What Nick Attraction would you choose?

King Bowser

This thread makes me want Nickelodeon Universe back. Planet Snoopy is great and all but nothing beats late 1990s-early 2000s Nick with some Scooby-Doo mixed in between. 

As I was typing this I completely forgot that the kids' area at KI had essentially three different themes at one point. When I was younger, I remember Hanna-Barbera Land, Nickelodeon Central, and the generic "Beastie". Now that I think about it, that must have been pretty strange. 

My timeline is all off too. Was this thread started after some announcement that the kids' area would be transformed completely into Nickelodeon Universe? Someone help clear this up for me...give me a history of the KI kids' area, actually. Because I remember being little and riding Scooby-Doo Ghoster Coaster (I was crying my eyes out on it) but I also remember some giant slime station or something related to Nick??!

• Like 5

Yes. Both are true :D I'm sure that other members can give you a more complete history that I can, but here is what I know/remember:

Hanna Barbara Land was the main children's area (with Scooby Doo/Beastie and Smurfs/Phantom Theater) until the Green Slime Zone area took over the back half (near the Picnic Grove/where the petting farm is now) around the mid-90's. This included the water maze, a slime geyser, and a climbing area that was like a McDonald's play place. According to Youtube, there was also a temporary Wild Thornberries walk-through at some point. In 2001, Nickelodeon Central took over a portion of Hanna Barbara Land and Rivertown. One of the two Rivertown log flumes became Wild Thornberry's River Adventure and Rugrat's Runaway Reptar was one of the first family inverted coasters (it was beside the log flume). Hanna Barbara and Nick Central co-existed quite nicely until 2006, when the whole area united as Nickelodeon Universe and added Phantom Flyers, Avatar: The Last Airbender (which went in the place of Scooby's Ghoster Coaster), Plankton's Plunge, and I believe some other smaller rides. In 2011, the area converted into Planet Snoopy, which remains the theme today. The water maze was taken out in 2014 for the amazingly awesome Woodstock Gliders, a return (in spirit, at least) of a "Flying Eagles" type ride that once soared over Coney Mall. Also, a petting farm was added where the stage was in the back of the area. 

That was just a brief history of the area(s); hope this helps! :)

• Like 7

One of the things that made the kiddie land nice growing up and even looking back at it or comparing it to say a bigger park like WDW or US is that the rides were not all themed to the same character.

Growing up, you could fly a Jetsons space craft, drive a Flintstones car, Soar like Danny Phantom, or ride the carrousel with any character.

Now, love the area don't get me wrong, you can go on Woodstock Express, or doing anything Snoopy or Charlie Brown related. One show versus many shows contributing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

The benefit of Planet Snoopy being that Snoopy and company have left a footprint in pop culture enough to warrant their use today. They're recognized. Increasingly.

Tak? Danny Phantom? Little Bill? Avatar? Lazytown? To today's kids: Who?  :ph34r: 

Even though they're as "classic" as Peanuts in my mind, today's kids probably wouldn't be energized at the sight of Rugrats or Wild Thornberrys. If they would've stuck around, I think that would've been fine, but I can see why they didn't. By their very nature, TV shows for kids come and go.

If Nickelodeon Universe had stuck around, the rides today would probably be themed to Sanjay and Craig, Henry Danger, Rabbids Invasion, and Nicky, Ricky, Dicky and Dawn, which would leave many of US asking: Who?

• Like 7

But, but, but...

Wise parks target Mommy and Daddy. What they remember and like. They are the ones who bring the kids (or not), pay (or not) and decide how often and long.

Snoopy is a wise choice...

Kids love dogs. If they didn't know him from Astro, it wouldn't matter.

Mommy, it's a DOG!

And whoever saw an almost all white beagle with black ears, anywho? Or a yellow outside birdy? Not many of those.

• Like 6

The benefit of Planet Snoopy being that Snoopy and company have left a footprint in pop culture enough to warrant their use today. They're recognized. Increasingly.

Tak? Danny Phantom? Little Bill? Avatar? Lazytown? To today's kids: Who? :ph34r:

Even though they're as "classic" as Peanuts in my mind, today's kids probably wouldn't be energized at the sight of Rugrats or Wild Thornberrys. If they would've stuck around, I think that would've been fine, but I can see why they didn't. By their very nature, TV shows for kids come and go.

If Nickelodeon Universe had stuck around, the rides today would probably be themed to Sanjay and Craig, Henry Danger, Rabbids Invasion, and Nicky, Ricky, Dicky and Dawn, which would leave many of US asking: Who?

I disagree respectfully, let's pretend for a moment that Nick U would have stayed on. SpongeBob and Fairly Odd would have stayed.

The shows you mentioned (Little Bill, Danny Phantom, etc) would Probably need to be replaced due to reaching the end of their life spans.

But the shows you mentioned would probably not have things themed to them (let alone 2 of them are live action shows and not cartoons).

For shows today What about Paw Patrol, TMNT, Bubble Guppies, Dora, Alvin and the Chipmunks..

And Terp You are right it is targeted to Parents but also to Kids alike. We on here wouldn't know (for the most part) what it is referring to but the kids and the parents of those kids would know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2