Kings Island to Overhaul Children's Area for 2006

ZosoBeast

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vortex:

This is Paramount Parks we're talking about. When they say they put together "multi-million" dollar attraction, really they're scared to say that they're only shelling out 25-30 million dollars at the most (that's only an estimated guess, don't get mad at me if I'm wrong); that's why they don't specify how much they've literally spent. Unlike Disney or Universal, where they spend at least 60-75 million dollars on their rides. Most noticeably Revenge of the Mummy and the upcoming Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom. thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Its true that Disney/Universal spend a lot more money on their attractions (and it shows) but I would be willing to bet that they have a lot more money than Paramount Parks to begin with. Yes, PKI could do more with the themeing they have and will have, and they shouldn't compare their attractions to Disney's, but they're working on it. Hopefully they will continue to improve and actually keep up their current themeing (Top Gun, Adventure Express, Fight of Fear, Tomb Raider, Scooby Doo, Italian Job, general park themeing, International Street, etc.)

Vortex:

This is Paramount Parks we're talking about. When they say they put together "multi-million" dollar attraction, really they're scared to say that they're only shelling out 25-30 million dollars at the most (that's only an estimated guess, don't get mad at me if I'm wrong); that's why they don't specify how much they've literally spent. Unlike Disney or Universal, where they spend at least 60-75 million dollars on their rides. Most noticeably Revenge of the Mummy and the upcoming Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom. thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Its true that Disney/Universal spend a lot more money on their attractions (and it shows) but I would be willing to bet that they have a lot more money than Paramount Parks to begin with. Yes, PKI could do more with the themeing they have and will have, and they shouldn't compare their attractions to Disney's, but they're working on it. Hopefully they will continue to improve and actually keep up their current themeing (Top Gun, Adventure Express, Fight of Fear, Tomb Raider, Scooby Doo, Italian Job, general park themeing, International Street, etc.)

^CK's rite; they do have a lot more money than we do.

I just hope thy change their minds about the avatar ride and re-theme to something more people would enjoy and understand better (hence, SpongeBob's Boating School or even a Jimmy Neutron coaster!).

UncleHenry, I know adults can ride WITH their children on Huck`s Hot Rods, aka the car ride by Hampton (I did not know that at KI they let adults ride on it). The Hampton ride at Coney is the same way and we do allow adults to ride it with the kids).

I am confused with what the park considers "new." While I hope that they keep the trains (for Dora) and the tumble Bug (presumably the Blue`s Clues ride). I wonder why they consider those rides, (the Plankton ride included) as new rides, but not the Jimmy Nuetron bumper cars or Nick-Go-Round as new attractions.

Personally, I hope that the water maze does not return. I have never done it, and it seems out of place on the dry side of the park anyway. It would be cool to have a large Spongebob "walkthrough" attraction although a dark ride with vehicles would be better IMO. However, the park might also be using some of the space from the Nick Theater for the new coaster that will replace SGC. That is assuming that the Nick Theater is in fact leaving.

He brings up a good point. Kids will love the expansion because they will be able to ride rides that are named/themed after shows they see on television. It is the same thing now with Nickelodeon as it was with Hanna Barbera back in the `70s and `80s. The new addition will definantly bring in the families with young children! And lets not forget that the park is adding a new roller coaster too, for the second year in a row!

He brings up a good point. Kids will love the expansion because they will be able to ride rides that are named/themed after shows they see on television. It is the same thing now with Nickelodeon as it was with Hanna Barbera back in the `70s and `80s. The new addition will definantly bring in the families with young children! And lets not forget that the park is adding a new roller coaster too, for the second year in a row!

^Hopefully, the Avatar coaster will include free-spinning cars and it'll be longer and have more elements like IJ:ST.

Still, I don't care. We get two new family coasters in two years, and they're both high-quality attractions (well, IJ is, not sure about Avatar). No point in complaining about that.

"Guests enter the adventures of Bikini Bottom through a pineapple under the sea to experience SpongeBob SquarePants’ underwater world."

Personally I do not think you guys are getting the Boating School ride you all hope for, this to me sounds like a walk through.

I also think it's not the crash course as if it were, I think it would be first to be mentioned in the Press Release, but that's where Avatar is mentioned...so, who knows.

Another reasson I am glad to see HB Land go is because it offered very few rides for pre teens. My nephew was to tall to ride anything in HB Land, but he didnt want to ride any of the big thrill rides. So basicaly we rode IJ:ST, Thornberries, WWC, and a few others. Where as HB Land was completely off limits to him except for Scooby and the Rugrats. Atleast with Nick Universe there will be more attractions for him to ride.

Still....

This Avatar coaster sounds like a cool concept, as it's supposedly a first-of-its-kind coaster (then again, so was IJ:ST). I just hope its got some neat indoor/outdoor elements and will be similar to Adventure Express. Now THAT would be cool.

The RingMaster gives his regards...weird.gif

I don't understand why you peeps are getting all razzled up when chances are, alot of these "new" attractions are going to change...Need I remind you folks of Boomerang Bay. The "new" waterpark we recieved in 04 complete with "lusch greenery and sand volleyball courts."

