IJST4PKD

Yes I have, and the reasons MC hammer is no longer popular is because he wasted all his money, not because he wasnt any good at what he did. IJ is good at what it does, its thrilling for multiple types of people, not just one group and thats why its a success.

What about New Kids on the Block, or those rulers that you snap on your wrist and they become bracelets. How about Furby or the Macarena. Yeah stuff is popular when it first comes out. IJST will lose popularity. Just like these Livestrong wristband clones. Lance Armstrong had a good thing - but then theres ones now that say Princess and Spoiled and stuff like that on them. Its a fad. In a few months to a year - those will be long gone as well. rolleyes.gif

Oh, I forgot, you have that crystal ball that tells you exactly whats gonna happen in the future. The Italian Job has been in the public eye for quite some time, its been made into two successful movies, one in the 60's and the curretn plus a sequel will come out soon. And how do you know IJ cant be re-themed to another movie some day? Do you have knowledge of every paramount movie coming out in the future? FOF still gets long lines every day for being agreat ride, IJ is great because its made for anyone from kids to adults, and thats why it will stay popular.

^Exactly, an IJ re-theme wouldnt be hard, and Ij will not lose as much popularity as you think. You comparing crappy fake artsits to a rollercoaster is pretty stupid when theyre too very different things. IJ wont lose its popularity because, a big variety of people can ride it and its not like anything else in the park, and dont compare ti to FOF because while it may use the same launch system they are two completely different rides. If IJ sucked and the feedback (Im not talking about the judgement of its poularity by line time, like you are, but the feedback received from surveys and intervies taken at the park) wasnt good, then it wouldnt be getting cloned, IJ wouldnt have been made in the first place if it didnt do well in the survey, and I know your gonna say like everyone else on the board "It did live up to be what they made it out to". While some of us coaster enthusiasts (and Im not talking about ACERS, but people on baords like these who are more into parks, thrill rides, and coasters than the average person) may think it sucks, the average people at the park is loving it, and its a winner.

• Like 1

Yea, I really don't find people forgetting about Italian Job the movie a problem. Does any one remember the old Days of Thunder in the Action Theater? I used to love that ride and my point is that Days of Thunder was made before I was even born, everytime I rode it I loved it even though I had no clue it was a movie, it was just a cool race car simulation thing. I think that is how IJ:ST will be eventually. Although most of the younger people won't even know that Italian Job was a movie they'll just love the ride because of the fire and shooting helicopter and helix and tunnel and whatever else. I don't think it will matter to many it will just eventually be a name and while they may not understand the themeing or what it represents they'll just like the ride.

Also, along the name thing how many of the names really matter? I never knew Outer Limits was a show until I was flipping through the channels last year and saw it on the Sci-Fi channel. I've never seen more than 10 minutes of Drop Zone and yet I love that ride. Tomb Raider was a horrible movie, but I still love the ride. I think in the end it won't really matter if people don't remember Italian Job they'll still just like the ride because they think it's fun, or hate it because they find it boring, it won't matter about the movie aspect.

• Like 1

They may end up changing the theme to the Italian Job sequal due out next year, The Brazilian Job

....they could have come up with a different name than Brazilian Job.

I think IJ's popularity will probably drop a little bit after major thrill seekers have givin it a go, but younger kids and families will still ride it. It looks like a 'big kid' attraction, but little kids can ride it. Therefore, I think it will still attract families and kids.

• Like 1

That is true. It could just be stunt track. And I was forgetting that 98% of the general public is pretty dumb - and probably half of the people that ride IJST and like it - have never seen the movie. They are totally oblivious to the fact that its theme is real, and they still like it. So maybe it will work out.

Like Tomb Raider. It is another example. Alot of people who ride it have never seen the movies or played the games. They still like it. And like IJST, it is another ride that if you took away its themeing, and made it a giant Top Spin in a beige box - it would be so boring it would be depressing. laugh.gif

IJST might work out in the long run. I don't know. I am just saying that I personally do not like it. I am not alone in this opinion, but I realize many more people do enjoy it. My main issue is that theming does not do it for me. It is hard for me to ride a ride that is totally carried by its theming and enjoy it. When I ride a roller coaster I look at the track - meaning I pretty much ignore the theming.

