Could Cedar Fair Buy some Six Flags?

I honestly think Cedar Fair LP could quite possibly buy some Six Flags parks! I dont think that they would buy all of them but 2 or 3 i could very well see them doing.

I think Six Flags Magic Mountian is a good possibility because they want to keep the record for coasters and MM has 16 going on 17 with there new B&M flyer! So they could buy that park out and clean it up maybe relocate coasters like flash back and maybe operate all the rides instead of half of them!

Six Flags New England could be a good choice as well because there isnt any real competition for the park besides Lake Compounce. The could retheme Superman and batman Dark Knight just like they did with Geuaga Lake! the park is already amazing and the have incredable rides!

Six Flags Fiesta Texas could be another possibility becasue the park isnt huge but they could easily market this park in southern texas maybe add a nice B&M inverted to there already pretty impresive coaster line up! Add some more slides to there water park and get a wild mouse!

I really hope that this will happen if not these parks then some of the Six Flags parks because these parks need a change before its too late!

I know there are lot of rumors in the LA business press right now that CF may attempt to buy Magic Mountain. That would be a huge "in your face" to buy CP's "one up" competitor. (Not to mention add another park to the chain that's possible of year-round operation...)

While I know their desire is to sell the chain as a whole, I do agree that may be somewhat troublesome. Here's the parks that I think would do well as part of the CF chain, and would offer some real stragetic benefits to them:

1) Magic Mountain For the reasons listed above

2) Darien Lake. It's a park with a lot of local history, in a regional resort area. Plus, they already have a campground and a hotel which fits in well with CF's recent emphais on lodging/full-featured resorts. (Not to mention a few decent coasters...)

3) Great Adventure For the same basic reasons as MM (except for the year-round part)

4) Fiesta Texas Pretty much for the reasons Snapper listed above...good park in a high tourism area, capable of a pretty long operating season.

Up until the events of a few weeks ago, I also would have put SFNO on that list as well...

As a side, I wish the Columbus Zoo would find another park operator to take over Wyandot Lake. (The Zoo actually owns the park, SF leases and operates it.) Part of the Zoo's master expansion plan is to expand the size of WL up to 35 acres (from its current 18). However, SF has said they have no interest in making the financial investment to dramatically expand the park. I'd be real happy with converting it to a Soak City or a Wildwater Kingdom!

Joel

Would CF want SFMM? It has Knotts right there. But yeah I could see CF taking all of SFs biggest and best parks and leaving the scraps for someone else. What about Kentucky Kingdom? And SFOG? And SFGAm? I would think CF would want SFGAm and SFOG if theyr'e smart. But if they just want the record holder parks then yeah - SFGAdv and SFMM would be the way to go.

Of course, it's also not unusual in a case like this for an investment group to buy a whole group of properties, then sell off some individual assets (usually the underpeforming ones) almost immediately to recoup some of their investment.

After working for major hotel chains for 15+ years, I've seen that tactic more times than I can count.

I don't think the real sticking point (IF there even is a sticking point) is the fact that they have 30+ parks...it's the assumption of a $2B debt, that's roughly 2x the annual revenue of those 30+ parks (not income, but revenue...) Anyone who buys the entire chain has to find a way to neutralize the debt issue.

I'm still suprised that I haven't seen Blackstone mentioned in any of the rumors of a SF buyout yet...

Joel

Why would CP want to buy more crappy Six Flags parks. Geuga Lake was special, because it hadnt been ruined yet by Six Flags. Other than that, Six Flags parks are for the most part half assed. That is they are poorly staffed, poorly maintained, and very ugly on the eye.

CP would be much better off to continously improve the parks they have and look for parks that are growing, but need guidance, i.e. Geuga Lake.

Would CF want SFMM? It has Knotts right there. But yeah I could see CF taking all of SFs biggest and best parks and leaving the scraps for someone else. What about Kentucky Kingdom? And SFOG? And SFGAm? I would think CF would want SFGAm and SFOG if theyr'e smart. But if they just want the record holder parks then yeah - SFGAdv and SFMM would be the way to go.

I'm not sure if they really would want SFMM or not...but, that is one of rumors in the So. CA business community. Besides the obvious reason (buying your flagship's biggest pain in the *ss), the other advantage to buying MM would be the marketing economies of scale in the second largest MSA in the country. But, who knows...business writers like to gossip a lot biggrin.gif

Is SFoG wholly owned by SF, or is it like SFOT, and actually owned by another investment group and managed by SF?

Joel

Probably getting into some sort of "ideal" mode, the chain as a whole could be sold to another investor/group of investors, which would want to streamline the Six Flags lineup.

The 'new' Six Flags would include the 'classic' regional theme parks that they have either built or had for a long time, such as SF Over Texas (the original), SF Over Georgia, SF St. Louis, SF Great America, maybe others.

Other parks that Cedar Fair could buy are Darien Lake, Magic Mountain, and Great Adventure - they have a good history with both large and medium-sized parks.

Smaller SF parks like Kentucky Kingdom, Elitch Gardens, Great Escape, etc. could either end up with SF, CF or someone else - they have small footprints yet have good revenue potential.

As I started in a new topic, it seems there will not be an AstroWorld, as Six Flags is closing it to sell the land.

• 2 weeks later...

Snapper, you said you could see CP buying Fiesta Texas, New England, and Magic Mountain. I dont think Six Flags would even consider selling these, from what I've read these are some of their more profitable parks as well as much nicer parks. Magic Mountain is there flagship, fiesta texas is gorgeous, and New England has been getting better every year.

Magic Mountain is there flagship and New England has been getting better every year.

Magic mountian is not the flagship park! Do your research before u post bc Great Adventure is the Flagship park! Hint Kingda ka and there new Intamin woodie next year!!! Magic mountian doesnt bring in anything either!

And u r actually right about one thing! SFNE is an amazing park that does keep getting better! I love that park it is amazing!

I consider Magic Mountain their flaghsip park because its the one I see Six Flags promoting the most and its in the nicest condition and it has the most coasters.

dude there is no way in hell this is the six flag park in the nicest condition! NO WAY! The park is trashy yeah they might have the most coasters but only half of them work and lets see here SFGADV and SFGAM are both better parks then the shiIIThole mountian!