Wind and sob

TheRickster

I'd say you could maybe see it sway a little. But I'm sure there is steel reinforcement so that it won't sway too much. Coasters are built to have a good amout of sway in them so they can actually absorb the forces that are applied to it, be it forces of nature or a 4-ton train. This helps it last much longer.

(Note: That's my guess on the weight of a wooden coaster train. Don't take my word for it.)

All coasters have a certain amount of sway in them, and they are designed to as well. If there was not a sway allowence, the structure of the ride would actually destroy itself, because it would be fighting the wind as opposed to blowing with the wind, and springing back. I would have to imagine SoB's sway for the first hill is probably 6-10 inches. This is probably how the sign fell over (if it was not a tornado), it was low enough to the ground that sway was factored into the original design, and after many years it was weakened and it took a violent storm to crack it near the base

I was watching the Discovery Channel about the WTC, and when they designed the towers, they accounted for a sway of about 3 feet. And, I believe, the Sears Tower in Chicago can sway up to 6 feet.

When you are on the Effil tower no matter how much the wind is blowing it always seems like it is swaying

Thats because it is.

If things like that dont sway, they would simply snap and come crashing down during any kind of winds.

Absolutely correct. It is always swaying, but I don't know about the whole snapping and crashing down thing. It's made of steel, which can stretch under pressure. That's why any wind will cause it to sway, and being 300+ feet tall, there's always some wind resistance.

It does have the potential to snap, although irs probably not something to worry about. However, it's actually safer to sway than not to.

You know what would be cool? Spending the night up on the tower..... It would scare me to death, but would be a cool experience, none the less.

It does have the potential to snap, although irs probably not something to worry about. However, it's actually safer to sway than not to.

You know what would be cool? Spending the night up on the tower..... It would scare me to death, but would be a cool experience, none the less.

lol.. don't worry, the ghosts would keep you company! :o If you spent the night in the tower, it wouldn't matter what season it was, it would get really cold up there at night.