Fearfest Preview!

BoddaH1994

After a LONG day of doing a filming for National Geographic on The Beast and then attending Fearfest's dry run day, I have the first of what will be many Fearfest updates!

Click here to see the photos!

When Fearfest opens its gates on October 1st, it's going to be bigger and better than ever! Not only do you get to see new amazing haunted attractions like the Headless Hallow and RL Stein's Fear Street, but now you get to experience PKI's new CornSTALKERS just by walking down the midway! You're never safe when the fright by night hits at FEARFEST! Muaahaaa!!

Other notes:

• Border Cafe' has been replaced by Skyline Chili
  • The signs and curtains in the Festhaus are now all down and the old stage is exposed!
  • If you like fog, this is your Fearfest! As we left, you could see a mushroom cloud of fog coming from the park!

Best wishes (you'll need them!)

Ryan "the psycho slasher" Suhr

Great pictures!

Thanks for the update!!!

I'll hopefully be visiting Fearfest for the first time ever on the 8th, 15th, and Nov. 5th...at LEAST one of those days, hopefully all.

Looking forward to it every passing day.

(Wish I could've made it down for the video shoot today. I was scheduled to be there, and those last-minute changes kinda through me for a loop, and I didn't get my oil changed for the long drive.)

Bodda, you could have told me you were going, too. Oh well, I just spent my time ovr there with some friends from Rides/ECO.

I was only able to get footage of cornSTALKERS, Headless Hollow and the Circus, but the Circus is the only one that turned out good. Hopefully, I'll get the videos up and running by this afternoon (I'll be working on it during my lab). Sorry.

PS: Nic pics, Bodda! They look awesome! We should set up a PKIC get-together either tomorrow or next weekend. Who's up for it?

I'll be at the park Saturday... if anyone wants to meet up... just give me a time and a place! -Hauntguy

6:00, in front of the Nick Store (that way, you'll know it's me 'cause no one ever waits for people there). I'm going to sneak my camera in so I can get Fear Street and Massacre in, and hopefully re-film cornSTALKERS and Headless Hollow.

-The RingMaster

You don't have to sneak your camera in....you are allowed to bring it inside. You just can't use a flash or a light source on your video camera. That is for an obvious saftey reason, the scareactors eyes get adjusted to being in low level lighting and any sudden flash of bright light would literally blind them for a while.

Be sure you post your pics!

You don't have to sneak your camera in....you are allowed to bring it inside. You just can't use a flash or a light source on your video camera. That is for an obvious saftey reason, the scareactors eyes get adjusted to being in low level lighting and any sudden flash of bright light would literally blind them for a while.

Actually, I was filming in one of the houses and a manager came in and instructed me to stop. I had heard from a member of entertainment that you were allowed to film so long as you don't use a flash or a light, but apparently that's not true.

You don't have to sneak your camera in....you are allowed to bring it inside.  You just can't use a flash or a light source on your video camera.  That is for an obvious saftey reason, the scareactors eyes get adjusted to being in low level lighting and any sudden flash of bright light would literally blind them for a while.

Actually, I was filming in one of the houses and a manager came in and instructed me to stop. I had heard from a member of entertainment that you were allowed to film so long as you don't use a flash or a light, but apparently that's not true.

Were you at the Fear Street maze? Because that's what happened to me. Except she asked if I had a media badge, which I didn't and I didn't know that I was supposed to have one, so I said no, and she gave me an evil look and said that I couldn't film without a badge. So maybe it was just her, because I never had any other problems with the other ushers, and I do remember having trouble with that same person last year.

So I can bring my camera in tomorrow and film, but just don't have any of my lights on? I already know that I have to turn the camera light off; it's just that I thought yesterday was the only day to film FearFest.

What and where are the signs and curtains that were removed in Festhaus, exposing the old stage? Also, I thought the old stage was the old ice-rink, which was in the middle of Festhaus when it was first built.

I read a history of Festhaus somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

After the ice rink, there was a show there which had a two level stage. The bottom was removed, but the top was covered by screens 1, 2, and 3.

I wonder if Skyline will be there permanantly now, or if it is just temporary through Winterfest. I remember hearing that they would have a Skyline open on International Street for Winterfest. It seems odd that it would be permanent since they already have the one in Coney Mall, and then they have the footlong express and Coney Skyline stand by the White Water Canyon entrance and exits. Great pictures!

ALERT! THIS DOES CONTAIN MAZE SPOILERS!!!

I too was able to attend Fear Fest. I enjoyed it!

Cornstalkers, is fun, and a nice way to change up the park a bit. The costumes here were cool.

Headless Hollow was pretty good, I liked the whole train deal, thought it a nice touch. There was one guy who did an especially great job of being creepy. We walked by a box, and in it, a guy did a really weird sounding growling/clicking noise. Think of the sounds the aliens make in Signs, but a little bit deeper. I did think the ending was somewhat anti-climactic, but it's the first year, and should improve with time. I think it's a great concept though.

Fear Street was much better than House of Darkness this year. The whole nice little suburban home gone horribly wrong theme was awesome. Also, the pictures of "Emily" (The baddie of the house) are everywhere, and are slightly creepy, in that "Stepford Wives" kinda way. The actors did a great job in dealing with my joking...

Me: "Is Emily this way?"

Actor: "You don't want to see Emily, trust me!"

My favorite maze of all of them is once again Psycho Path. It was almost exactly the same, so I knew what was coming, but it still rocks. Also, the best bit of actor/guest interraction happened in here...

