Restraint Failure

flightoffear1996

I think what was meant by winning the lottery, they were referring to a large lottery, like Powerball. Anyway, back on topic. I think restraints can fail and since it doesn't specify which restraints, I'm assuming it includes seat belts. I did have a ride once on one of the wood coasters at CP or PKI (can't really remember) and my seatbelt popped loose. Was sure glad there was a lap restraint. I managed to get it buckled back mid ride with a bit of a struggle.

Edited by PKIBeast

yep i had a similar situation at SFWoA (now GL) on Batman Knight Flight (now Dominator) when my restraint popped up and when i tried to put it down it wouldn't lock. So i pulled down extremely hard and then finally locked, man it was freaky and thank god it was on the turn before the lift hill, not the actual ride.

Yikes that is scarry! I think it is possible, but there are so many safety measures in place on rides to prevent things like that. I am glad there are back ups, like the safety belts. I was just thinking about restraint failure while riding TR on Saturday night....while hanging upside down over the bubbling water....I was holding on too. :unsure: wondering what if???? Just can't think to much when you are trying to have fun, can you?

• 3 weeks later...
I belive that is true too, but no need to ever worry about it, the seatbelt will keep you in as the ride stops. So buckle up on it and don't take it off intill the bridges come down. (This has been a public service annoucement from Captain Obvious.)

Yes true but there is no need to let that belt hold a 190 pound person in a seat. I much rather have the normal lock. That would be pretty scary if the restraint did pop open and the first little bit before the belt takes over.

Yes, but how do you explain the Superman: ROS accident. I'm pretty sure this has a block brake system, but this still did not manage to save that poor guy.

And, how do you explain two instances in earlier threads in which seatbelts were coming undone, yet the ride never stopped on any block brakes?

Edited by PKIBeast

They should put seat belts on Vortex, if a restraint opens while riding you would be in big trouble, they should put someting similar to the racing seatbelts to keep the rider in the seat if the restraints fail

With the seatbelts if there is not a sensor to tell if a seatbelt has came undone the only way is if a ride op sees it on one of the cameras places on the lift, other then that a undone seatbelt wont close the blocks. What they need are the magnetic seatbelts that are magnetically locked into place during the ride, a la 7th Portal. With the seatbelts, its always a saftey comfert, fore example on Face/0ff, it always crooses my mind, if this restraint fails without the seatbelt i am meating the asphult really quick.

-rctfreak-

• 4 weeks later...