Are you scared of ferris wheels? Be Honest

flightoffear1996

Just got back from my first day working at Coney this year. Since the summer quarter is over at UC and I am co-oping this fall, I decided to return for my fourth season at Coney Island. I ran Coney`s Ferris Wheel today for six hours. Most people really enjoy riding the Ferris Wheel (there was one kid who must have rode it with hsi dad at least ten times). The one thing they like to comment on is how fast it actually runs. I was asked numerous times if there was a "slow" setting. I believe the Ferris Wheel at Stricker`s Grove is also a 12 seat Eli Bridge Ferris Wheel, like the one at Coney Island.

I don't really like ferris wheels because I always feel unsafe in them. When I was younger I was at the Myrtle Beach Pavilion and two people fell out of the ferris wheel and one died. So that is another reason I don't like them. I have been on the one that used to be at Kings Island, I remember it swaying a lot. I also have been on the huge one at Hershey Park, that wasn't too bad. I just don't like being stopped at the top when they have to unload other riders.

I was up in New York and went to Playland and was up on a ferris wheel there and let me tell you I was very scared. It seemed like my cusions and I were not secured very good. I don't think ferris wheels are my kind of ride. I will do anything else that is secure but a ferris wheel. I don't like when you rock a little bit when it slows down and your at the top. sad.gifunsure.gif

That is why on the back of the Eli Bridge cars, it states: "Danger: Do Not Rock the Seat." At Coney, we have the right to yell at people for rocking the seats. If they still rock, we can kick them off the ride and confiscate their wristband/member ID without refund. Incidentally, the wheel that is at Coney is no longer produced by Eli Bridge, because it is cable driven. Now all the new 12 seater and 16 seat models (Coney`s is a 12 seater) are made with drive wheels. The reason is that it requires more skill and thought to keep the wheel balanced with the cable drive system than the tire drive. If you are not careful with balancing the wheel, it will start to make wierd noises, and even start to go backwards!

I don't mind the big ferris wheels where you are enclosed in a gondola, but the old ones like KI had years ago sacre me. I don't like the fact that if someone stupid rocks their seat hard enough, they could flip it over and while falling, knock you out of your own seat. I saw this happen once and it was horrible. The guy who caused the whole thing was the only one who didn't die or get hurt.

I would love for PKI to get one the big ones that I mentioned first. That would be nice. cool.gif

You have to really try to make it rock (at least the cars at Coney). You can usually tell the people that will try and rock their cars because they will try rocking it before you even start the ride up. I find Coney`s Wheel to be an enjoyable ride. The thing I don`t get, is that in my four years there, I had more protien spills on the Ferris Wheel then I did on Round Up!!