PKI's Ski Resort

HaUsTy83

I think it would be awsome if PKI could design plans for a Ski resort. Since we are going to have a new family indoor water park resort,why not try to come up with more family oriented projects that could bring familes to park when the rides are closed over the winter months. I'm just being creative and curious if it could or would ever happen. dry.gif

I love skiing and snowboarding, it along with rollercoasters are my all time favorites. While it would be possible for PKI to build a ski hill it is completly unlikely and makes even less sense. Building a hill would cost millions upon millions of dollars just for a tiny hill, it would probably never make back the return investment. The only actual operating ski resort that I know of that operates on a man made hill is in Michigan. Even that resort isn't just a pile of dirt they built up, but instead a land fill that they just built bigger and bigger until it was large enough for a ski resort. I don't think there is any ski resort that is just man made from dirt, way to expensive when you can build one in the rockies for a hundred times less.

I think a more senseable thing as far a giving it a resort feel would be a golf course, but that requires lots of land that in my opinion could be much better used as land for coasters and such. Now for a winter attraction I think the most logical thing would be maybe a Dave and Busters style restraunt with possibly a world class show to bring in people. Something like how they have Cirque Du Soeil at Disney World and Las Vegas on constant showings. That would attract alot of people year round and give a great Disney type feel, but once again getting a show like Cique Du Soeil to have an entire show just at your place would be very expensive.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nah...ski resort wouldn't be a good idea...on top of the money for building a hill you'd have to put in lift cables, ski lodges, etc. And it's a gamble because you have no guarantee that people want to go skiing there...Ohio doesn't really scream "SKI RESORT!!"

Personally, I think that the idea of the Great Wolf/Bear/Platypus lodge is a step in the right direction toward a year-round destination. The one in Sandusky was popular enough to make CP build Castaway Bay. My idea has always been this...open International Street during the winter. I'm serious. Only charge $5 for parking, nothing for admission...and let IS be a shopping/dining destination. Put in some quality retailers on a temporary basis. Put in a couple restaurants...maybe open Festhaus throughout the winter. Honestly...people may want to come just because the scenery is different.

yea, very "not feasible" monitarily- but it's nice to think about. never happen, though.

upper michigan is about the closest for excellent skiing. West to Boyne Highlands skiing last year.... AWESOME; was on the slopes from 9am until close- 11pm-ish...... hurt like he## the next day, but i'd do it again!

FOF1996.... depends on weather. I think that they can open on 10 straight days of at or below freezing temps. a few years ago (2000, i think) they opened a week before Thanksgiving, which i think was the earliest they had ever (there's a story for the global warming faithful).... but in years past I believe the average is about the 2-3rd week of December.