Lap Bars

screamingnight

But those trains are very different in design than what The Vortex`s trains are. To add lapbars to Vortex, which I don`t believe it needs, would either require major work on the trains, or new trains all together. And I do not believe it would improve the ride experience that much.

In the past Lap Bars haven't worked well on Arrow CLCs. They tried putting a Magnum train on Corkscrew once... Bad idea!

I once did see a roller coaster that goes through a loop type inversion with nothing but a seatbelt! I know you aren't going to believe me so I am including this link. It is a home made coaster called the Blue Flash. It looks small but its loop is like six G I think - and you have nothing but a lap belt! Not even a 5-point racing harness or anything! laugh.gif

The Blue Flash Backyard Coaster

Be sure and check out the video. In the loop, your head pretty much stays in one place and your body moves around it. Its gotta be the first Headline Roll ever! laugh.gif

With most coasters, it is the natural forces themselves that keep you in the car, not so much the lap bar. In fact, if you look at the history of coaster ride injuries, a good portion of them have occurred when a train has rolled back within a loop, which I think is a result the forces doing things to both the rider and the train that it wasn't designed to do. Keep in mind that most of this occurred several decades ago when safety restraints weren't what they are now.

Could the Arrow trains be retrofitted? I'm guessing yes, but as PKIBeast said, it wouldn't be cost effective to do so. They really couldn't market it as a new ride, and I doubt it causes the level of damage to the head the FoF once did.

Vortex is Arrow Design and fof and sob are Premier, They would have to build 3 new trains. Thats not cheap, and not worth it. The ride is not that rough, just ride in the front of a car and quit complaining. If it hurts your head then why do you ride it?? Plus At no point on sob and fof do you actually hang upside down on your restraint like you do on the corkscrewes on Vortex. Plus, Vortex is one of the only rides that everyone can ride, if it becomes like fof, then it will just be another ride that exceptionally large guests wont be able to ride.

Son of Beast and fof has enough g's to keep you down through the inversions not to much keeping you down on Vortex through the corkscrew except the shoulder bars, i think lap bars would be unsafe through that part of the ride

yes that is what i was going to say

Forces keep you in the seat, looks like boddah stayed at a holiday inn express last night,lol. What do you think actually holds you in,lol. THe oly coasters where the restraints are actually doing the work are a Invertigo boomerang cause you fall against the restraints especially the giant ones. THe only places where the forces do not do anything, and again that is whule you are lifted up the lift.

Forces keep you in the seat, looks like boddah stayed at a holiday inn express last night,lol.

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express, but ironically, I am wearing nothing but a towel. j/k

To more or less sum it up, it's possible on some rides, not on others. You can go back and forth about comfort and the "freefall" feeling, but when it comes down to it, safety is always in front of pleasure.

You can go back and forth about comfort and the "freefall" feeling, but when it comes down to it, safety is always in front of pleasure.

Safety? Safety? When did safety become part of it? LOL. J/K. Amazing how some people froget why PKI do thing that inconvience them. Its all b/c of safety biggrin.gif

In the past Lap Bars haven't worked well on Arrow CLCs. They tried putting a Magnum train on Corkscrew once... Bad idea!

I once did see a roller coaster that goes through a loop type inversion with nothing but a seatbelt! I know you aren't going to believe me so I am including this link. It is a home made coaster called the Blue Flash. It looks small but its loop is like six G I think - and you have nothing but a lap belt! Not even a 5-point racing harness or anything! laugh.gif

The Blue Flash Backyard Coaster

Be sure and check out the video. In the loop, your head pretty much stays in one place and your body moves around it. Its gotta be the first Headline Roll ever! laugh.gif

LOL I seen that on TV.