Girl in group (In high pitched, child-like voice): Hi, What's your name?"

Actress: "Berry, what's yours?"

Me (In another high-pitched, child-like voice): "Berry! I like berries! They are yummy!"

Actress: "I bet you're yummy too! Yummy yummy!"

Me (in same voice!): "I like yummies!"

OK, so it wasn't scary, but it was a nice bit of improv (which I feel is importaint to this kind of thing).

This year was my circus of horrors trip ever, and I must say, I liked it! While not scary, it definatly was confusing. The dot scene, where you don't know where the exit is really confused our group leader and walked right into a wall! Also, the second dot part with the guy who blends in with the wall was a great effect, but poorly executed. The guy didn't match the background quite right, and it was clearly visible that the area of the room the guy was standing in wasn't quite right, so as soon as he started moving, we knew what was coming. Also, the "spinning" tunnel at the end was great. As this was the first of these things I have ever walked through, I definatly didn't know how much that really does effect your balance! Also, yet another notable mention of an actor in the maze. There was a part where a hall was lined with clowns, so obviously one was an actor. We walk by, and instead of jumping out, he just honks his horn at us! Definatly made me laugh!

Massacre Manor was also new to me. It was ok (especially the guy at the start of the maze who hid inside the boxes...

Actor: "Who's the short one?"

Me: "[insert female group member's name here]"

Actor (a little bit further along the maze): "Is [name] still there?")

but the rest of it was kind of lame. I mean, what was up with just walking back and forth between empty wine holders? I'm sorry, but it was kinda a dissappointment.

Coney Maul made it's return with the "sliders" as I call them. They look like Darth Maul kinda, but they are still sweet as ever. Still my favorite characters in Fearfest.

We did not get to Maze of Madness, by the time we got out of the last maze, it was 10:01 (foiled by the clock again!)

I think I mentioned all of the mazes (cept MoM), but if I forgot one, just tell me, MoM was the only one we missed.

There is one thing that I didn't like: The over-kill of the Headless Horseman theme. They had the exact same effect for the 2 Horseman mazes (walking through the heads on strings), and everyone in my group mentioned that effect reappearing. I know Sleepy Hollow is Paramount's big scary movie (in recent history), but my group thought it was a little overkill for it to have a full area.

Of course, I left out alot that happened. It wouldn't be fun if I gave everything away, now would it! Here are my awards for FearFest 2005...

Best Overall Maze... Psycho Path! (3rd year running). With it's "Where the hell are we?" feeling returning once again, being lost in the woods has never been more fun.

Best Maze to Have a Good Time... Circus of Horrors 3D! (1st time winner). With it's crazy music and confusing layout, it's sure to be the talk of your friends at the end.

Best "New to Me" Maze (for maze that I had never been through before)... Circus of Horrors 3D! It beat out the 2 Horseman mazes for its creativity in the effects. By far the best special effects in the park.

Most Improved Maze... R.L. Stien's Fear Street! It's new look and story give it a much needed lift in foreboding. No londer are you just wandering around a random haunted house, but notice something isn't quite right ("Why are these pictures everywhere...")

Best Potential in a Maze... Headless Hollow. The train idea is brilliant, and I'm glad to see rides get incorporated into the haunting experience (Route 666 is still one of my all time fav attractions). While it still needs the work all 1st year mazes need, it definatly has the chance to take over as my top maze.

Needs Most Improvement Maze... Massacre Mannor. Yes, the beginning was cool, and had good guest interation, there were major "dead" spots (pardon my pun) where nothing seemed to happen. The biggest example was the wine cellar area. Was that supposed to be scary?

I must say thought, that in my 3 years of going to FearFest, this has to be the best one yet. The fog machines that are EVERYWHERE add a much needed feeling of evil all around the entire park, and the new "scare zone" of Cornstalkers was also a much needed improvement. Now, everyone gets a chance to be scared, even those who are to chicken to go into the mazes (just make sure you don't tell them there are monsters in Cornstalkers and Coney Maul). A congratulations goes out to everyone involved in FearFest this year!

'K, who all is going tonight for the official opening of FearFest? I know I am, but I gotta process my '06 season pass when I get to PKI. I'll be there at 4, so anyone else comin?

O yeah, and the Headless Hollow finale leaves a lot to be desired (meaning it needs a LOT of work).

-The RingMaster

There was one guy who did an especially great job of being creepy. We walked by a box, and in it, a guy did a really weird sounding growling/clicking noise. Think of the sounds the aliens make in Signs, but a little bit deeper.

HAHAHAHA that was me, except i was behind it

Going off what UncleHenry said, one of the best new things of fearfest this year is how the live scares are allot more interactive. Very few boo and done people this year.

Best example is a family I was behind, the father told Jessica his daughter, to walk slower, a actor heard it and made 3 or 4 references to her name, and than running around backstage to another point later in the maze to say it again.

As it should be! Doing (Cappy award winning) theater in high school taught me alot about acting, and improv is a major part of acting, especially live acting. I was joking around in one maze with my friends, and one guy jumped out and I made a funny reference to him right in front of him. Now, I expected him to start following me, especially since he was glaring right at me when I made the comment (and trust me, it wasn't rude), and he didn't try to "seek revenge" by stalking me, like the sliders in Coney Maul love to do. I was actually trying to egg him on to do something, and he did nothing. Quite a dissappointment. Maybe I should do FF next year, teach these kids a lesson in scare tactics...