Shockwave RC at 6F, Great America

OK- I've never really started a topic before (at least not that I remember)- so if this is in the wrong area, for the wrong topic, for the wrong whatever, or if it has been discussed already- i'll apologize up front.

There is (or I guess was) an Arrow (like our Vortex) roller coaster named Shockwave at 6 Flags Great America in IL. that was dismantled in 2002. rcdb.com of course has tons of pics of this... does anyone know why it was removed? It didn't appear to be in distress, and looked in good condition. They have it listed as "in storage"... why would a park dismantle a large investment roller coaster only to leave it sit... like Drachen Fire at Busch Gardens.... In KI's case with King Cobra I can understand because of a defunct company and high maintenance, but Arrow coasters are pretty common unlike Togo was.

Again, just curious.

^PGA doesn't have any thing like Shockwave, they have Demon which both the former Mariott parks still operate, SFGAM and PGA. Shockwave has essentially the same layout as the other huge arrow looper GASM at SFGA which is still operating. From what I heard Shockwave was simply rough (horrible head banging) and unpopular. Also I've heard it was very intense and the loops required the tops to be replaced every so often due to the velocity and this velocity apparently caused the horrible head banging. Also as already alluded to it was removed to make room for Superman Ultimate Flight.

• 2 weeks later...