move. When the screws are removed it allows the train to sway back and forth. Yes the fishtailing is over-hyped but it is there and is always there because they always leave the screws out. Next time you ride the ride just concentrate on the train during the swerving through cop cars cause thats where you can barely feel it if you look for it.

GigglingGreenGhost, that's just a rumor (a bad one at that). I have the concept art for the original Jurassic Park jeep ride (Jeep Safari) that was to be built in place of the Jurassic Park River Adventure if your interested wink.gif

Alien Seed, I believe you (It's not the first time I've been wrong). Where have you been?

PKINickRoedl, I'll be sure to look for that next time (although it wont effect my opinion on the overall ride itself).

offtopic.gif Yeah I know it's a rumor but DansJP3page.com has this to say Universal has announcement to make late summer 2006. This announcement will coincide with the announcement of a new BIG Jurassic Park attraction at Universal Orlando's Islands of Adventure and the announcement of JP4.

offtopic.gif

I think you misunderstood me. I know their getting a new Jurassic Park attraction in the spot between Flying Unicorn and Jurassic Park River Adventure. What I was saying is that the rumor that it will be an Italian Job type coaster is very far from what it will be. From what I heard they will be using the original Jeep Safari concept, that's why I offered you the concept art for it wink.gif

I also used to have the concept art for the Jurassic Park Helicoptours attraction, which was also to be built in the same spot and was originally planned to open with the park. It was later cancelled because Disney beat them to it with Sorin'!