Answer me this Combat Stupendous. If you took IJST - put plain FOF style trains on it and set it in the middle of a giant field of wheat - would you still like it as much? Do you agree that the ride is totally stupid without its theming? Without the Minis, and the Black&Whites and the Helicopter and the fire etc.

• Like 1

Yes, Ackbar I probably would still find it thrilling, the helix is pretty intense, and I love LIM launched coasters, most people woudl still find it thrilling, theres quick turns and sudden drops, plus its smooth so it would still do good, sorry PKI isnt buidling 400 foot tall rocket coasters that have horrible reliability, too bad not everything caters to the Acers, no offense but its a famiy ride for famlies. Im not saying ACE is bad, I'm just saying, the rides for the genral public, not just coaster enthusiasts and I think everyone needs to stop getting so upset that htey put it in.

• Like 1

MC Hammer didn't really waste his money. His downfall was he had like 50-60 dancers he was paying not to mention all the other staff he had hired. That's what really bankrupted him.

I know, I know, offtopic.gif

And, as much as I don't like IJ:ST, it was a good decision for PKI. I think Cedar Point is going to have to re-think their strategy because their attendance keeps dropping while PKI's goes up.

• Like 1

I disagree - alot of people think its cool to EXPERIENCE the movie. That is what is so great about IJST. It is more of an experience than it is a thrill ride. When I am at PKI I hear a lot of people who think it's neat cause it has cars and whoa thats real fire.

Also you assume that because I am an ACEr that I want a 400 foot tall piece of **** like Top Thrill Dragster. You forget that my favorite roller coaster ever is smaller than Racer at PKI.

Do you all think that if King's Dominion theme's their IJ to the Brazilian Job they will give all the riders a free Brazilian wax job laugh.gif

By the way, you all should remember that everyone has their opinion and that they should be respected not flamed. Nothing is wrong with an argument but bickering over an opinion is childish tongue.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

PKD's will be different. Its called "street chase" because you will be chased by cops. The ride will be the same however a 4th car will be added that looks like a 1/3 scale of a cop car just like on Taxi Jam! laugh.gif Just kidding, I dont know anything about PKD's.

I think that name is pretty stupid "street chase". However if they did it differently than the other two and themed it after a police chase then it would be pretty cool. They could have police barriers in front of the track that collapse right before the cars come through and a police helicopter and road spikes and things like that.

I just hope they don't clone our IJ:ST and plop it in the park; it's better to have subtle differences between similar attractions. The perfect example is TR:TR. Ours is indoors and has (somewhat) spectacular lighting, PKD's is outdoors and has an amazing fire effect (much better than IJ:ST's).

Or maybe that's just Paramount's way of building attractions; they'll just clone rides, give them new paint jobs and a new name, and no one will know the difference. Here's a list of attractions that do this:

Inverted Face-to-Face:

Face-Off-PKI

Invertigo-PGA

Indoor Launch:

Flight of Fear-PKI, PKD, PC

Kiddie Inverted:

Rugrats Runaway Reptar-PKI, PC

Silver Streak-PCW

Giant Frisbee:

Delirium-PKI

Psyclone-PCW

Suspended:

Top Gun-PKI

Vortex-PCW

Inverted:

Top Gun-PC, PCW, PGA

Wild Mouse:

Psycho Mouse-PGA

The Fly-PCW

Ricochet-PC

I believe there's more, but the others are probably from before Paramount took over. I also forgot to put down IJ:ST, seing as how next year there will be THREE Stunt Tracks (two Stunt Tracks and a Street Chase if PKD's has the name changed) that will look and feel all the same.

I commend them for at least having unique coasters in each park (The Beast, Son of Beast-PKI; Volcano-The Blast Coaster, Anaconda, Hypersonic XLC-PKD; Borg Assimilator, Super Saturator-PC; Vortex-PGA; Tomb Raider-PCW), but this is sad.

