New Record Breaker Again?

Cedar Point wants to drop one of its signature rides from its lineup. Demon Drop, built for $2.5 million in 1983, has given 16 million rides since it opened.Park wants to clear land for more projects. Coaster Buzz

Could it be a record breaker if they get it sold. its a shame to i love that ride one of the greates weightlessness rides built.

Well with SFMM recieving the all but confirmed B&M flyer next year it would give them 17 roller coasters and the world lead, even though flashback hasn't operated for 2 years now because it is still standing. You think that Cedar Point wouldn't want to lose their title of being tied for most roller coasters that they've held for many years now. This would make you think that Cedar Point will recieve another coaster next year, even if it's not that large.

Also, as far as I'm aware the Demon Drop removal is all about the cost of operation and low ridership and to clear way for rides in years to come, but not next year. Think about it, the earliest Demon Drop will be sold is November and then taking it down and all that would take another several weeks. Cedar Point hasn't even started surveying the area yet, there is no way that anything will go there next year. The earliest they could even start leveling and all that would be December. Even a ride that is fairly small like Italian Job had surveying early in 2004 and land leveling and adjusting going on in August. So absolutely no way anything except maybe a flat could go there next year.

The real place that I've heard rumors about is by Cedar Creek Mine Ride. I haven't been up to Cedar Point to confirm it but I have heard many rumors that there are markers all around Cedar Creek Mine Ride and possibly even going on to the MF island part. If Cedar Point builds a new coaster next year it will certaintly be in that vicinity, not Demon Drop. Also think, like all parks Cedar Point likes to put new rides not only where there is room but where the crowds aren't. Just like how PKI has stopped building in Action Zone for a couple years because of all the crowds, Cedar Point is also trying to get crowds to go to the more deserted areas in the park. Over where Demon Drop is used to be empty. Now, they have added Wicked Twister and MaxAir to get more people so this area probably won't get a new ride for another year or two.

In the back of the park by Cedar Creek Mine Ride where the surveying is makes perfect sense. That is the emptiest part of the park because few people are riding the coasters back there. A new coaster would get crowds back in that area and would follow Cedar Point's trend of building rides in areas that are less crowded. That is where I believe we will see the next coaster, not by Demon Drop's spot.

^I agree with you. Cedar Point could use a nice top spin there and with a top spin they would have a fairly nice collection of flats. I've also heard how if they move things around or build into the parking lot they could fit a coaster there. That is true but like I was saying earlier all that clearing of buildings and tearing up the parking lot and everything else would take quite some time, much more than Cedar Point will have to put in a coaster for next year. The earliest a coaster could possibly appear in the Demon Drop area would be 2007.

I think CP is getting rid of DD simply because of the fact that there's low ridership; not so they can install a new ride in its place, at least not next year. They said that if no one buys it then it will still be operating next year, so they can't have any concrete plans for that area.

I've also heard about the markings in Frontier Town. And, honestly, that area of CP needs something to attract guests, so I wouldn't be surprisd to see them add something there.

IMO, it wouldn't be a record-breaker. I think CP, from what I've heard, is not having the best financial year, so I don't think they would spend all the money like they did on TTD. My bet would be that you'll see a unique water attraction placed in Frontier Town, something splashy (pardon the pun).

Personally, I think CP needs to spend a couple of years getting its act together. The park has gotten dirtier, the customer service is not what it used to be. They need to spend some years rehabbing the park. Right now there's a fine collection of coasters; I don't think many people leave CP going "Gee, I wish they had more coasters."

Of course, everyone knows CP is sinking, though, so maybe it's just a matter of time before it's underwater :-)

IMO, it wouldn't be a record-breaker. I think CP, from what I've heard, is not having the best financial year, so I don't think they would spend all the money like they did on TTD.

It's not that CP is having a bad financial year, but there is not the traditional 2% to 5% increase in attendance as in years past. 2005 has seen a decrease of up to 4% from the last 2 years, but what is not being accounted for is the % increase from 2000 to 2003 when CP added rides like Millenium and TTD. Investors often have short-sightedness and will only compare to the previous year, not for the last 10 years.

And the economy has alot to do with it as well. With gas prices being at an all time high, it is not a surprise that CP has dropped a few % in attendence. Detroit and Cleveland are the largest cities near CP and each is 115 and 65 miles away respectivly.

Parks have to plan for rides/ coasters 2 to 3 years in advance, so "if" CP were to be having $$ problems that led to rides w/o a higher bill, the effect will not be felt till 2008.

Look for CP to have something big for Kinzel's retirement year in 2007.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...