Nice point, Sparky. Boomerang Bay was nothing more than a glorified paint job to me. The new attractions were much needed, but honestly I didn't think the "hollywood makeover" was all THAT. Nick Universe could potentially be very nice, however I will not be setting my expectations for the area. One just never knows what direction Paramount Parks will go.

As for the new rides, the release did say SIX NEW attractions, with the rest being renamed or removed. I think the freefall sounds like a Frog Hopper, which is totally different from Atom Ant's. Jeff stated in one of those articles that Spongebob was more of walk through attraction, so no Crash Course Boating School or dark ride.....I suspect it'll be similiar in concept to the Green Slime Maze. Interactive water features, but perhaps no quite as soaking as the Green Slime Maze. The first thing I thought of for the Blue's Clues attraction was that fun little thing that made its way to Carowinds this season as the Spongebob attraction. I believe that moved it from Wonderland. I could only hope for that, it was a ton of fun. I'm HIGHLY disappointed if the Chance Aviator comes into existance. Talk about a yawner and please dont' even attempt to compare it to the Flying Eagles. There are NO similarities between the two rides, despites Chance's attempts to call it the modern day Flying Scooter. Oh well.

Vortex:

^CK's rite; they do have a lot more money than we do.

I just hope thy change their minds about the avatar ride and re-theme to something more people would enjoy and understand better (hence, SpongeBob's Boating School or even a Jimmy Neutron coaster!).

Exactly...and I don't think it's fair for anyone to expect the same level of attraction theming for a regional, seasonal park that attracts 3.5 million guests, with a year-round park that attracts 14+ million guests world-wide.

However, my argument is that the park shouldn't promise "it'll be like Disney & Universal" when we (and they) all know that it can't happen because it just doesn't make good business sense. What good does that do from a marketing standpoint? It just over promises and under delivers (and it happens year after year...)

Personally, I wish I never would have read all the spin about all the lush, tropical vegetation at CDBB, and what a tropical water wonderland it was going to be. Because, in my head, I pictured Typhoon Lagoon. What we got, didn't even come close to that level of theming. Is CDBB an improvement over Water Works? Of course--a dramatic improvement. But, the marketing for it was so over-the-top, the real improvements couldn't compete with the hype.

PKI (and the Paramount Parks in general) are outstanding regional, seasonal theme parks. They can't compete with Disney & Universal on the same playing field, so I don't understand why they keep promising to deliver the same experience.

Joel

The only reason Beastie is getting rethemed is so it can blend in with the new NU area thats all.

You guys gotta remember we havent see any layout plans or anything I'm sure it will be better than we think it will be.

I cant wait til Media Day or/and Gold Pass holders sneak preview night.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but you don't lie down on the Aviator right? I think the Aviator will be more of the Adult attraction for next year (if we get it) and that the Danny Phantom Flyers will be a Kite Flyer.

user posted image

And I believe that the Spongebob thing IS Watermaze aka Green Slime Zone - just a retheme of it.

How could they retheme watermaze to spongebob? I think it's a little odd to have that watermaze still standing I mean its outta place plus I have good friends that work at PKI and they tell me it's a death trap and a nightmare to care for.

That Danny Phantom Kite Flyer makes perfect sense to me OHH and it's made by Zamperla !

One of the other parks rethemed their Green Slime Zone to Wild Thornberries. It might have been mentioned earlier in this thread - I don't know. I saw a picture of it somewhere - it is pretty cool.

As far as the Kite Flyer - we know that on this Danny Phantom Flyer - you can do it on your stomach or on your back. Either way you do it laying down. You don't lay down on a Chance-Morgan Aviator. You not only can lay down on a Kite Flyer - but you can do it on your stomach or on your back! So I really think this sounds more like one of these. Makes me wonder if we will even get the aviator?

As far as the Avatar goes - it is hard to figure out what it is. It could be a totally new type of coaster. Or by first of its kind - it just might be the first coaster in the world themed to Avatar... rolleyes.gif Like IJST - it wasn't a first, though it was marketed as such. First Premier Launch Coaster themed to Italian Job I guess... laugh.gif

Personally, I wish I never would have read all the spin about all the lush, tropical vegetation at CDBB, and what a tropical water wonderland it was going to be. Because, in my head, I pictured Typhoon Lagoon. What we got, didn't even come close to that level of theming. Is CDBB an improvement over Water Works? Of course--a dramatic improvement. But, the marketing for it was so over-the-top, the real improvements couldn't compete with the hype.

Joel

Agreed. My first impression of Boomerang Bay was "this is WaterWorks with different colored slides." I was much more impressed with Hurrican Harbor at Six Flags Great America, which has more slides in general, more thrilling slides, and more unique slides. The themeing was nicer too, but I think that may have been due to the layout.

I still prefer The Beach to CDBB, which provides an experience that can last the entire day, and has much more themeing and landscaping. There are very few open concrete areas in that park, and I'm convinced it doesn't get enough credit as being one of the better (best?) water parks in Ohio.