Kings Island to Overhaul Children's Area for 2006

ZosoBeast

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how exactly this new coaster will fit into the SGC area considering SGC has to have the smallest foot print of any coaster in the world. Even something the size of Reptar has a foot print 2 to 3 times as large. They'll probably build it into the woods right by SGC i'd assume. Also, I wonder how large the Spongebob walk thru will be. Slime Zone also has a very small foot print, unless if they build it more towards the stage. Also noting that SDC had a pretty short life span, only 7 years, but then again with that type of capacity its not a surprise.

I don't know if this has been mentioned. Sorry if it has but anyone else notice this.

“The Nickelodeon Universe area and attraction detail, along with other new 2006 attraction information, will be announced after the conclusion of our long anticipated WinterFest holiday event.â€Â

Maybe I need to read it closer but does this give us a hint there is something else coming?

What do you people think of the name?

NICKELODEON UNIVERSE

I think I've already expressed my opinion in that I hate the logo, but I think the area name is alright! As said before, there's probably a purpose behind it wink.gif I finally found out why the "Universe" part of the logo looks so familiar. They just took the same font that was used in the VH1 Presents Vibe show that was preformed in 03 laugh.gif If anyone has a picture, please post it!

I don't know if this has been mentioned.  Sorry if it has but anyone else notice this.

“The Nickelodeon Universe area and attraction detail, along with other new 2006 attraction information, will be announced after the conclusion of our long anticipated WinterFest holiday event.â€Â

Maybe I need to read it closer but does this give us a hint there is something else coming?

It's most likely referring to the new Action FX Theater movie, along with the new shows, and the additions to the Nick Parade when it returns for the 06 season!

I don't know if this has been mentioned. Sorry if it has but anyone else notice this.

Nothing else is coming

I wonder how exactly this new coaster will fit into the SGC area considering SGC has to have the smallest foot print of any coaster in the world. Even something the size of Reptar has a foot print 2 to 3 times as large. They'll probably build it into the woods right by SGC i'd assume. Also, I wonder how large the Spongebob walk thru will be. Slime Zone also has a very small foot print, unless if they build it more towards the stage. Also noting that SDC had a pretty short life span, only 7 years, but then again with that type of capacity its not a surprise.

No one ever confirmed that the Ghoster Coaster was leaving.

From what I understand, the Spongebob attraction will simply be a sprucing up of the Water maze, with theming effects added. Dora`s ride, I have heard will be brand NEW, but it could be the rethemed train cars back by SGC. Now, there is quite a lot of room back by SGC if they remove several of the rides back there like the lilttle train cars, Dick Dastardlyt`s biplanes, and some of the games buildings back there. I believe we will see a spinning coaster of some kind. If it is anything like Primeval Whirl at Disney`s Animal Kingdom, it will be a hit among the young and old! I`m sure I`ll love that ride if it is anywhere near as fun as the one at Disney. SGC was a victim of very low capacity, and to me, was a rough, not very fun or thrilling ride, when I took my only flight on it back in October of 2000. I`m not sad to see it go, and quite frankly, I`m sure most kids won`t be that upset. The park has confirmed that SGC will not be returning.

I personally think it is a mistake to retheme The Beastie. Why mess with a ride that has a "relationship" to the ride that put the park in the national spotlight. But I guess they are trying to make it fit in with the area. I am glad to see that the Boulder Bumpers and HB Carousel will be back. As for retheming that ride. They most likely will buy new "horses" from Chance, the maker of the ride, to theme it to Nickelodeon. Currently, Yogi Bear, Jabber Jaws and other HB characters call that ride home.

The one thing that has me slightly worried is that one of the article says "that all the rides will be able to be ridden by children and adults" Now I know that the bumper car ride is not one of those. But does this mean that all the kid only rides will be leaving? If so, PKI is making a big mistake! The Hampton car ride, Chance helicopter ride, tumble bug, whip and the handcars are classic. Even Coney has some of these basic rides that only kids can enjoy (helicopters, Hampton car ride)

Also, don`t count on seeing a ride exactly like the Scream Machine at Coney. While that matches the description, it has a height requirement of 48" because of the OTSRs that it has (which make you hands all black after checking the bars for five hours).

Overall, next season looks to be a very successful one at PKI, with the new area, and new movie in the FX Theater (that is all the park is getting as far as new attractions). I do not know if the Mission Impossible stunt show that is up at Wonderland will be a traveling show or not like the Nick Parade. It is a little surprising that Spongebob does not get his own signature ride in the new area but oh well! I am already looking forward to the new family coaster. And hopefully the park will reward us coaster enthusiasts in 2007 like others have said to commemorate the ACE Coaster Con. But first lets get through FearFest and Winterfest! The end of my ridiculously long post!

I wonder how exactly this new coaster will fit into the SGC area considering SGC has to have the smallest foot print of any coaster in the world. Even something the size of Reptar has a foot print 2 to 3 times as large. They'll probably build it into the woods right by SGC i'd assume.

They have a lot of area to play with. They have the whole footprint that Ghoaster Coaster had, and the area behind it including such things as the Alleycat 500, or even as far back as the little train ride. There are few limiters with this... they'll tear down trees and stuff as needed.

Also, I wonder how large the Spongebob walk thru will be. Slime Zone also has a very small foot print, unless if they build it more towards the stage. Also noting that SDC had a pretty short life span, only 7 years, but then again with that type of capacity its not a surprise.

