What if...

pcwfreak

I highly doubt metal would do anything, it may even make it worse. If you ever can ride Villain at Geauga Lake; it is a wooden coaster but has a steel structure. When it opened it was very smooth and rated very high in wooden coasters. I just rode it this year however and it was horrible. It was rougher than SOB and wasn't fun in the least. It just goes to show I think it's much more the actual track itself and the vehicles that are riding along the track that determine whether a ride is smooth or not. When you notice a ride being rough for the structure it's more of a shaking feeling, while when it's rough because of the track and the trains it is more of a jarring, boucing, jack hammer effect.

it would look ugly and The Beast would not really be the longest wooden.

Why would it no longer be the longest? It would still be wooden roller coaster because it has wooden track. The type of supports has nothing to do with what type of roller coaster it is.

• Like 1

Yeah what determines what a coaster is is the track. Contrary to popular belief - Adventure Express and Gemini are both steel coasters. Voyage and Hades are wood, even though they are mostly steel. All the steel supports do is save money. The actual roughness of the coaster has a lot to do with the design of the trains and the track, and how good the engineers of it were.

• Like 1

The whole helix on SOB is steel. if you ever stand right next to it shakes bad. I know its a wodden coaster but parts of it has steel on it.

Son of Beast has steel reinforcments - namely where the track goes through the structure. It has this to keep it from collapsing. The only part of Son of Beast you could really call steel is the loop because the spine and ties are steel. The track itself though is wood...

• Like 1

• 10 years later...