I just hope they don't clone our IJ:ST and plop it in the park; it's better to have subtle differences between similar attractions. The perfect example is TR:TR. Ours is indoors and has (somewhat) spectacular lighting, PKD's is outdoors and has an amazing fire effect (much better than IJ:ST's).

Or maybe that's just Paramount's way of building attractions; they'll just clone rides, give them new paint jobs and a new name, and no one will know the difference. Here's a list of attractions that do this:

Inverted Face-to-Face:

Face-Off-PKI

Invertigo-PGA

Indoor Launch:

Flight of Fear-PKI, PKD, PC

Kiddie Inverted:

Rugrats Runaway Reptar-PKI, PC

Silver Streak-PCW

Giant Frisbee:

Delirium-PKI

Psyclone-PCW

Suspended:

Top Gun-PKI

Vortex-PCW

Inverted:

Top Gun-PC, PCW, PGA

Wild Mouse:

Psycho Mouse-PGA

The Fly-PCW

Ricochet-PC

I believe there's more, but the others are probably from before Paramount took over. I also forgot to put down IJ:ST, seing as how next year there will be THREE Stunt Tracks (two Stunt Tracks and a Street Chase if PKD's has the name changed) that will look and feel all the same.

I commend them for at least having unique coasters in each park (The Beast, Son of Beast-PKI; Volcano-The Blast Coaster, Anaconda, Hypersonic XLC-PKD; Borg Assimilator, Super Saturator-PC; Vortex-PGA; Tomb Raider-PCW), but this is sad.

The Beast name has been used before with a coaster down under call The Bush Beast. The Bush Beast was modeled after the Wild Cat at Coney Island Cincinnati Ohio. The park down under is close and does not look like it will open back up.

• Like 1

^The only reson why pki has more attendance than pkd is because its in a better location and because of your Boomerang Bay make over.

What makes PKI in a "better" location than PKD? PKD has a huge population to pull from throughout the mid-Atlantic, and has a longer operating season. Granted, they have some direct competition with BGW (and, probably to a much lesser extent, Hershey), but no more competition than PKI faces with CP, HW, GL, and SFKK all pulling from the same regional market.

I will agree that Boomerang Bay was most likely the catylst for PKI moving into the #1 seasonal park position last year (as opposed to their normal position somewhere in the top 3). Waterparks have proven to be huge attendance generators.

Historically, PKI has always generated the highest attendance in the chain--whether it's Paramount or KECO.

Joel

• Like 1

Well I just got an email from the public relations manager to help clarify the name of PKD's Italian Job.... Turns out it's something different than even the two names put up on the display at the entrance of the park...

The official name of ours will be “Italian Job: Stunt Coaster.†The release will be out in September.

Soo...

Stunt Track: NO

Street Chase: NO

Stunt Coaster: Sure why not...?

Am I allowed to be confused at this point?

• Like 1

PGA also has Runaway Reptar I dunno why so many clones are put in paramount parks I guess its cheaper.

You act as if Paramount is the only franchise that does it. Six flags has countless Batman:The Rides, multiple Superman:Ultimate Flights, 2 Roars, 2 Medusa's, 3 Deja Vus, 2 Mr. Freezes, multiple Premier bowls, multiple SLCs, multiple Boomerangs, and so on.

Plus they use ride names over and over like Paramount with countless Supermans, Batmans, Vipers, Flashbacks, Ninjas, Great American Scream Machines, Road Runner express, Serial Thrillers, Greezed Lightnings and so on.

Even Cedar Fair uses names over like Thunderhawk, Roadrunner, Soak City, corkscrew, mad mouse, steel venom, etc.

Disney; Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Rock n Rollercoaster, etc.

Universal; Revenge of the Mummy, plus many other comic book repeats and so on.

Really every amusement/theme park chain recycles layouts and names because it saves them not only money but if they come up with a good idea or catchy name they can just reuse it so they don't have to think out another idea, so I guess it saves them time, money, and actually having to be creative.

• Like 1