That is a very interesting point. Since we really don't know much of anything about this attraction, it's hard to see exactly how it will be layed out. My personal guess is that it's going to be something very similar to what we have no, only revamped and modernized. I really hope not. Why have a straight waterpark ride in a dry park? I hope is a well-themed dark ride attraction.

You guys are fortunate to be fans of a park that is commited to the guest experience. Yes, PKI always has somethign going on... but where... and when??

I wonder how exactly this new coaster will fit into the SGC area considering SGC has to have the smallest foot print of any coaster in the world.  Even something the size of Reptar has a foot print 2 to 3 times as large.  They'll probably build it into the woods right by SGC i'd assume.  Also, I wonder how large the Spongebob walk thru will be.  Slime Zone also has a very small foot print, unless if they build it more towards the stage.  Also noting that SDC had a pretty short life span, only 7 years, but then again with that type of capacity its not a surprise.

No one ever confirmed that the Ghoster Coaster was leaving.

Read the Cincy Post article at the top of page 2. one of them definitely mentions Ghoster Coaster leaving after this year, with the avatar coaster replacing it.

The other new attraction is a new movie for Action FX Theater. That's all.

The Sponge Bob walk through area will probably be similar Wild Thornberrys one at PGA, which was also a retheme of their Green Slime Maze. Click here to get a general idea of what it will look like, theming wise.

BTW, anyone think our Wings diner will be rethemed to a Nicktoons Cafe like PGA's was?

I'm still hoping that in the future we receive Popeyesque retheming of WWC, involving the Angery Beavers. That would be the best!

Yes, I think Wings will be rethemed to the NickToons Cafe. I don`t think the park should mess with WWC though. While the Popeye ride down at Islands of Adventure was fun. it was all in the open. I like how WWC is hidden back in the trees. It makes it feel like you are actually White Water rafting.

Yes the theming to the Green Slime Maze is probably going to be similar to what they do at PKI, only theming it to Spongebob.

I see. I never watched Angry Beavers. While I could see how that would make it a more entertaining ride. It is already entertaining by the fact that you are getting drenched around everyturn. If it was themed well and had a good storyling to it, then it woould be worth it. But without a good story line, aka the theming on Wild Thornberrys River Adventure, than I could do without.

I think that if they did re-theme WWC, they would elaborate more on the original CarWash idea, with all of the Nicktoons coming together. The name would be more like NickToons Canyon.

Or they could re-theme Wild Thornberrys and give it the name NickToons Falls. Just imagine a massive Mount Rushmore mountain greeting kids into Universe from Rivertown, but with Tommy, SpongeBob, Timmy, and Dora as the faces on the front. It could then be like Splash Mountain at Disney, just Nickelodeon-style.

AWSOME! I cant wait til media day 2006 or Gold Pass holders sneak preview!

I was told that the Spongebob attraction will take the place of Nick Theater if thats true it will be an AWSOME walk-through dark ride ! And you'll enter Spongebob's Pineapple and exit Squidwards house.

So whats this plankton free-fall all about? So Scooby's Ghost Coaster is gone?

At least I still have the Haunted Castle and Scooby is still in the park.

I never cared for Avatar my nephew hates the show so I doubt I will get a chance to ride it.He does how ever love danny phantom and spongebob.

The Sponge Bob walk through area will probably be similar Wild Thornberrys one at PGA, which was also a retheme of their Green Slime Maze. Click here to get a general idea of what it will look like, theming wise.

BTW, anyone think our Wings diner will be rethemed to a Nicktoons Cafe like PGA's was?

I'm still hoping that in the future we receive Popeyesque retheming of WWC, involving the Angery Beavers. That would be the best!

I think alot of you are reading to much in to the press. Come next year you will be let down this is Kings Island not Disney no matter how much you what it to be. I see alot of rethemeing older rides and calling them new. Plus its a kid area of the park so the rides are for kids not adults. The post said only 6 new rides and alot of old rides rethemed. This is a let down just glad I am not a kid.

So I wonder if the free fall ride will indeed be Atom Ant's Airways... huh.gif

^ Either that or a much smaller hybrid of Drop Zone and Sling Shot combined. I've seen a ride like this at Six Flags Magic Mountain as a part of their Looney Tunes kiddie area, I just can't remember the name of the ride.

Vortex:

This is Paramount Parks we're talking about. When they say they put together "multi-million" dollar attraction, really they're scared to say that they're only shelling out 25-30 million dollars at the most (that's only an estimated guess, don't get mad at me if I'm wrong); that's why they don't specify how much they've literally spent. Unlike Disney or Universal, where they spend at least 60-75 million dollars on their rides. Most noticeably Revenge of the Mummy and the upcoming Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom. thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Also, only three out of the six are totally new (Phantom, Avatar coaster, and SpongeBob FreeFall). The others are just r-themes (Dora's railway, SpongeBob walk-through, Blue's jump-around-the-house ride).

Plankton's free fall will be atom ants?

RingMaster I hear that the Spongebob attraction will be NEW but will take up the the land that Watermaze was on I hear that the nick theater will be removed and the new Spongebob dark ride walk-through will take over that area so in other words it will be one HUGE themed dark-water maze.

We dont even have exact details yet until we see concept art etc.I guess we will have to guess what the rides will look like.